M4 EZ Flap - requires M5 button?

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

M4 EZ Flap - requires M5 button?

Post by TxAgfisher »

Has anyone done this mod? Was it a field approval or listed and approved as a minor alteration by an IA?

1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Post by 1:1 Scale »

I asked EZ Flap about this a few months ago, this was the response I got from Bill:
Hi Kelly,

The unit works perfectly on the M-4 but it needs a small simple adapter (or upgrading it to the later M-5-6-7-8 flat thumb button), because the thumb button on most M-4's is a tiny little nipple that cannot mount the steel tab. This was the only reason I did not include the M-4 in the Maule certification.

Since that time, I have helped several people get field approvals for M-4's and early M-5's with the old style button. The thing that changed is that when you order a replacement button from Maule today, they send you the later (current) flat top button, even for an M-4 that originally came with the nipple button. So the flat top button is a 100% factory authorized equivalent, which means you now have a choice between using a small adapter or simply installing new Maule replacement button.

I have the drawing for the adapter, any home garage machinist can make it in a half hour. I think Maule only charges $20 for the replacement button anyway.

Either way, I will 100% support your installation in three separate ways:

1) I will issue a "factory" letter to the FAA explaining why the M-4 was not included in the certification and why they should approve this installation using either an adapter or the replacement button.

2) I will be glad to speak with your local FAA FSDO office and work with them directly to answwer their questions and assist them in making the decision that it is safe to approve this field approval.

3) I will work woth your A&P / IA mechanic to make sure that he understands why this is a safe and proper installation.

After all that, the reality is that this actually falls within the IA authority as a "minor alteration", but many of them are afraid to do it this way.

The bottom line is that if you do choose to buy the EZ Flap for the M-4, and if after all of the above efforts the FAA for some reason refuses to allow a field approval... send it back and I'll refund the money as always.

Feel free to call me and discuss this further if you are interested.

Bill

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

Did you end up doing it? What's the button run from Maule?

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

Gw
Last edited by MauleWacko on Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Post by 1:1 Scale »

TxAgfisher wrote:Did you end up doing it? What's the button run from Maule?
I haven't bought it yet. I had one in my Stinson and liked it, as did just about everyone that sat in it. One of the big differences between the two airplanes is the Maule requires a MUCH stronger arm to deploy the flaps. Maybe I just need to slow it down more.

I also seem to have some slop in the flap system. The handle will lay on the floor, and doesn't move the flaps until it's about 2" of the floor. I plan on getting that sorted before I decide on the ez flap handle.

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

You can get the angled flap handle from Maule for less than $100, that would get it off the floor.

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

pilot wrote:You can get the angled flap handle from Maule for less than $100, that would get it off the floor.
Maybe that's what I need.

Beamerpilot
100+ Posts

Post by Beamerpilot »

1:1 Scale wrote:
TxAgfisher wrote:Did you end up doing it? What's the button run from Maule?
One of the big differences between the two airplanes is the Maule requires a MUCH stronger arm to deploy the flaps. Maybe I just need to slow it down more.
Yes, as I used to explain to my students...the published flap speed is the MAX deployment speed, mid white arc is better no matter the type of aircraft.