We bought ANOTHER Maule! Mx-7 Franklin Conversion

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
n2020u

We bought ANOTHER Maule! Mx-7 Franklin Conversion

Post by n2020u »

Hey everybody! Well as if we weren't having a TON of fun in our M-4 over the past 700hours...we decided to buy another Maule. This time it's an Mx-7-180b. It arrived yesterday in two shipping containers. It belonged to a friend of ours who bough a Just Aircraft Supestol as the Maule didn't quite meet his mission.

It sat for a little over two years after being run on the ground for five mins so the engine is toast. We are currently installing a 0-time Franklin 220 on the front of it as we want more power (plus an 82" C-201 Mac) I've seen a few photos on the forum of an Mx-7 in Moultrie with this engine. Did they ever end up certifying that engine on the -7? We have been talking with the local FSDO and are prepared to attempt a field approval when we are ready to do so.

Also, this airplane has a funky aileron trim...can't quite decide if it's legal or not.
Garrett

n2020u

Post by n2020u »

Here's the trim tab

Garrett

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

We were playing with the PZL Franklin years ago. I'll check tomorrow to try to find where it was in certification when we dropped it.
As the aileron trim, that is definitely not standard or anything on our TC. We do have a simple riveted on aileron trim tab approved, bend to suit your needs thing.

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Nice plane Garret! That is a wonky looking tab, did that thing have an auto pilot?

And kudos to you for having the guts to 337 an engine swap!!
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

I second the nice looking plane Garrett. What don't you have in that hangar?

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

What does that control rod on the trim tab connect to?

n2020u

Post by n2020u »

Andy Young wrote:What does that control rod on the trim tab connect to?
From what I could tell it connects to a bell crank/ cable system which in turn is controlled by the autopilot. There is not trim wheel for the tab in the cockpit. It IS pretty funky... and it looks funky too. I recall seeing a very similar tab on a tri gear Maule some years back.
Garrett

n2020u

Post by n2020u »

Duane wrote:We were playing with the PZL Franklin years ago. I'll check tomorrow to try to find where it was in certification when we dropped it.
As the aileron trim, that is definitely not standard or anything on our TC. We do have a simple riveted on aileron trim tab approved, bend to suit your needs thing.
Thanks, Duane.
Garrett

n2020u

Post by n2020u »

pilot wrote:Nice plane Garret! That is a wonky looking tab, did that thing have an auto pilot?

And kudos to you for having the guts to 337 an engine swap!!
Wish me luck! I'm going to need it! The airplane does have an autopilot; Century. Going to be removing as much weight as possible. We have our M4-220 and while it's an absolute cream puff; she's heavy @1450 lbs empty. We figured that would be our "go place" Maule and the MX-7-220 would be the "tight strips" Maule. :D
Garrett

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Does the Century have a wing leveler, if so, aileron tab may be part of the AP system? I've got a Franklin 220 complete with all accessories that timing was advanced too far on by a local mechanic, detonated, and blew a jug right off crankcase. It was a low time engine, needs new cases which I found available in California.. Reasonably sure rest of engine rebuildable. I'd be willing to sell with all accessories reasonably if interested? Don't know what mechanic thinking, he dialed in 32 Degrees of advanced timing instead of the book 28 D... Thought it would make more HP, unfortunately, you can't get gas high enough octane anywhere to handle that advance!!

If interested let me know, engine is in AK, I'm currently in AZ for winter, but we may be able to figure a way to get down south?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

I figured that tab was some kind of autopilot, good riddance.
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

I'm kinda wondering what that trim tab does to the mass balance of the aileron?

n2020u

Post by n2020u »

aero101 wrote:Does the Century have a wing leveler, if so, aileron tab may be part of the AP system? I've got a Franklin 220 complete with all accessories that timing was advanced too far on by a local mechanic, detonated, and blew a jug right off crankcase. It was a low time engine, needs new cases which I found available in California.. Reasonably sure rest of engine rebuildable. I'd be willing to sell with all accessories reasonably if interested? Don't know what mechanic thinking, he dialed in 32 Degrees of advanced timing instead of the book 28 D... Thought it would make more HP, unfortunately, you can't get gas high enough octane anywhere to handle that advance!!

If interested let me know, engine is in AK, I'm currently in AZ for winter, but we may be able to figure a way to get down south?
Thanks for the offer! Sorry for the late reply as well! We had two spare overhauled American 6A-350's in our hanger as spares for the M4. However, it would be nice to have extra spare parts when you need them. Is your Franklin core an American or Polish engine? Looking at taking the Maule (both of them if we can get the Mx-7 done by August) on a trip to AK so maybe I'll have to swing by!
Garrett

n2020u

Post by n2020u »

Duane wrote:I'm kinda wondering what that trim tab does to the mass balance of the aileron?
Well, it's gone now :D

We have the engine on the mount; just waiting for the exhaust, and prop! We are working with the Oakland FSDO; so far adequately cooperative!
Garrett