The Peril and her new life

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
krautman67

Post by krautman67 »

Now you get to work on a brand-new M4! No doubt you will wear latex gloves for all work from this point on. You may also have to enforce the footwear sterile booty policy in your assembly facility for all visitors. The entitlement dog will require a paw-wipe on each entry, he/she may initially reject the new smell, even give you the stink-eye. All jagged edges of doors, struts, gear, flaps will need some padding or tape during installation to protect that yellow!
May I suggest looking at your landing gear fwd attach bolts for warping. Mine were bent about 10 degrees, but I have had some "memorable" landings. May I also suggest cleaning out the inside of all socket drives, In the interest of keeping all shite and schmutz off your now clean bolt heads and nuts.

Am I over the top on this? Yes! We are all a part of your rebuild. Enjoy your holidays, you've got months to put it together! Thanks a ton for sharing.

Carl
1976 M5-235C

Av8rPaul

Post by Av8rPaul »

Wow, what a great write up and project. Your plane was a great looking bird before all this, I use the pic of it on skis in a bank over the mountains as my wallpaper. I'm an old Alaskan flying big stuff down here in the states (still own a house up there though!) man that makes me homesick!

I'm looking at buying an M4 or 5 with the 210 or 235 in it, although the more I look at the round tails I can't think of a plane I'd rather have in my hangar than an M4-210C.

That panel is GREAT. Hat's off to you and the "riveter" for all your hardwork and look forward to the next installment!

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

Av8rPaul wrote:Wow, what a great write up and project. Your plane was a great looking bird before all this, I use the pic of it on skis in a bank over the mountains as my wallpaper. I'm an old Alaskan flying big stuff down here in the states (still own a house up there though!) man that makes me homesick!

I'm looking at buying an M4 or 5 with the 210 or 235 in it, although the more I look at the round tails I can't think of a plane I'd rather have in my hangar than an M4-210C.

That panel is GREAT. Hat's off to you and the "riveter" for all your hardwork and look forward to the next installment!
Welcome Av8rPaul, just buy one and join the circus!
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Av8rPaul

Post by Av8rPaul »

Rezrider wrote:
Av8rPaul wrote:Wow, what a great write up and project. Your plane was a great looking bird before all this, I use the pic of it on skis in a bank over the mountains as my wallpaper. I'm an old Alaskan flying big stuff down here in the states (still own a house up there though!) man that makes me homesick!

Welcome Av8rPaul, just buy one and join the circus!
I know! I've got some time off coming up and I want to head up to WA and get some dual with Vashon Island Air in his Maule and get a good feel for the plane. Then start shopping in earnest.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Well, first, Happy New Years to all of you.
I have been quite but busy here. Where does the time go, right? We've had to make a couple trips Outside for a family member but we're trying to get back on track. The fuselage is done. Well, with painting anyway. The tailfeathers are painted and stripped, one wing is now done. Again (Redo...) I hope to stripe the wing in the morning and prime the next wing the next day. As usual, doing everything twice. Had some damage occur to the wing while in storage and repaired that. Her own gear legs are on and torqued. "Yes Virginia, we're done with one part of the puzzle."
Everything is slowly coming together.
Thanks to all for the encouragement and questions. I will answer what I can and defer to the more seasoned and experienced of which there are quite a few. :wink:
Live it like its your last day.

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

Hmmm, looks like a Yellow Maule I used to see in the Puget Sound area.Image[/img]

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Indeed!
Nice picture Tom, thank you. That was a great time. Maybe in the next year or so we will bring her down for a couple weeks.
Our very best to you and Suz!

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

lookin good Kurt... Happy New Year....
Iceman

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

The paint looks good.....
those skis hanging on the wall look PIMP!...
2016 is going to be a good year................
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Indeed it is looking really good and in the home stretch (or as we say in aviation ON SHORT FINAL )

BTW you did save the molds for that cool carbon fiber panel? 8)
The best Government, is less Government.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Short final, has a good ring to it considering the context!
yes, we have a mold for the upper and lower panels, the glare shield and soon, the tips. The floors are cut to fit.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Nice pic, Tom.

Nothing prettier than a yellow Maule on green grass. :P
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

It's looking good!!

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Sweet!!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

TomD wrote:Hmmm, looks like a Yellow Maule I used to see in the Puget Sound area.
Good photo of a tidy landing.