The Peril and her new life

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

I agree. We don't need words like "superfluous" around here. What does that even mean? I think it is just some extra word that really has no purpose.
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

ok sorry about the superfluous word... I had a few things the previous owner had on my Maule that I didn't need... IE.. Oil heater ..... sorry for the horrific language.. I hope I didn't offend you or cause you any undue stress... I will immediately edit my post to suit your easily offended eyes alaska bug.....

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Oh, I missed something...
Not to worry, live and let live. As one of the Caesar's put it, "It is what it is".
More coming soon. Hoping to get this Bitch back in the air by the end of April. I know, another potentially unmet, self imposed deadline.
To date:
Kydex interior completed
Gear legs and brakes completed
Empanage completed and rigged.
Panel completed
Glass half done including skylight
All wiring behind firewall completed
Engine installed
Most painting completed.

To do:
Paint the minutia of small parts.
Cowl repair and paint
Wiring for alternator
Two more firewall penetrations.

Close, very close. However, it's getting to be the busy season at work and it's eating a lot of time. Mrs YM is officially an airplane widow on the weekends. Luckily, she's a very willing participant with anything we need to do.

Stay tuned!
Live it like its your last day.

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

By the time you get done with this project, you could qualify for EAB!
M5

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

She is going to look good! Looking forward to your final weight. How much did you save with the alternator? Did you .easurt the difference between the interrier panels and the kidex?
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

So much for deadlines.
Jeff, the original interior panels were ~28# not including the floors or head liner. The kydex weighed 8.3# per 4x8 sheet (.40") and I used roughly 1 & 7/8 of the sheets. so let's say the interior weighs 16# now.
The wings are now mounted and the AC is outside. We have a few remaining minutia to attend to, not the least of which are the tips. The molds were completed last night and prepared for the PVA tonight and layup tomorrow. Might even get them painted on the weekend. I'm trying to line up a weight and balance over the weekend, smoke check the engine, final inspection and off we make noise.
Vinyl numbers. If I had been smart, I would have done all of the striping this way like the Batmaule.
Last weekend, we had just hung the wings. I spent a long evening restoring the windshield and it turned out great (Flitz, it's the bomb!) wing root seals should be here today/tomorrow. All fuel is done, cowling is done. Used Camlocs throughout. Not cheap, takes a little effort but a far better system to Dzus fasteners.
Wings are rigged, control surfaces go on tonight and new bushings in the flap bell cranks along with new springs.
Some other items that were changed; I had the original generator. 23# of love ( :shock: ) We replaced that with the B&C 40a alternator mounted on the vacuum pad. It sits almost an inch into the firewall which had to be relieved. The B&C is ~4#.
The battery is mounted under my butt again. I was going to mount it on the firewall but frankly, I am tired of fabricating. I did use a bulkhead "power block" for the firewall though. This eliminated the need for the cable to passed through. It's an insulated, bulkhead mounted stud and the cable is landed on either stud with no bending or potential abrasion potential.
The W&B will hopefully happen this weekend. Truthfully, while I am very interested in the final weight, I am almost more interested in where the CG is going to be. Originally, we had an empty weight of 1386# on 31's and of that 81# was the tail weight. The CG was at 14.2". We will see!
Congratulations to Stick & Rudder, you beat me fair and square and did a really great job. This has been quite a trip but I'm ready to get on with fishing again.
:!:

chazdevil
100+ Posts

Post by chazdevil »

Man that's looking sweet.
I see your Lab is still the Forman on the project. Wise choice.
It's been fascinating following your thoughtful build. I bet the numbers will be sweet.
79 M5 235Turbo

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Rather than having things slowing down, they seem to be speeding up to a fever pitch.
This three day weekend being a case in point. Had the opportunity and great good fortune to have Stick_Rudder come by while on a layover to help out immensely in the rigging, safety eyeball, moral support and general good company. Most days were 6am to midnight trying to make the Monday evening weigh-in appointment.
Saturday, worked with Carbon Concepts to prep the new molds and lay up the tips. Interesting medium to work with. Miserable to sand but amazing nonetheless.

Imagehttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-jTYj ... G_1673.JPG

I opted to install the tips using fixed nut plates instead of the rivets I had taken out. Weight saving: Old tips 7.8 & 8.2# with no hardware or paint. New tips with hardware and paint 3.1# each. Pretty impressive and at the maximum moment arm.
The smoke check Saturday was better than I could have imagined. The engine has been stored for 16 months and while a strong and well tuned engine. One wonders. The best part was that none of the fuel lines/systems had a single leak and the electrical system performed as good as one could hope. Didn't get it above 1700 but it put out 13.9v.
Managed to make our deadline and get her back on her proper tires for the first time in a very long time.
I have several items to safety and finish up but for all intents and purposes, She's complete. I hope to do the test flight in the next evening or two I was going to try to get the punch list items done after weighing yesterday but frankly, I was totally spent. It was hot, I was tired and not on top of things. I made myself an adult beverage, sat in the yard with the dogs and looked at our work.
I have had many friends step up to help me. Many who gave everything from advice, experience and good old support. I have made many more friends through this site. There are some damn good people in this world and I know a lot of them. May God love her, my Wife is a patient soul. She has supported and applauded the efforts and victories and offered suggestions at the losses. And the Entitlement Dog, she has never complained.
This has been quite a ride, 16 months and over 1400hrs and now a few more hours looking for sqwauks.
Time to play.

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

Well done, a long time coming

Av8rPaul

Post by Av8rPaul »

Beautiful man, congrats and kudos to you and the rest of your crew on all the hard work.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Congratulations. Amazing workmanship and dedication. God bless you and your Maule may you have thousands of hours to enjoy it.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

Bravo! :)
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

1212#!!!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

crbnunit wrote:1212#!!!
Is that the official number? Awesome! It looks great and makes me want to put my plane on a diet, congrats!

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

A wife can be a wonderful thing YM, but real good dog is hard to find. Take care of her.