Very Reasonably Priced LED Landing Lights?

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Makes my old Pulse Lite system look like a dinosaur. Probably because it is.

Danws
100+ Posts

Post by Danws »

Hi James,
Are you still happy with your lights ? Im thinking of going with them.

Dan

super-maule

Post by super-maule »

Danws wrote:Hi James,
Are you still happy with your lights ? Im thinking of going with them.

Dan
Hello Dan,

I'm very happy with the wig-wag switch and the LED lights too. A friend of mine installed them in his Cessna 182. Was just down in your area over spring break at Pacific City, Oregon. Got to see Rob's new place, drove on the beach, and did some kayaking in the surf.

James

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

thanks for the tip. ordered the 13watt 30 degree from marinebeam.com

Danws
100+ Posts

Post by Danws »

Thanks james for the reply i will be getting some soon

Dan

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Anybody compare these against regular bulbs at night, particularly distance of throw?
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Teledyne Alphabeam is by far brightest LED that I've seen... But not cheap, just different layout of LED's, and PMA'd. Not much availability yet, but Aircraft Spruce has in stock.
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

I'll post some pics when mine gets here. I only ordered one so I could try it first and compare.

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Jim, those Alphabeams are nice. I hope they are affordable!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDeg99x1oI0
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

The alphabeam is like 40 watts. The cheap 65 dollar ones here are 13watts. Get what u pay for I suppose? we will see

Curtis
100+ Posts

Post by Curtis »

Wow! If the 40 watt light is that much brighter than a 100 watt bulb..I wonder how much brighter the 13 watt bulb will be than the 40 watt one.
Curtis

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

just tried the Marine beam 55 dollar 13 Watt 30 degree vs a 100 Watt spot light. not too impressed. I'll still install and use for a taxi light but I'm keeping the halogen for the spot landing light. the led is also about three times the weight of the halogen due to the metal heat sink inside it. again though 55 bucks vs 300 for the Whelen aviation led. which one fits your budget.

ive been thinking the 20 dollar led light bars for a car would fit perfect behind the lower lip of the cowling and point forward and down. or in front of the cowl lip and enclose it inside a aerodynamic fiberglass custom moulded housing. you can get a heck of a lot more than 13 watts from one if those.

Pbfl510

Post by Pbfl510 »

Guys,

I'm thinking about spending the money for the alphabeam.

Looking at the paperwork that comes with it, I don't see any Maules listed in the FAA/PMA approval.

How can I install them legally?

Thank you in advance.

PB

Curtis
100+ Posts

Post by Curtis »

Look at the post Nov 8, 2014 on this same topic. (There's no such thing as an approved landing light bulb anyway,)
Curtis

ajak
100+ Posts

Post by ajak »

PB, in response to your question, since the AlphaBeam isn't covered by an STC or PMA for the Maule, it would require an FAA field approval. This would be obtained by an A&P who would submit a 337 for the proposed installation, and have it approved by the FAA. It sounds like the LED lights are becoming so common overall that getting them approved (at least up here...) is a pretty quick and easy process.

I emailed Teledyne to ask if they anticipated adding Maule models to their PMA supplement in the near future. Here's the reply I got back: "Our apologies, we do not have the Maule models listed on our PMA supplement. At this time, we lack sufficient documentation to obtain the approval from the FAA for this aircraft model. What is needed is the integrated parts catalog (lighting section) in order for us to apply for adding the model to the PMA supplement. If I am able to find this from our sources, I will let you know. Thank you for your interest in our products and sorry for this inconvenience."

One of my neighbors (pilot/A&P) recently got a field approval for Rigid LED lights in his C180. He installed the Rigid LED lights in both wingtips, and has Parmetheus Plus LEDs in the conventional nose location. Maybe it was affected by the different beam angles, but watching him on short final the other day, looking at the Rigids next to the Parmetheus Plus was literally a day and night difference.

Here is the Rigid light:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... key=292710

They're listed at 3400 lumens, and *should* be plug-and-play. Teledyne says the AlphaBeams are 2000 lumens.

Addendum: sounds like I just got a 337 for the Rigids approved for my Maule! But Rigid is low on supply- waiting for them to arrive. I'll definitely post pics when I get them.

AJ
AJ
1983 M-6-235
IO-540W1A5D, 81" Hartzell, 4" ext gear, 31" tires, Atlee exhaust, long wings, VGs, LED ldg/nav/strobes, EDM-900, CiES