Elevator gap seals

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Mauler

Elevator gap seals

Post by Mauler »

I've heard that elevator gap seals are quite effective. Can anyone comment on these?
M5-210TC

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

They are very effective, giving much more elevator authority, especially on the heavier engined Maules. Maule has the kit for sale, Mylar tape goes on top of the stabilizer, down through the slot and on the bottom of the elevator.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

AK Mauler

Post by AK Mauler »

Does the adhesive on the gap seal material stay put at low temperatures? I need to install the gap seal on my MX7-180, but am worried it will blow off during the winter season. We can see temperatures down to 0F in Anchorage.
Jon Conger
MX7-180AC
N4261E

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

As long as you properly pre-clean the painted surface before applying, it will stay stuck.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Getting the gap seals is on my long to-do list. One concern I have is the way the tape is routed from top of the stab to bottom of the elevator.

Doesn't this invite rain to puddle against the leading edge of the elevator? Is there any reason it can't be wrapped from the bottom of the stab to the top of the elevator? Seems like rain would shed off better that way, along with any associated ice.

Mine sits outside for a week at a time just about every month.

Kirk

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The other way round, and the stab. strut is in the way. Placed in an S they don't wrinkle. Many many Maules never see the inside of a hanger. Rain and then frozen to ice isn't a problem either, just remove ice before flight when checking all surfaces before flight. You could punch drain holes if you want but I never have.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

i finally got around to installing my elevator gap seals a couple weeks ago on my M5-235. the kit (roll of tape) was under $50 from the factory, and it took me about 2 hours to install it alone.
i was happy with the results, which i immediately noticed on my first take-off. the tail seemed to jump off the ground a lot sooner and with less control pressures- kind of a "power steering" effect on the elevator. and on the subsequent landings i noticed a slow full-stall landing didn't end with the tail wheel whacking the ground before the mains. the tail remained controllable until the wings stopped flying.
a pretty good bang-for-the-buck in the aviation world. :D
M5-235