Dynon D10A STC

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Njacko
100+ Posts

Dynon D10A STC

Post by Njacko »

Some news for people considering an electronic artificial horizon:

http://www.dynonavionics.com/D10A-STC/index.html
MX-7-180 N280SA

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

We all need to sign up for updates by clicking "request updates". If everyone asks for updates for Maule STC availability maybe we can get some action!
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

Beamerpilot
100+ Posts

Post by Beamerpilot »

I would wait until the price is published...lol

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

I think it goes for about 2k, but if I read it correctly it replaces pretty much everything - including the vac system. I would love to see more tech like this available for Maules!
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

I fly a Maule....what's a artificial horizon? Is that like virtual reality?
Let Freedom Prevail

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

51598Rob wrote:I fly a Maule....what's a artificial horizon? Is that like virtual reality?
This made me smile, due to a difference in perspective. For me, buying my Maule meant moving UP to a LARGE, FAST plane that was more appropriate for IFR stuff than my previous one (Bellanca Scout). ;)

krautman67

Post by krautman67 »

At the Dynon booth yesterday, Sun n' Fun, many were inquiring on the price of this unit for certified aircraft. The figure that was being distributed by the Dynon reps was $1,800 - $2.000. They are going to clean house here. A similar L3 product for certified (with h synthetic vision) was over $6,000.
Also attracting much attention was the GRT Mini X, not certified, a little to wide to pop in at 4 1/4 inches wide, but had a ton of features such as SVT and ADS-B traffic IN for $1,300.
1976 M5-235C

ajak
100+ Posts

Post by ajak »

I also got excited when I saw the news release and imagined replacing my entire vacuum system, too- but sadly it would appear that the STC currently only allows it to replace the attitude indicator. From the Dynon web site (http://www.dynonavionics.com/D10A-STC/index.html):

"All of the other functions that the EFIS-D10A can provide are supplemental in nature. Strictly speaking, the EFIS-D10A is a replacement for your attitude indicator. All other capabilities, such as airspeed and altitude, can be suppressed. All of your other primary flight instruments are required to remain in your aircraft."

Hopefully as it evolves some of the other functions will get certified as primary replacements, as well...
AJ
1983 M-6-235
IO-540W1A5D, 81" Hartzell, 4" ext gear, 31" tires, Atlee exhaust, long wings, VGs, LED ldg/nav/strobes, EDM-900, CiES

Njacko
100+ Posts

Post by Njacko »

From the BeechTalk forum:

--------
Ian Jordan here from Dynon Avionics, one of the engineers on the STC project.

To clear up some things:

1) The STC does not change the operating limitations of the aircraft. If it could fly IFR before, it can fly IFR after.

2) Right now, the STC is specific to replacing a vacuum powered attitude indicator in an aircraft. The main purpose was to replace the primary attitude indicator in a plane. I believe it can be used for a secondary that was in the TC as well.

The secondary functions of the D10A such as Angle of Attack, airspeed, altitude, heading, winds aloft, OAT, are all allowed to be used, but are secondary to the primary instruments in the plane, which must remain.

3) Dynon and the EAA would really like to thank the FAA for their help, and we're excited to keep applying this to other avionics. This is just the beginning, and given our experience we should be able to do more soon.

4) We do hope to expand the AML list soon, and we'd love to do your airplane. Please add yourself to our interest list so we know what planes to work on next:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1GptoMZ ... w/viewform

Happy to answer more questions!

--Ian Jordan
Chief Systems Architect
Dynon Avionics
-----------

Anyway, kudos to the EAA (wich owns the STC?), to Dynon, and last but not least, to the FAA. I can't imagine this happening in EASAland in a million years...

ATB, Peter
MX-7-180 N280SA

krautman67

Post by krautman67 »

Thank you for the post Peter. As much as many of us would love to dispense with our entire vacuum system, we will just keep it a few more years! Most Maules that are not fully IFR equipped will have a spare hole to the left of the radio stack. Our M5 has the tach over here, MP on the right side. Odd, but that's the way it was done in 1976. I plan to put a mini AI with some goodies such as a moving map and traffic to the right of the existing AI. I will only give 8% of my attention / scan to the flight instruments that I must leave installed:). If I choose the GRT Mini X, I would have to get a smaller altimeter to make room, since I can't remove anything. If I go with the Dynon, I could just slip it in where my toppled AI once resided. On the right side of the radio stack I could flush mount an iPad mini, to be used as a map with weather. This would be a very affordable ADS-B solution: Garmin GTX 345 - $5,800, Dynon D10A or GRT Mini - $2,000, iPad mini with flush mount - $800.....done. Either way, lots of choices, I will tackle this when I re-do the interior in a few years. By the summer of 2017, just over two years prior to the ADS-B mandate in the US, the choices of product and prices will be far greater than today. The reliability and affordability, along with the stunning features of these small devices is amazing, thanks to the home built and LSA operators, manufacturers and EAA/FAA.
Carl
1976 M5-235C

Beamerpilot
100+ Posts

Post by Beamerpilot »

Thanks Njacko. Got the M4 210C on the list.

CPS M5

Post by CPS M5 »

We need the flood Dynon with Maule update requests.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

krautman67 it was good to talk to you at sun n fun. If your looking for a neat AI try RC Allen's new unit it's electronic and saves about 3 lbs. over a standard vacuum unit.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Interesting developement, I was really eyeballing the Sandia Quattro
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/i ... -12817.php

$3600 basically all the function the Dynon unit has. Avionics costs are dropping for a change....

Kirk

krautman67

Post by krautman67 »

Captian Kirk, Great to run into you also, I would have recognized you instantly, but that flat black spinner threw me off:) Now I know what to do with mine! I will keep you guys posted along with photos when I do my panel. I plan to pimp my ride starting next fall, but nothing like yellowmaule did!
Carl
1976 M5-235C