T3 Tailwheel from ABI

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Vtaildriver

T3 Tailwheel from ABI

Post by Vtaildriver »

Saw that they are pursuing an STC for the T3 tailwheel. Looks like a new topic for discussion.

http://www.airframesalaska.com/T3-Tailw ... s/1899.htm

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

Kinda surprised this didn't get more discussion. Looks like this could solve a few issues on the Maule.
Let Freedom Prevail

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I wanted to comment but I don't have much. I would be concerned about wear and tear. Otherwise if the price stays in the range it currently is, I would be more than happy to pony up and buy one.

Vtaildriver

Post by Vtaildriver »

Make sure to check out the video ABI uploaded to Vimeo showing the "Piper style" T3 in action.

https://vimeo.com/149978527

I am in the same boat as Mog, if the price stays in the sub $900 range as it is now albeit experimental only version I feel most Maule drivers will bite. Lets hope they don't incur stc costs that doubles the price.

Chris

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Certainly handles the rough stuff. The takeoff roll is something...what roll.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Not convinced. Cool idea and time may prove it a winner but that is a lot more parts to fail in the back country. I'll watch and wait.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Interesting idea but I'd have to see some more data to accept that it handles rough terrain better than the Airframes Alaska tail spring. What's the length of travel of the strut for example? Is it more than the leaf spring? What happens when the strut bottoms out vs. the tail spring? How long before the strut starts to leak hydraulic fluid and lose its effectiveness as it ages vs. the tail spring weakening as it ages? The T3 assembly is certainly heavier than the tail spring. What does that mean for an already heavy Maule tail in terms of elevator effectiveness on landing and ground handling? The tail spring kit is $275. The T3 is $875. Is the $600 price difference worth it?
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I bet you would be surprised. The system runs bicycle shocks with the Maule one being dual coil sprung units and the cub one having an air unit. Depending on materials it very well might be the same weight or even lighter. And though leaf springs can travel a lot, I doubt you could ever get your Maule tail spring to travel near what the T3 unit does without breaking something.