The Peril and her new life

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

My IA is sold on this stuff.

http://www2.dupont.com/Coating_Solution ... 921S_E.pdf

You can spray it or brush it.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Thanks Jim and Kurt I have a local IA that's retired and has done some stuff for me in the past, hopefully he'll be available when the time comes.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

driver1

stabilizers off

Post by driver1 »

Hi
I know the trouble your having I just pulled mine off by inserting a large scewdriver prying gently on the metal longeron above the Stabilizer and shakeing the strut tube. Mine was stuck on the front. I had tried before and was unable to get it off but a little prying worked wonders.
Driver1

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Off to the sandblasting we go!
Live it like its your last day.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Looking good. Congratulations on your progress so far. It is nice to see that entitlement dog remains helpful and his supervisory capacity. Looks like some fresh snow.
Last edited by Mountain Doctor on Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

It's coming on very nicely congrats

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

great Kurt... looking at your pix I see you got your Piles of shit all organized.... got your old wiring pile... old hose pile... can't see the old fabric pile but I'm sure it's all organized according to plan....even a supervisor with hands in pockets standing by.....carry on.... :lol:
Iceman

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

I was unable to put a bit of a report together as Mrs. YM informed me that we had some social obligations to attend to. 'Tis the season!
In any case, everything is removed and a few things have been revealed. The Peril has been balled up twice according to the logs and I suspect there's a third in there too. Some of the formers around the cockpit show some marginal effort in straightening. But we all have our scars and secrets right?
I confirmed with the Stewarts folks and confirmed that there are no compatibility issues if I powder coat so that's decided. Now the color. Suggestions? Something light.
It has been many late nights despite a two week hiatus getting it all taken apart, photo'd cataloged and sorted. Once the fuselage is away, we begin cleaning and repairing components. It can be a daunting task to go out and see it as a whole but I just have to remind myself to break into a series of smaller tasks. That and keeping the goal in the forefront of my mind. This is bench mark, here we turn the corner and begin the reconstruction process.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Advanced Powder Coating did a great job on my junk. I've seen fuselages they have done (cubs) and it looks like excellent work. Since they strip to bare metal to coat, they were even good about letting me know if there were problems they found that needed repair before coating.

Color is a personal choice. They have got a gazillion of them! You could go with sparklel metallic pink! I went with a mundane gloss white. I figured it would be the easiest to look at and spot issues.

That is a very big job you have taken on. Think of the end result though. It will look *FABULOUS* and you will know exactly what you are flying.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Kurt, re powder coat colour. If you go with light color which will allow you to track cracks, twists, and rust bleed better in the future, then overpaint any part that can reflect in adjacent plexiglass.
Especially the windscreen V braces, paint flat black or satin.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Jeremy, Exactly! It'll be a light color. The interior, exposed tubes = flat black.
Jeff, yes Mark has done work for me in the past including cera-coating rifles. Awesome work, good people, never considered anyone else. A Cub guy, friend of Marks, dropped his fuselage off to be done. Mark asked him what color. The guy replied, "I don't care, whatever". Wrong thing to say, Mark did it in day glow pink. He left like that but made Mark sign it.
It was interesting reflecting upon the removal of everything just how much age effects things. The stiffness of hoses for example, chaffing in various places that you think you look for during annuals and the amount of dirt! Age is insidious.
And yes, Young Squire was caught assuming the Manager stance but to his credit, both he and my other helper were an awesome assist. Of course, he can bench press the A/C on his own, he didn't humiliate me.

Loogie
100+ Posts

Post by Loogie »

YM, that reloading bench looks well stocked! Lots of DIEs, when you get tired of working on the peril, I know what you'll be doing!

Looks like a great project, this am I was flying around thinking how much fun my Maule is!

You will enjoy the results!
Loogie

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Last time I was out there, they were powder coating one of these

To my surprise, it did not appear to have been demilled...

I didn't know they did Ceracoating. I might have to look them up again. Wish they weren't so far from me!

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

the fun part now starts, making everything exactly as you want it

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

how much is a quart of the Dupont epoxy primer? Any savings vs EP-420?

I would vote no on the skylight, sounds cool but.. 1. extra weight, cost, and more work to fit 2. Sun in your eyes unless you add a heavy pull shade. Benefit's? U can see the stars at night flying? Hotter cockpit? I dunno..

Grab your new oleo bolts from reeves. $7 bucks Just tell him the maule oleo bolts and he has them in a box labeled for maule. Mine were the new style and still bent! lol

You will have to come check out my self ejecting dzus fastners. I'll text u a pic this weekend when their done.

I saw a extended baggage setup on a maule in wasilla that had the access door from the side of the plane. I liked it cause it looked simpler than relocating your flap cable, and the access was less awkward. Sweet for sleeping bags.

You can get a can of flattener from the paint store. Cheap.. It's like this liquid white powdery stuff. Used it on the panel and it worked good. Red and white can i think. Mixed it in some Black single part Centari paint.

Check out Image plastics for new plexiglas. I prefer Lexan as its easier to scratch but wont ever crack, and he sells tinted. I did .060 but im betting it's goona rattle.. probably goona have to swap for .090 or thicker... going for light weight though. They have tinted which looks awesome and hides dirty windows.

Stoddards has windshield in stock. about 550 bucks.. Are you using your old one? If your going new tinted one or something I might be interested in your old one.

I like the sandbag on the tail. When I took the last tailfeather out of the back of my 5, the tail started coming up. I jumped up to catch it by the grab handle and by the time I grabbed it I was hanging 3 feet in the air. Tip of the tail stabbed into the foam insulation in the roof and the lower cowl was crunched on the ground. learned that lesson the hard way. lol

Looking awesome! I'll have to check it out one of these nights after work when you get it back from tube painting.