Additional cargo tie-downs

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Additional cargo tie-downs

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

I frequently carry some, shall we say, cumbersome cargo and frequently find myself wanting tie downs up off the floor boards. With the back seat out, I have the classic 6-points to tie down to. I would like to add at least two to the back bulkhead and at leat one to the Pilot's side somewhere below the window. This will facilitate tieing down 3'+ long snowshoes, 15-30 gallon fuel jugs, propane bottles and the like.
These tie-downs don't have to be very strong. I am mostly concerned with two things. 1) Keeping things a little tighter in turbulence 2) In the event we abruptly stop, there's that much less of a chance of keeping things from braining me. (I think the Labs would appreciate a tighter cargo too.) I do now and would continue to keep the heaviest weight forward and low.
My thought was adding Adell clamps around the tube sections at the appropriate height extending the "bolt" end towards the cabin area with a "loop" finishing it off. This should provide the strength I need, the location and all without any welding being done on the fuseleage.
OK, anyone who has already accomplished this, please let me know what and how you did it. I would like comments too from you "out of the Box" thinkers!
Thanks, Kurt

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I think your idea of Adel clamps is a winner. The only thing permanent would be a small hole in the interior.

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

I think you are on the right track there too. Have pondered this very same subject. You might try F. Atlee Dodge right there in AK: http://www.fadodge.com/product%20overview.html

They market floor tiedowns that might be able to be clamped to the tubing. Let us know what you come up with!

Kirk

donknee
100+ Posts

Post by donknee »

I was thinking that the clamps are a good idea, too. Possibly a short "pig tail" of stainless steel cable with swaged/thimbled eyes for attachment. It would be important to have a "fair" lead to maintain proper loading of the clamp and cable. :roll:
1976 M5-235-C

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

I'm familar with those and they're pretty neat. Cessna has some good ones too. I'm not adding anything permanent to the floor until I get around to the recover and refloor of the AC. At that time, the upolstry idea will be rethought too. I was just letting the mind wander for some upper tie down ideas. I thought for sure I wouldn't be the only one to be needing these. You guys are so resourceful anyway!

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Anyone know how to look up the specs on something that is Mil-Spec? There are some great tiedowns available that are surplus and have a mil-spec number.

Might help make a modification more palatable to the FAA.

Kirk

chetharris
100+ Posts

Post by chetharris »

Kirk,
Try looking up specs at: http://www.dscc.dla.mil/Programs/MilSpec/DocSearch.asp or http://www.globalspec.com/ . I have used the first to find government documents and drawings that identify MIL-SPEC. The second to find broader specification data.

Chet

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Thanks Chet,

Both look like great links.

Kirk