Transponder install

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
captnkirk
100+ Posts

Transponder install

Post by captnkirk »

Tomorrow I'm taking my m5 for a new Appareo transponder ,that along with my stratus will be my ADSB solution. I have a PS Enginerring audio panel I'm going to replace my old intercom and km24 panel. I be able to play some tunes and hopefully better quality on the intercom and radios. Going to use Pee Dee Avonics in Cheraw SC a friend used them for some work and liked the results. When I get finished with this wil get my other door done then the paint touch up.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Man you're moving right along. Let us know how it goes.

I installed the ESG and 2i last week in our Champ but they support their dealers pretty well and a dealer must validate the warranty so I am scheduled Tuesday at Carolina Avionics in RUQ for the 91.413 and registration if WX doesn't bite me. I think we're really going to like this setup.

BTW, how you doing with the AOA install?

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

not sure when I'm going to get to that or should say the shop. the install doesn't look to hard but do need a sign off on that. I had been thinking of doing my annual early and would do it then. Mine is during the summer right now would like to move it to a winter month when I don't fly as much. question of timing and money. May shoot for Jan or Feb if all goes well.
Kirk Johnson

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Doing an annual early is like leaving money on the table. I usually try to gain a month. The Safe Flight unit should not take that long. We just did an Alpha Systems unit with more parts and it didn't take long at all.

Hope you got your Stratus ESG installed. Got ours certified yesterday. Pretty sweet.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Yea I know but right now the annual interferes with summer flying . Winters just don't have as much flying time and it's easier to be in that nice warm hanger like you and I have🙄 I'm getting a new audio panel so I hope late next week. ThatvAOA should not be much more then a days work for the install plus the flight testing to set it. How do you like yours so far we'll have to get together and compare notes when I get mine in.
Kirk Johnson

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Finally got a chance to fly with Jess Sunday and do initial setup. Probably still more to do but so far nice little trinket. May change location.

Will try to accomplish my ADS-b validation flight in the morning. I have till mid Dec. to get it done and looks like weather may get bad again.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

looks like today was a good day for that validation flight. I will get mine on the way back from Cheraw. I've done the sign up for the rebate so that will help defray cost a bit. I plan on mounting my aoa indicator between the v brace so I can see it from either seat. Where did you put yours Gary? Last I talked to Shannon at Pee Dee he was thinking I should be finished late next week which works with my work schedule. My son was down in Lumberton when I dropped off the Maule so he picked me up may need to make other arrangements this time.
Kirk Johnson

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Put it above the airspeed on the glare shield bur like you am thinking about moving it to the v brace.

Validation flight went great. Came home and went online to ask for report. In less than 30 minutes had report with incentive code. Went online tonight to do final thing and it shows red block where my airplane date of mfg should be and says there is something with my registration not making it eligible. Strange, I've owned it for over 25 years renewing it every three years without a glitch. Never expected it to be easy but gonna rattle some government cage tomorrow.

firstmaule4

Post by firstmaule4 »

Keep us informed on the status of your paper work. My m4 comes out of the shop next week with a new stratus and I plan on validating as well for rebate, however no trouble signing it up for program as long as done by Jan 22

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Think I found the problem. Did an N number lookup and under the year mfg. block it says none. Not sure when that got changed. Since it takes about a month for anything to happen at the registry and I have two weeks to claim the rebate this is going to be fun.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

My aircraft registration record has NONE for date of manufacture, too, Gary. I emailed the FAA registration folks to find out how to include it. They'll probably want an application form, but I'll let you know what they say.

I'm considering replacing my KT 76A transponder with a Stratus ESG as well. I was in favor of the Garmin GTX 345 but it's a fair amount more expensive. Did you have any trouble getting the ESG installation approved without your Maule being on the STC Approved Model List?

I know that the FAA has a letter out there that gives the avionics dealer more latitude even without the STC AML, but I haven't heard from anyone about how effective that has been.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

That's the problem and I'll be talking to OKC in a couple of hours.

You'll love the ESC. Can't imagine paying more. I bought the unit with the Stratus 2i and a permanent mount is great.

I actually put this one in the Champ so no issue there but some time ago put a KT74 in our Maule and same issue with not being on approved aircraft list. Just reference the FAA memo of March (I think) on the 337 and rock on. On that one the 74 was a plug and play for the 76A so just logbook entry for that part and then a 337 to reference the memo when I added the speed switch and linked it to the 430W for ADS-B.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Gary, I got an email back from the FAA aircraft registry folks in just about 2 hours and they added the date of manufacture that I sent them in my email to the registration record without asking for anything else. Here's what I said in my email to them and their response. Hope it helps.

My email to them
My aircraft's registration record for N5663N does not contain a date of manufacture, which is 1986. I understand that once I equip this airplane with ADS-B Out, the date of manufacture is required. How do I include this information in my registration record? Thanks.

Their reply
Mr Meranda,

The information has been corrected for N5663N, Maule MX-7-180, serial number 11021C in the Aircraft Registry system. The FAA website updates every Federal working day after midnight CST, so the update will not show until Monday.
Once the update is finished, the ADS-B system will update on Monday night. If your registry is updated after Monday, the update will show up the following week. If you have any additional questions you may contact the ADS-B rebate program office at ADSBRebateHelp@faa.gov

Thank you
Tms-unispec
Andy
1986 MX7-180

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Andy thanks for doing the ground work I'll check mine when I get to the hotel tonight . Hopefully they have the data right with my reg just a couple of years old but you never know. Have the fires slowed down with the rain? I can only assume you have been busy over the last couple of weeks.
Kirk Johnson

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Kirk, Tuesday and Wednesday's widespread rain helped a lot. Prior that that we were on maximum readiness plan for over a month and I was working six long days a week. Now we're back to normal fire readiness until March. I haven't had a chance to fly the Maule since we stopped in at your place. The Cessna 185 that I fly at work has been down for a 100 hour inspection and has some problems that the mechanics are working on so I've been flying a 182. Not very exciting but a good basic airplane. I'm just not that into nose wheels.
Andy
1986 MX7-180