Bolt On Experimental

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
VA Maule
100+ Posts

Bolt On Experimental

Post by VA Maule »

Dave Hirschman's "How it 'auto'a be" article (AOPA Feb.2015), has inspired me to put pen to paper,( finger to touch screen in this case) with an idea that has been Frustrating me for several years, ever since I first encounter an E-mag and was compounded with Catto props. Both the E-mag and Catto prop, I have first hand experience with, the improvements of their new technology and innovation that is phenomenal in performance, reliability and economy on 2 separate airframes a Lanceair 235 with a Lycoming 0 320 (E-mag & Catto) and a Jabiru 170 with a Jabiru 2200cc ( Catto). I'm sure there are numerous others out there, but these I can personally attest to.There were only gains no downside trade off whatsoever!!!

Here in lies my FRUSTRATION :evil: I also fly a Certified airplane that can't currently benefit from these innovations and superior developments.

Therefore I propose we rally behind a new aircraft category "Bolt On Experimental " when without irrevocable changes to the airframe the aircraft can be returned to plain old certified by simply removing the changed out items and replacing the original outdated OEM's and a logbook entry.

Could it be this easy? One can dream,but than again this man flying thing was only a dream once upon a time.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

GOOD LUCK!!! :shock:
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

This may assuage your frustration somewhat. These changes apparently have been approved and are scheduled to be implemented by the end of the year. Rumor has it that the FAA is "Too far behind" and have already asked for an extension. I can't verify that. WHEN this is implemented, these revisions to FAR 23 should closely reflect Canada's answer to "commercial" vs. "recreational" GA use. It's a long document and it's taken me a little while to get half way through.
I'd rather get the Cliff Notes.

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies ... Report.pdf
Live it like its your last day.

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Yellowmaule you hit the nail square on the head with that link :shock:

I had no idia anything like that was in discussion with the FAA. Section 3.3.5
Primary Non-Commercial Catagory is exactly what I'm talking about!!(pages
39-43 of the report or screens 50-54 of 346 ). Outher than 20 years or older
aircraft proposed applicability this is the remedy of my frustration.

When I posed this question to the local FSDO I was told in no uncertain terms that will never be approved. It just goes show that the bureaucracy has gotten so large and ornery that someone that should know something like this is in the pipeline doesn't have a clue.

Now if this proposed rule will go into effect, all won't be well but it'll be a far site better hopefully this moves along better than the 3rd Class Med. We've all been holding our breath for.

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Anyone heard anything more about the FAR part 23 implementation :?: :?:
The best Government, is less Government.