The Peril and her new life

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Fantastic job thanks for all the photos along the way . You are blessed to have such an understanding wife. If I every get to the point of redoing my m5 I hope I can do as good a job. My dog has taken to chasing the birds out of the hanger, I think he is looking for another ride.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Sorry, I should have posted this as well. The beginning weight was 1386# on 31's. The interesting part is that the tail weight only changed by a pound. There were some items not installed but all equipment was on board if only in the baggage area.
By my calculations weight to HP is 5.77#/1HP. I had been aiming for 1220-1240 never suspecting that I would be able to beat it. The thing that pleases me the most is that we have managed to stay within the TCDS.
She's somewhat Spartan but has been built to suit our lifestyle and purpose. I 've had 16 years and 2300 hours thinking of what if and once we got into this project, we were given (Forced?) the opportunity to make this a completely new creature.
I have a few small items remaining and am not letting myself push to launch. will give a PIREP when done.
Cheers
Live it like its your last day.

chazdevil
100+ Posts

Post by chazdevil »

Fantastic weight!
Exemplary job.
79 M5 235Turbo

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

I have to add my "public" congrats too. Fantastic job and the Peril is going to be one BAD ride. Thanks for sharing the "journey" on the rebuild. Lots of innovative ideas and that new EW has to put you in some rare company. (Lightest Maule flying?) I'm looking forward to flying in formation with you soon.

Paul

Oh...and PIREP as soon as you can.
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

benflyn
100+ Posts

Post by benflyn »

Yellowmaule,

Update your new numbers here to see where you land,

http://maulepilots.org/forums/viewtopic ... e&start=15
As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder .
John Glenn

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Indeed. Congrats on an epic journey Kurt. Between you and BatMaule, I'm going to need sunglasses just to be around you guys!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

Damn dude !! You are flirting with Sport Light !

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Light Makes Right.

An expression I learned from motorcycle racing.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

vaughans

Post by vaughans »

Kurt,
CONGRATULATIONS!! Really didn't think you would acheive that weight!! Obviously well thought out rebuild!!

vaughans

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

PIREP!

The Peril is now air born, managed the first flight last night. Waited for the calm of the evening and following an extensive preflight by two of us (Including the look over the day before by my IA) run up and full power static check I threw the coals to her and spent the better part of an hour getting to know her again. Nothing short of amazing. She flew straight and true, hands free. both ground handling and air born, very nimble almost on the verge of being tender. Had too much pressure in the tires and made for rather bouncy landings (I know it was due to the tire pressure!) first landing was a greaser of a wheel landing and went downhill from there. made a number of circuits in the pattern before sticking half a dozen landings in various configurations.
We had three sqwauks:
The flap cable needs adjustment. At most I had maybe 30*
The opening for the oil quick drain is a little tight and allowed the cowl to come in contact with the drain allowing for a little oil to released onto the cowl.
One wing position light bulb is out.
The ASI may be off. I neglected taking the GPS with me and the speed indicated was less than perceived but that may be me. That needs to be checked.
That's it.
Flight performance was stellar. One thing that really caught my attention was how dramatic the tail behaved when rotated. It took a lot more right rudder than I had either remembered or accounted for and came close to letting it get the jump on me. The tail flies immediately, long before the throttle is into the panel. Slow flight was a non event. Speed was well below the ASI's ability (See notes on verification of ASI function), was able to make very controlled S-turns and hold altitude with 17"MP, was unable to effect a real stall. From a slow/steep deck angle, advanced the throttle and immediately climbed at 600-700fpm with no effort. On TO, I am able to sustain 2000 fpm climb as long as I want (To be taken with a grain of salt here, I had nothing but a day pack in the back and 12 gal of fuel so was very light.) The brakes suck, they need to be bedded (Pads and discs are new)
Unfortunately, Mrs. YM was not around for the first flight. She has been my rock for the many hours we have worked on this and it was shame she's Outside for a while. However, there were a number of my neighbors despite the late hour that showed up and she was sent pictures and video in real time so they in effect, made her a part of it.
I have many people to thank for many reasons. Whether it was getting their hands dirty, loaning tools, advice, support or corrections and directions, I owe many, much. We truly have some incredible friends.
Live it like its your last day.

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

Just bloody awesome, well done

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Incredible!!! Only minor squawks but that is to be expected. Great job and it's been a joy to follow your progress on this thread.

plowboy

Post by plowboy »

Hopefully you have a hanger to put the peril in, nice looking plane!

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

This has been an amazing journey for us Kurt watching the Yellowmaule family rebuild yellowmaule, the smug look on the entitlement dog in that last photo, the excitement reading your PIREP. Well done.

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

congratulations, awesome rebuilt!!