8.50-6 tires and dual puck brakes

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
andy
Site Admin

8.50-6 tires and dual puck brakes

Post by andy »

I'm planning to replace my 8.00-6 tires and single puck brakes on my 1986 MX-7-180 with Goodyear Flight Special 8.50-6 tires, new rotors and dual puck brakes based on the great information I've been reading in this forum. I'm also going to replace the rigid brake lines with flexible stainless steel lines. I tried to get Cleveland brake part numbers from Parker Hannifin Corp. but they said they couldn't help me - probably due to liability concerns. Does anyone have part numbers for the dual puck brake calipers. Also, is a larger rotor required? If so, what part number?

Andy

donknee
100+ Posts

Post by donknee »

Andy, did you read this one?

http://maulepilots.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=336

I don't know if this is the right one for you, but Wup will know.
1976 M5-235-C

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Thanks, Don. I reread that thread and found the Cleveland Conversion Kit # 199-62 that Wup provided. Aircraft Spruce has it listed as a Cessna Conversion Kit at $1123.

Andy

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

In the Maule Flight Manual (Pilot Operating Handbook) there is a list of Required and Optional equipment with weight and arm.
You can look up many of the options there, including weight changes.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Maule Drawing 4035F will give you all the info you need.... also there are parts you don't get with the kit you need.

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

Hottshot wrote:also there are parts you don't get with the kit you need.
That is why you call Wup and tell him to just make it happen. :lol: (or no more guns for him hehe)

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

OK I too have a slight problem. I had 700 x6's on my maule M4 and went and bought 800 x 6's and lo and behold the brake caliper is rubbing on the fatter tire. What do I have to buy now to alleviate this problem. Geez, if it isn't one thing it's another. Somebody give me a part number for what I need. Hope I don't need a whole new setup just to go to 800's and later to 8.50's. :oops: :cry: :evil: I don't have double pucks and most of my flying is on pavement and desert dirt and two weeks at Idaho strips. 800's ar just fine for now and 8.50's will work for most of Idaho and Utah later. I'm not planning on sand bar or boulder landings. Most of the places I Fly fish at or camp at are perfect for 800's or 850's... Help Wup or Jeremy or even John, although I know your expertise is limited..... :wink:
Iceman

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Maule has shims that move the disk and therefore the caliper away from the wheel. The real danger if you don't get enough clearence is that a side load on a low tire could displace the tire enough so that it could lock against the caliper. Otherwise I would tell you that washers work. Best to use the right part though. They shouldn't be much money. Maybe longer bolts are required? I'm not sure as mine came with 8.50" tires.
Call Maule parts, they should fix you up easily.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

Thanks A64, I'll call Brian at Maule on Monday. We're on a first name basis now. Although getting something from them takes a bunch of time. I'm still waiting for my Left aileron which was ordered over a month ago. I was down to Brown field today checking on progress on my repairs and they had put my new 800's on. I couldn't even slide a credit card between the caliper and tire. I'll check on the shims on Monday. I think as they are, just a pilot and passenger will be enough to freeze the wheel the way it is. :?
Iceman

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

I soloed at Brown Field and kept my plane at Gilespie.

Small world

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

210TC wrote:I soloed at Brown Field and kept my plane at Gilespie.

Small world
I have a hangar at Gillespie and will be returning the plane there when First Flight finishes fixing my screw up. It's been a long haul but it's coming along.
Iceman

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

by the way, gas at First Flight is $4.11 a gallon. I understand it is under 4 dollars at Big Bear. :D
Iceman

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

My first instructor was Sarah Rambo back in the 70's. I think she later worked for the faa?
Big bear has good food or at least the last time I was UP they did 2004. BNG has good prices also. If you don't mind high winds most of the time, I had a hanger there for about 10 years.
You would think the fuel prices would be less here in Texas NOT TRUE, We pay 4.20 at BAZ New Braunfels and it can be found at a place called Kestral fot 3.50.
Bushes budies don't give the good ole boy's a break. :lol:
Hope ya get all the bugs out of your bird. I've got a fumigator on mine.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

Well, no bugs really. I ground looped at Columbia last July. Afterward the locals said I was about the 4th or 5th to do it at that spot where there is a pretty severe rotor that comes off a hill just to the west of 17 which is the one I was landing on. I was rolling out at about 30 MPH when off she went to the right. No amount of left stomping would get it back and when the left wheel went off the runway, which was about 1 foot higher than the dirt the left wing dug in and the rest is history. No prop strike though since we were so slow. Sorry to get off topic here but conversation just goes as it does. We here in SO cal are always mystified at the fact that gas has to be trucked up a mountain to Big Bear and it is always cheaper there than anywhere in the So cal area. Here at Gillespie they gouge us at $4.20 a gal and more. I don't buy gas at Gillespie. First flight has vowed to be the lowest in the area so I fly down there and load up or go to Big Bear for breakfast on Sundays. Corona also has low gas prices and the best breakfast In So Cal. :) By the way are any of you on this site making it to Johnson Creek for the Backcountry Pilots fly in. Looking forward to meeting a bunch of great pilots that week.. June 27th-30th Butch
Iceman

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

You need three halfmoon shaped spacers per wheel, they are 1/8th inch thick. Best not to use washers as they do not spread the load far enough.
Stoddards in Anchorage have full circle shims which I think might be better if you need to double up for 1/4inch. You will need the proper length bolts.
I believe ABW can supply all this and probably quicker than the factory.
NEXT is to place your calipers at the front, not the back.
In a side load as in a potential g'loop, if the rotating tyre is squeezed out to the side under the caliper it can grip the caliper and stop rotation. The tyre will only be squashed at the bottom of course.
If the tyre is rotating down past a FRONT mounted caliper, it does not squash until past the caliper and thus does not lock up the wheel.
Many excursions off the runway would/could be avoided if only the calipers were mounted in the more obvious position.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide