Garmin G5 EFIS

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Jayson v Schalkwyk
100+ Posts

Garmin G5 EFIS

Post by Jayson v Schalkwyk »

Hello all,

Another maule owner here in SA asked me what I thought of the Garmin G5 stand alone EFIS. According to the Garmin website and specs it's aimed at the EAB, light sport market but could end up being used in certified aircraft like the Dynon mini EFIS.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/in-the- ... 14383.html

I do like the idea of it, and could be adapted to include a second screen for the HSI, all the nav capabilities and the integration of the unit.

I would appreciate any other views or feedback.
1983 M6-235C

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Been looking at it also, not so much as a horizon but for the HSI function. Would love to get rid of the nav head and move instruments one hole to the right so they line up on the yoke. Only other viable option seems to be the NSSD-360A and it is a heavy old school instrument unless you can find one pulled out for upgrade.

Guess a couple of the G5s stacked up there would look pretty nice. Too bad they can't recess in the panel. Don't much care for the sitting out.

Jayson v Schalkwyk
100+ Posts

Post by Jayson v Schalkwyk »

I had not heard about the G5 until I was asked. I also liked the idea of the double stack, 1 as the PFD and 1 as the HSI. I really like the idea of the integration that can happen in stages as budget allows.

The fact that the Garmin still only says for ligh sport and EAB aircraft plays on the back of my mind.
1983 M6-235C

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

No worries, the unit is now available as certified. Just cost twice as much.

st8cop166
100+ Posts

Post by st8cop166 »

That's correct. It is now certified and available. First ones due to ship about 13 October. I don't think the HSI is available on the certified version but I've been wrong before. If you HAVE a Garmin GTN650 or 750, you won't need a secondary WAAS antenna. I'm told by Garmin that if you are using a 430W or 530W, you will need a secondary G35 WAAS antenna. Quote from Garmin: integrates with the aircraft’s existing pitot/static system to display attitude, airspeed, altitude, vertical speed, slip/skid, turn rate, configurable V-speed references, barometric setting and selected altitude as well as visual alerts upon arriving at the pre-selected altitude. GPS-based track and groundspeed information is also displayed. A dedicated rotary knob also allows for easy adjustments to barometric pressure setting as well as altitude and ground track bugs.

Expensive piece of avionics unless you do some IFR flying.
Last edited by st8cop166 on Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former Maule owner . . .twice
1960 PA18 N87314

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

I don't know about the Garmin but I jettisoned my vacuum system earlier this year and have flown all summer (about 100hrs) on the Dynon D2. It's really a slick unit. Weighs a half pound. I mount/unmount each flight. $895.

1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

BatMaule wrote:I don't know about the Garmin but I jettisoned my vacuum system earlier this year and have flown all summer (about 100hrs) on the Dynon D2. It's really a slick unit. Weighs a half pound. I mount/unmount each flight. $895.
Hell yes! I like it.
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Absolutely right, Tec at Garmin confirmed that not available in HSI mode for certified acft. Actually he had to ask someone else. Knew very little about the unit. Think it might be a little early for what seems like a pretty neat product.

ajak
100+ Posts

Post by ajak »

Looks like that's just changed- DG/HSI configuration now good for certified planes. Bye bye vacuum pump!

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/57066 ... 0-00280-20#
AJ
1983 M-6-235
IO-540W1A5D, 81" Hartzell, 4" ext gear, 31" tires, Atlee exhaust, long wings, VGs, LED ldg/nav/strobes, EDM-900, CiES

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Nice, might be in my future. I'm flying with my JPI 900 now and love it. I can only imaging the G5 stuff will make it that much nicer and modern.

SlowFlyer

Post by SlowFlyer »

I have a G5 unit installed on the Maule and I have to say that its a great unit for the price. I use the whole six pack just looking at one small screen, you can hook up to an external antena or gps and magnetometer and you have HSI/DG. I understand is now all certified as STC, Garmin webpage has the info.
I don´t have the magnetometer and have not hooked it up to GPS but the internal GPS works fine, no problems so far.

With nothing hooked up to but pitot/static I get attitude indicator, VSI, altimeter (baro setting corrected), IAS, course, heading bug, hsi (with no info), turn coordinator and ground speed. Just having that I think is worth it.