Landing lights

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
pilot
100+ Posts

Landing lights

Post by pilot »

Has anyone seen/done the dual style landing & taxi lights in place of the single lights on a Maule? A friend of mine is switching to LED on his super cub and they look really sweet. It doesn't look like it would be difficult and should get approval fairly easy?
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

MizzouMaule

Post by MizzouMaule »

I replaced my landing lights with Aero-LEDs. They're very bright and have built-in wig-wag capability so you don't need to add a box for the pulse. Just add a toggle switch. I think they're $400 apiece, but should last a long time. I love em. But I already had a light on each side.
Bill
1998 MX7-180C

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Two lights on each side is what I'm talking about.

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

4 lights? They would have to be LED as our electrical system has a hard time managing the load of 2 4509's. Haven't seen or heard of anyone doing duals...
M5

n2020u

Post by n2020u »

I read your post yesterday and couldn't remember where I saw a maule with four landing lights.. Then I remembered! Check the link;second picture. Now THAT setup is awesome...similar to a Husky!
Is the owner of Zk-MTP on the forum?

http://nzcivair.blogspot.com/2016/03/hb ... e.html?m=1

Garrett
Garrett

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

You could also do 2 supercub doubles easily... or even just fabricate what you want in lens / cover department, scrounging fixtures from Maule, Cub, Cessna, etc... Nice thing about the cub stuff is that it's same identical LE profile as the Maule... I also believe that a logbook signoff would be all that would be necessary as negligible W&B change and certainly not major alteration if you used legal LED's as current draw would be less the orginal even with 4ea lights!!
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

That is pretty cool!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Yep, I was thinking less draw, even with 4x lights. I'm going to do it. I fly from an unlighted grass strip and do not plan on doing night ops here atall, but in the past I have been in some pretty rough places coming in right at dark and wished for more light.

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

Sullivan

Landing/taxi light

Post by Sullivan »

I put in Aveo lights. They are a combo landing and taxi light. One each wing, wing wag and very bright.

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

I have an LED in one wing, and an incandescent in the other wing. Both are aimed wrong because neither does a very good job of lighting what I need to see either on approach, or when taxiing. I found out the hard way when headwinds delayed me into making a night landing at an airport that had poor ground lighting. I made it in, but it was a high pucker factor landing. Is there a reliable method of adjusting the lights on the ground without a lot of adjust/fly/readjust trial and error cycles?
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Get an idea where they are aimed when out at night, than get close to hangar door and mark centre of beams, the back away from door and re mark centre of beams. Are they parallel, if not, remove fitting and adjust.
They can be adjusted up, down, or to sides with the adjustment screws in the slots.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide