The Peril and her new life

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Kurt I like your approach to air leaks instead of noise. I often wonder how helpful the old fiberglass insulation was in doing anything other than trapping water. Seems like it would be more effective to add some approved sound deadening to the bottom of the floors and insides of the kick/side panels?

Gary I am still slacking on the plane - but I am about to put the last nail (ok, screw) in the hangar!

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

The 15th of this month represents the one year anniversary of having taken the Peril apart. My goal initially was to be done this last summer, then Hunting season and well, it's a process, right?
We've finally come back to standing on her own legs at least temporarily. This is for the trip to the paint booth. This week upon a friend's return from a trip, we haul the plane over to his hangar and get started. So maybe by the weekend, we may have a more familiar color back on her. One thing that was noteworthy to me anyway, was when I lifted the tail to maneuver the plane around on wheels, it did feel a good bit lighter. Of course, that me be a faulty memory fooling me.
Finally back on her own legs!
Image Lighter on her feet again.
Live it like its your last day.

vaughans

Post by vaughans »

Kurt, WOW! Excellent job. Did you weld in brackets for Harnesses (recoil type) or are you going with something different? What weight are you shooting for on completion?

vaughans

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Sweet!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

it felt lighter because you are stronger after doing all that work!
Good job, it's coming together nicely :lol:
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Finally! The Peril is in the paint booth. One of my neighbors has donated his hangar for the project. We built the booth today and moved the plane in. Tomorrow, we'll put the pane back on the rotisserie and begin the final coats of filler, a white primer and then the yellow. My friend has painted several times with the Stewarts process with very satisfactory results. I am not a painter so am appreciating the guidance.
Driven by the Wahini Riveter (For Tom :) )
Here we go!

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

I love the way you build the suspense...
Can't wait the next instalment.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Very exciting.
:P
Just last night I was watching a Valdez video on YouTube watching you and the Peril have some fun. More good times to come!
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

In Alaska I suppose seeing half an airplane being pulled backwards by a pickup is not such an unusual sight. :lol:

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I like your paint booth gives me some ideas for when ever I find the courage to rebuild mine.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Mountain Doctor wrote:In Alaska I suppose seeing half an airplane being pulled backwards by a pickup is not such an unusual sight. :lol:
I saw an S-2 Tracker being towed down the highway and all the way out to the Big Lake airport years ago. Met teh guy who owned it not long after. He had damaged the nose gear landing at Anderson Lake when the brakes failed on one side. I don't remember why he moved it to Big Lake. Unfortunately it has been sitting there rotting since.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

Any chance to get it flying again?

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

What a shame. Thant's a Badazz airplane.

I lived on Columbia Airport, O22, for 8 wonderful years. It was a California Air Attack base for firefighting and they fly piston and turbine Trackers. Very cool plane. I think the piston versions have since been phased out.

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

chris erasmus wrote:Any chance to get it flying again?
Money and time.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Primer is done!
Finished the primer coat last night and sanded it out today. A little tip for anyone using Stewarts, the sanding is made much easier by using a scotchbrite pad with the sand paper wrapped around it instead of a block. allows the pad to flex and is much more effective knocking the "knap" off the dried paint down. This paint system is pretty cool. Notice my friend is merely wearing a carbon mask. It's easy to work with and the customer support is right up there with Gerber, Dillon and Filson! On a couple of occasions, I've called and asked questions. Twice now, they've called me back a couple days later and asked how it went. These are good people.
Anyway, tomorrow is color day! The final coats go on the fuselage. Stripes following https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-zSiH ... 05.jpgthat.
She most likely won't win Oshkosh but then again, she's never been a hangar queen either. The poor girl gets the Butcher's bottom at times. So be it, next pictures will be "brighter"!