The Peril and her new life

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Steelroamer
100+ Posts

Post by Steelroamer »

BTW, the puppy looks like he/she would rather be flying!!
There is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing

TomD
100+ Posts

fabric

Post by TomD »

Yup. Looks like a full blown restoration to me.

Good news you get to fix things that have been hidden. Bad news, there are LOTS of new things that you will want to put in while you have the access. Get out the check book!

Looking forward to the finished product.

Cheers.

TD

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Once you are done, that plane will last you the rest of your flying career. Also, it will be a 'homebuilt'. Except for parts of the fuselage, it was made in your (hopefully heated) garage.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Kurt-
You'll probably need to 'punch test' tubing again after you're done sandblasting and will probably find another bad place or two... Looks like you are making progress though? When's it gonna be flying again? This Summer? Lot's of work left!!!
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Looks good! what are you going to coat the tubes with? Are you going to powder coat or spray epoxy? Extended baggage? Not sure that fits with your weight removal plan though. I kiind of wish I had done the same thing with mine. I would really have liked to preplace the boot cowl and firewall. I definitely would have liked to update the wiring under the panel. Several owners have made a pretty good mess under there!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

TomD
100+ Posts

restoration

Post by TomD »

Warning: Ignorance about to be revealed.

I thought that powder coating was pretty difficult without the correct rig to do it and if a powder coating chipped then the chance of corrosion was actually more than if the tubes were coated w/ Polyurethane or epoxy.

There appears to be some really tough Polyurethanes out there with good appearance, corrosion and wear resistance.

I was poking around the Bayer site and saw this:

http://www.bayercoatings.de/BMS/DB-RSC/ ... ngineering

May not be relevant but thought it was interesting.

TD

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

When I talked to the Stewart people at Sun n Fun I think he said they have a product for the frame but I would have to double check. A question I have for those like myself with out and a/p or a/I how do you normally handle the paperwork sign off. I'm not sure of what the regs are. Do you have someone to supervise. My goal is to fly mine till retirement then do the recover when I have the time to do it.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

Just a reminder. The factory door seal is not to repel water, it is to keep down the wind noise. However, it does repel water to a degree. You need to drill #10 drain holes at the lowest part of the doors. 8)

chetharris
100+ Posts

Time gone by

Post by chetharris »

Looking better by the minute.

Now if we can just decode all these small pieces of blue tape. Who wrote MP Big F, and what does that mean.

It has to get worse before it gets better/lighter.

Consider lowering the dash height, and abandoning the Maule panel configuration. Maybe the original is the best option, maybe not. The goal is a utilitarian VFR panel that maximizes visability.

Hope to see you and Your lovely bride this weekend.

Chet

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

CaptnKirk-

Yes, if doing recover job and you're assisting, you will need to find someone knows fabric work with A&P / IA to keep you headed in right direction and sign off job when complete. Basically, you'll need him to work thru whole job with you, inspect components, etc, etc.. It's certainly not rocket science, just very labor intensive to do good job....
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Virtually all of the fuselage is bare. No panel, no wires nothing but the yoke that I haven't figured out the bearing removal as yet. Hopefully, finish the engine this evening and sandblasting this next week.
Tom, yes powder coating is really tough stuff. Not sure if I am going to pursue that as any repairs have to have the coating removed to weld. Also need to verify with Stewart's as to compatibility.
Cap'n K. Yes on the recover in addition to any welding on the fuselage. Sign off is mandatory.
Jim, June 18th. Can't miss Silver season :)
Jeff, undecided on the baggage, leaning towards epoxy.
Roamer, Tinka, the Entitlement Dog, has more hours than a lot of humans. She has been flying since 7-weeks. She thinks I'm nuts.
MD, it better last me a while. Also, the goal here is stay certified NOT experimental.
Live it like its your last day.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Virtually all of the fuselage is bare. No panel, no wires nothing but the yoke that I haven't figured out the bearing removal as yet. Hopefully, finish the engine this evening and sandblasting this next week.
Tom, yes powder coating is really tough stuff. Not sure if I am going to pursue that as any repairs have to have the coating removed to weld. Also need to verify with Stewart's as to compatibility.
Cap'n K. Yes on the recover in addition to any welding on the fuselage. Sign off is mandatory.
Jim, June 18th. Can't miss Silver season :)
Jeff, undecided on the baggage, leaning towards epoxy.
Roamer, Tinka, the Entitlement Dog, has more hours than a lot of humans. She has been flying since 7-weeks. She thinks I'm nuts.
MD, it better last me a while. Also, the goal here is stay certified NOT experimental.
Live it like its your last day.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

BTW I love the name, 'Entitlement Dog'.

I have three of his feline cousins.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

brokenaero
100+ Posts

Post by brokenaero »

YM,
I have a brand new Maule left hand instrument panel...........I changed my panel and built it, so I don't need the one I bought.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; and that His justice cannot sleep forever.-- T. Jefferson

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

the dog looks as sad as the airplane!
1980 M5-235
Four Corners