The Peril and her new life

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

A turning point! To date, the last five weeks have been spent taking apart, cataloging and recording things. (I keep a note book for logging and ideas and take lots of pictures.) There have been some discoveries. Evidence of past incidents, some repaired properly, some not so much but all in all, for being 46 years old and never recovered, she's in pretty good shape. Today's turning point was delivering the fuselage to be sandblasted and powder coated. There will be a couple of tabs added for mounting items, a channel added for support of the skylight and some tabs on the end of the fuselage to facilitate an inspection panel that will allow access for looking and cleaning. From this point on, we are now beginning the reassembly and replacement of the various components. I wish the work thing didn't interfere with the plane thing, this would go much quicker.
I'd found several of the push/pull cables for the fuel cutoff, vent and heaters including the mixture that were not supported and merely clamped to the panel. The working back and forth had cracked and weakend the aluminum. These will now have a steel tab to support them.
I'd found a little corrosion in a couple of tubes by the doors that are suspect. These too will be addressed.
The exhaust has had some contact with the engine mount that will be repaired and the exhaust will be redone to ensure clearances. This has always been a vexing issue. As it is with all the IO-360's I've seen. I learned a neat trick that I will try to construct new tail pipes. Using class 200 PVC, mock up the "Pipe" cutting and adjusting as necessary. Once mocked up, use a Sharpie pen to make alignment marks, remove and glue up the pipe with the marks keeping it aligned. Take the PVC pipes down to Atlee Dodge and give it to them to build the right pipe the first time. We used a heat gun and various fittings. It worked great, cost $10 in parts and took less than two hours. My friend has the Franklin in a Stinson and has fought it for years. I'm looking forward to making this happen. 14 years and 2000 hours, I have a list of things like this that I can address properly now.
Live it like its your last day.

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

I was at shucks the other day and I swear they had the EXACT same cables that maule uses for their heater vents. They cost 5 bucks. Same knob, everything.

Also, if your goona spend the money on tailpipes, I wouldn't take them to atlee dodge. I would send them to custom aircraft parts and have them install a ball joint at the exhaust outlet And make your new pipes. I garuntee their cheaper than atlee. The ball joint will ensure they never crack there. And way easier to pull. This Is the weak point in the maule exhaust.

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

YM, if you are going to replace the exhaust, have you considered piping both sides separately to eliminate the crossover pipe? I've replaced my pipes, and regret not separating them since seeing a maule on our field that has them that way... and with heat muffs on both sides. I'm also thinking the engine would also "breath" better with more freedom to exhale.
Let Freedom Prevail

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

AK: Thanks for the heads up but the cables are all in good shape so not replacing, simply making sure that they are landed properly. That and the mufflers are in good shape, it's just the tailpipes that are interfering with the mount.
Rob, thanks but I have the dual mufflers and tail pipes. The Maule systems blows but with the current Federal Oversight and cooperation, we'll make do with what we've got I suppose. I do have separate tail pipes and frankly, a cross over pipe would be an improvement in balancing the pulses if it were tuned.

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

Can someone post a pic of a maule tailpipe that's interconnected left to right? I was unaware that they existed? Both my io360's and 540 have straight tailpipes out of the mufflers.

YM - will your old tailpipes be up for sale? I sure could use a set to replace the aluminized heavy automotive pipes mine came with. I swear they weigh 10 lb or more.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Kurt, maybe too late if fuselage is at powder coat, but for almost no weight gain, it would be good to weld the threaded thimbles to receive future 3 point belts plus the rear seat centre belt attach.
If you are already wedding skylight frame etc it will only take a few ore minutes.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

TimB
100+ Posts

Post by TimB »

Kurt as Jeremy said also replace the AN seat belt attach bolts that are welded in to the weld in Thimble bosses so you don't have bolts sticking out for the seat belt and cargo strap attachments and weld in the mounting tubes and the two bosses above the baggage door to receive a sling seat assembly instead of the rear bench seat that the M4 has. I have added extra bosses higher up in aft cabin for cargo restraint points to hold straps or a cargo net over the aft large cargo. Well Kurt keep trudging along Woody and I can always dream up more things for you to do. :lol:
TimB

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Adding tabs and attach points while mine was down are on my list of regrets. Seatbelt tabs would have been much better (and lighter) than the Maule bolt on brackets, extra cargo tie down points and some tabs to support extended baggage. I should have probably pulled by bolt on float fittings as well.

Did you see the M-6 in Ray's shop? I really like the way the rear fuselage was done. The aft tubing around the tail wheel/spring/bolts was left exposed and the fabric was angled up a bit there. All that was needed was a quick glance to see the tubes are strainght and intact and tail wheel secure. Unlike mine that seems to pool water back there.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

My m5 was corroded through in the tail pretty bad too from pooling water. I put a ton of seaplane grommets down there. Got any pics of this fabric job?

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I do have photos somewhere. Can't find them though! I'll see if I can get another. It is definitely something I'd consider if recovering again!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

krautman67

Post by krautman67 »

YM, You are de MAN! Thank you very much for sharing your work! I am just a few years behind you.... I just built a shed for this purpose, strikingly familiar to yours. the shed is insulated, heated, and 8" longer than the M5 from the tip of the rudder to the front of the spinner. My job should be slightly easier than yours. I stripped and painted it in 1997, even painted parts of the fabric, which is still OK, but shows some fissures in the paint. I had a local body shop do the painting itself. They used a Sikkens base/clear automotive paint system. It is a fantastic finish, holding up very well at 15+ years. I am sure you researched this already, the paint technology is always changing. I did not do the 2500 lb. up-gross while the wings were off...dummy. I get cheap tickets, I'd like to come and help you with the re-covering for a few days if you are willing. I am familiar with the operation of a snow shovel to get to the garage!
Carl
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/w1gywd8lq2q6 ... CaAEN_ld2a
1976 M5-235C

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Thank you for the encouragement and offer Karl, I appreciate it. Nice workshop! If this project gets delayed any more, Mrs YM will suggest that I consider moving into it!
I have had a bit of a delay with the mechanic doing the welding and sandblasting. What was promised as three weeks has become six. I'm going to go have lunch with him today....
On the up side, all the assemblies have been cleaned, repaired, updated and are ready for reassembly. The floors are done and have turned out nice. Still have the final fitting to do to them (No fuselage...) The time it takes for the minutia is amazing. Every night there's 2-3 hours on little things. Like cleaning the pulleys for the control cables. Just the amount of dirt that I have taken out of this plane is amazing.
A long slow process but little steps every day.
The firewall had many perforations and a few wrinkles.

It seems that there are several of us hat are currently rebuilding. It's been good talking to you guys and hopefully, we'll all get done sooner rather than later. Once I can get the fuselage home, the momentum will kick up.
Old and new flooring

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Kurt, do you have a per square foot or metre or, weight difference in plywood to your new floor.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

HEY! Make two sets of everything! What fits your's should bolt right in to mine! LOL!

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

You are now in the fun part, everyday you are closer to flying, and watching your "baby" grow, exciting times