Performance Exhaust

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
bobguhr
100+ Posts

Performance Exhaust

Post by bobguhr »

Anyone here have a line on a performance or better than stock aftermarket exhaust, specifically O-540 Lycoming? I'm thinking cross flow pipe and some sort of ball and socket muffler to tailpipe connections.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Atlee Dodge in AK makes a much stronger exhaust with flame trap supported both ends, heat collectors under the heat shroud, and just one slide joint on centre header/riser.
The risers are not choked down as on the Maule muffler though the tailpipe is same size.
It weighs a bit more and costs a bit more but not significantly if you are having difficulty keeping your Maule mufflers healthy
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

I've got a Vetterman exhaust I haven't had installed yet for my O-360. Supposed to work better according to the guy I bought the plane and exhaust from.

onfinal

Post by onfinal »

Just to add another name to the mix... Power Flow Inc.
I know nothing of the quality of their product nor the competency of their designs. I came across the company whilst searching for options when my mufflers needed replacement, as they have a UK distributor.

They have a listed system for the 4 cylinder Maules but not the 6 cylinder. There is a 6 cylinder product, for the Bonanza I0520, however looking at the system's bunch of 'writhing anacondas' I am unsure it will fit inside a Maule's sleek cowl.

I chose to stay with Maule and replaced both mufflers.
M6-235

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

Dane @wemakeyoufly was developing a performance exhaust for the maule, not sure where it ended up

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Get a hold of Tim Bonner from Vaughn's Egg Ranch in WA
You will be hard pressed to find a better product or people. He has done extensive work on this. The exhaust is the Achilles Heel of the Maule
Live it like its your last day.

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

Kirk;

Took me several years to figure out Tim's last name Boughner is pronounced Bonner. I was saying Boffner rather than Bonner.

Tim's Aircraft is the company name.

TD

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Thanks for correcting me Tom!
Live it like its your last day.