8.50-6 tires and dual puck brakes

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

Thanks Jeremy, My calipers are in the back and I noticed after the GL that there was a gouge in the tire on the inside probably caused by the caliper during the side load. What is involved in putting the calipers on the front. Is it merely mounting them there or what. Without looking at it I can only go on memory as to how they are installed. I will get in touch with WUP and order the shims. THe factory is so slow now I hate to go through them. Butch
Iceman

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

You have to rotate the torque plate from back to front and reroute the brakeline which is long enough.
Wide gear needs a little bit of the bottom front corner relieved for clearance as the axle is not mounted dead centre.
You will have to swap positions of the brakeline fitting and the bleed fitting which must end up on the bottom.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

RT
100+ Posts

easy fix

Post by RT »

I have found that if you switch from Goodyear tires to Mcreary or air specialty tires your brake clearance problems go away. Those tires dont pooch out on the sidewall as much as the goodyear. 850-6
RT

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The McCreary tyres are also less $$$$ however, they have twice the rockchip throwing grooves and half the wear durability of the Goodyear.
Put the calipers forward though, whichever tyres you use.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

Yep, waiting for a return call from Wup and the calipers are being changed around this week. Now if we only can put a fire under Maule, to send the other Parts!!! :shock:
Iceman

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

The squeaky wheel get's the grease

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

a64pilot wrote:The squeaky wheel get's the grease
This I know but I like staying in a good working relationship with the Makers of my steed, since I most likely will be calling on them quite often.. Besides Brian and everyone else I talked to there are really a bunch of Good old boys, and in spite of being a bit slow to get something out are helpful and good to talk to. If I were in Georgia I probably would have a few beers with them. I ordered shims from Wup this morning. He said he'd ship them out today so I guess they'll be here later this week. Now I KNOW I'll be tipping a few with Wup and Jeremy at the BC fly in this June. How about you A64? Oh and just for information, Wup said if you go to 8.50's the tire doesn't bulge out as far as the 8.00's and isn't as much of a problem as the 8.00's. Of course, as usual, I always find stuff like this out after I buy something. :x :evil:
Iceman

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Ice,
I doubt I'll make it. It's not during my vacation time, and it's a long way for me.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

Yeah it is a long way but a great bunch of folks and you absolutely cannot beat the Idaho backcountry for great flying and wonderful back country strips. Jeremy, I went down to Brown field to check on progress and I looked at the tire/caliper situation on my Maule. I forgot about the ski fittings on the front of the axles. Well I made a executive decision and told them to cut the ski fittings off since I live in San Diego and have no intentions of getting skis.I'm waiting for the shims from Wup to arrive. They should be here this week. Thanks for your help. Butch
Iceman

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

Hey Wup if you're on here., I got those spacers today for the Brake discs. thanks much.... Butch
Iceman

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

iceman wrote:Hey Wup if you're on here., I got those spacers today for the Brake discs. thanks much.... Butch
Cool!

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

After all the good advice on this forum, I ordered the Cleveland 199-62 brake & wheel conversion kit and flexible stainless steel brake lines from Alaskan Bushwheels and installed them on my 1986 MX-7-180 a couple of days ago. First I'd like to say that Wup and Alaskan Bushwheels were GREAT - good price, thorough, quick, accurate and excellent customer service! I highly encourage any of you thinking about this conversion to deal with them. These are the front mounted dual-puck brakes and wheels with a 3/8" rotor. Alaskan Bushwheels includes two axle spacers and 8 bolt spacers that don't come in the kit from Parker Hannafin. There is no STC or 337 required since they are part of Maule's Required Equipment List and Type Certification. The wheels are Cleveland 40-75D and the brakes are Cleveland 30-52N. The kit says that flexible brake lines are required, although I was planning to install these anyway. One thing that wasn't clear in the documentation (except for the CAD engineering drawing) was that the torque plates for the brake calipers have to be installed with the long spacer side to the inside of the landing gear. We cut a notch in the brake line guide washer that's welded to the rear gear leg so it would fit the flexible brake line, installed a new grommet and tie-wrapped the brake line to the rear gear leg below the guide. I used lock nuts and bolts instead of rivets on the gear leg fairings to make it easier to inspect the gear legs in the future. My needs are best served by 8.50-6 tires and I installed Goodyear FS 850-6 per Jeremy's recommendation on quality and treadwear. They're a much better tire than the Air Hawks that I've been using. We replaced the tubes with Goodyear tubes as well, but had a lot of trouble getting the tube over one of the wheel halves, even with talcum powder. Eventually after inflating and uninflating the tube several times to stretch it and then partially inflating it to eliminate wrinkles, we were able to get the wheel half through it. You have to be very careful not to pinch the tube between the wheel halves. The kit documentation has a procedure for breaking in the brake pads. My A&P felt that it was a little tough on the engine to run it at 1700 RPM for 5-10 minutes while using the brakes to limit ground speed to about 10mph. He thought it would work as well to apply the brakes firmly several times while taxiing at normal speed and then use them on one or two landings. I did both to make sure, but I think he's right. If the brakes will hold the airplane still during the runup, they're sufficiently broken-in. I went from 8.00-6 to 8.50-6 tires and the net weight increase was 17 lbs. The CG moved forward about 0.17 inches. The weights and arms of the new components are in Maule's Required Equipment List in the POH, but Parker Hannafin includes them in the kit, too. I think the ones in the kit are more accurate for the new components. Anyway, I'm very happy with the results. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on the forum. Here are a few pictures (if I've figured out how to include them).

If the images don't show up, you can see them at this URL:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=rgk ... 0&y=i6qeq8

Andy

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Very nice... 8)