Transponder install

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Talked to nice lady at Aircraft Registry this morning. The fact that the Champ (L16A/7CCM) started its life in the military and civil records only started in 1956 when it was transferred. We talked several times today and this afternoon I sent her a pic of the military name tag which shows it's birthday in 1948. Hopefully she will be able to rectify the situation next week.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

The deed is done rebate form completed the check is in the male opps old joke. It is hard to get excited over a transponder but just got back home flew thru CLT class B for the required 30 mins 31.1 to be exact the test page showed all green so I'm good to go or should I say to be tracked. No more cutting to close to any airspace or tfr's or anything else that can generate a call from our "we here to help" friends. It was nice picking up the free wx and all the other traffic. In fact I was able to spot a vfr target that approached called out. Knowing he was a couple 100 feet above me helped to direct the scan in the right place. The upgraded audio panel was welcome also much better clarity on the radios. Played a couple of tunes from the phone over the ICS my wife will like that. The PS engineering has a seperate audio input in the back so the grand kids can watch a movie on thier ipad now. Now back to that other swing out window and door latch. The Appaero doesn't have the functions some of the other transponders have but the cost was right and the install was straight forward. The only hic cup was a new alt encoder was needed, the old one keep reading off a couple thousand feet. A good rap would correct it but I had it replaced they are cheap(for airplane stuff). I guess out the door the transponder was about $3800. I am happy with Pee Dee Avionics talking with Shannon he said his lead time is a couple of week for just a transponder and anything else would add to that. It's a small shop just one or two jobs at a time but clean and effiecent. I will go back if I need anything else done radio wise.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

StuporRocket
100+ Posts

Post by StuporRocket »

Kirk,

Are you still happy with your Appareo unit and which PS Engineering Audio Panel did you choose? I just bought an M-7-235 that has never had a Tpdr and currently has a KMA 24 Audio Panel with a DC intercom. I already use the Stratus 2S so my radio shop recommended the Appareo and I think I'll swap the KMA24 like you did.

Your thoughts so far?
Scott@Oglesby.org

"Don't follow me. You won't make it."
PA-12-150
M-7-235

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Cant answer for Kirk but am quite happy with our Appareo transponder. Just finished helping a friend with an install in an arrow and he was happy enough to turn around and order one for his Seneca.

Have used a couple of PS engineering intercoms and liked them but unless you don't like your intercom I remember that the KMA24 was a pretty descent audio panel.

StuporRocket
100+ Posts

Post by StuporRocket »

Thanks, G.

The 24 is a great panel but the DC intercom isn't a great intercom. The advantage to the PSE panel for me is the integrated intercom (and music). Other than the fact that I hate "Big Brother" watching, I can't think of any reason to not go ahead with the Appareo now.

Beyond that, I plan to remove the two HF/VHF/UHF radios, and the ADF. I'll add the PSE & Appareo, leave the two 155s, and later swap one of those for a 430/HSI combo or similar. All-in-all, I'm removing anything I don't need or won't use, and updating the rest.
Scott@Oglesby.org

PA-12-150
M-7-235

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Sounds like a great plan.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Stuporrocket I installed a 7000 series i had picked up I like it so far the old km24 was working fine but my intercom was giving me trouble. I love the Appareo transponder with the stratus and Firefight. My Narco was still working but with the rebate from the feds and the discount I pulled that trigger. According to the shop that did mine lead times where increasing so sooner was better. Like Gary I live under the class b of CLT so I had to be ready for the deadline. Sounds like you I didn't have a was source in the plane so it covered the bases. I don't think prices will get any lower and may go up due to demand. I'll be at sun n fun if your there you can take a look.
Kirk Johnson

StuporRocket
100+ Posts

Post by StuporRocket »

Thanks, Kirk.
Our reasonings are the same. I use the Stratus on ferry/reposition/delivery flights all the time so I wanted to stick with the same program/app for this one. Give me a shout at SNF. I'll be there. I'm based on the north side of the field.
Scott@Oglesby.org

PA-12-150
M-7-235

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Will do I hang out with the Maule's and will be working with the APA at the union tent in the evenings. I usually go to the fish fry at the vintage aircraft I think it is Thursday. I normally park in the vintage camping area so look for my plane usually not a lot of white Maules like mine.
Kirk Johnson