Double-Puck Brake Source Options

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Andy Young
100+ Posts

Double-Puck Brake Source Options

Post by Andy Young »

I have single-puck brakes on my M-6. I'd like to upgrade to double-pucks.

Airframes Alaska sells the 199-62 kit for $1683. This is a complete wheel and brake kit that includes the wheels, discs, calipers, and mounting plates. Spruce has the same kit for similar money.

I have to do a little checking, but it seems to me that it's possible that I only need the calipers and maybe the discs. Airframes Alaska will sell individual components, but doing it this way, just the calipers and discs add up to about $1260.

What did those of you who've done the conversion do? The whole kit? Is there a better way, or better source for the parts?

I know I could, in theory, sell my old parts, but it seems unlikely that there would be much of a market for wheels with single-puck brakes, unless it's in the home-building market. Even then, I'd have to find a buyer who is really trying to save a few bucks. I went through this when I converted my Scout, and it took a long time to sell that wheel and brake set (though those are unique).

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

I bought the disc rotors from spruce, not too much money. Then bought the calipers used through ebay and they work great. Got everything I needed for about $500. I was able to use my same wheels.
You could 'a la carte' piece it together cheaper than the kits.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I will have to show my ignorance. I thought you could just swap out calipers for the couple puck upgrade do you need disks also. Long term I want to upgrade so I can put bush wheels on but I was going to do it in stages. I want to make the trip to Alaska one day but don't need bush wheels here in the southeast. I've ordered the extended gear and that is my first step. With 8.50's and the gear I think I will be in good shape around here until then.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Different thickness. Hundred bucks or less each solves the problem. Bolts right on to your existing wheels. Have a couple of all but new 8:50 tires if you're interested. Actually have a couple disc too. Promise to not call you the things I may have called Pilot when I bought them.
Last edited by gbarrier on Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

gbarrier wrote:Different thickness. Hundred bucks or less each solves the problem. Bolts right on to your existing wheels. Have a couple of all but new 8:50 tires if you're interested. Actually have a couple disc too.
I'm interested in the discs. Maybe the tires, but shipping on those could make it untenable, given that I'm in Colorado.

What's your price on the discs. How about the tires?

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

So does someone happen to have the part number for the calipers (and the discs, while we're at it) handy? I can look this all up myself tomorrow, so don't go to any special effort; just thought someone might have it in their head.

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

I went with the deeper dish discs to prevent caliper rub on the inside of the tire when I installed the Goodyear 26's.
I don't remember the part numbers for the discs off the top of my head but I can find them for you.
The calipers were 30-52N if I recall.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Rezrider wrote:I went with the deeper dish discs to prevent caliper rub on the inside of the tire when I installed the Goodyear 26's.
I don't remember the part numbers for the discs off the top of my head but I can find them for you.
The calipers were 30-52N if I recall.
Interesting. Anybody know if this deeper disc is needed with Bushwheels?

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Think stock rotors might be 164-03601.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I've had ABW's on both single puck and double puck standard Maule stuff, that's all that's needed, but single puck brakes very marginal. If contacting tires, they also sell spacers for under the discs which gets you plenty of clearance...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Another question do you need a different torque plate? Looking at the cleaved site it doesn't list the plates for applications. Thanks trying to get a list of parts I'm going to need over time.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

If you go single to dual pucks, yes, you need torque plates for the bigger calipers...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

oh and make sure your brakes are mounted in front not in back of the rotor...I E so the brake calipers are closer to the front of the wheel rather than the back....
Iceman