High Gross modifications ?

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
carl

High Gross modifications ?

Post by carl »

Maybe someone can shed some light at this. I have seen ads where M7-420:s are sold with 3250/3300 lbs GW kits, seems like they only made two of these ? I have also reviewed Maules modification list on the webpage looking for something similar for a "ordinary" M7.

I have a M4-210C on floats now, the future goal would be a M7 on amphibs but I dont like the idea of a useful load of around 700 lbs only.

What possibilities are there to have a stock M7 modified for lets say 3300 lbs GW ?

I know the M9:s GW is in that area but that one is to expensive for me.

Thanks and regards,

Carl.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Call either the factory or David Wright. I'll bet the problem is the wings and therefore you aren't going to get a gross weight increase in a M-7 without different wings. I know the M-9 wing is different in that regard and I think the turbines were also. Maule engineering Dept. would know.
on edit, at least the gear as well are different on a M-9 as well, but I think the hard part of an upgross kit for the M-7 would be the wings. Now that's my opinion, not fact necessarily

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The few turbines had the "Bob Sample" STC. Different wings, reinforced fuselage, and only on amphibs. We also did a one time STC mod to our 'Avalon" turbine conversion 450 shaft hp. to 3265lbs. The Sample STC was very expensive.
BD did an upgross from 2300 to 2500lbs or on floats 2530 to 2750lbs in about 1 year + in 1980/81 for the M5.
The 'new Maule' have been working on an upgross of the M7(the mythical M9) from 2500lbs to 2800lbs for 6 (six) years so far. Husky and Topcub did their 200lb upgross in 2 years each.
I have M9's on order at the factory now but have returned many deposits to customers who were tired of waiting and moved on to other marques.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

carl

Post by carl »

Thanks for the reply.

Well if its the wings that are the main issue I guess it still would be cheaper to have Maule build a set of high gross wings and get an old M7 to put them on rather than buying a M9.

The main reason for me to research this issue is to see the possibilities to obtain as much useful load as possible on amphibs.

With kind regards,

Carl.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Fuselage is also beefed up from the older M7, and the oleo gear is not strong enough if on wheels. If there ever is an M9 it is only on widegear which is stronger than the M7 widegear.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

carl

Post by carl »

Thanks Jeremy.

Sorry for that previous reply, when I pressed submit You had already replied also.

I see Your point. There is no gross mod available except for certain M7-420:s and in those cases under a STC.

Well, looks like I will have to continue dreaming of a M9 on Wip 3000A:s.

If I win the lottery I will give you a ring Jeremy.

Regards,

Carl.