Price Comparison: Airhawk 29-10 vs. Bushwheel

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Andy Young
100+ Posts

Price Comparison: Airhawk 29-10 vs. Bushwheel

Post by Andy Young »

I've been considering going the Airhawk route, because in adddition to backcountry stuff, I also use a lot of paved runways. I had heard that they are much less expensive, but when I added up all the stuff you need, it actually comes out to about the same as Bushwheel tundra tires.

Airhawk 29-10: $500 each.
10" wheel: $$1000 each
Inner tube: $250 each
Total: $1750

31" Bushwheel: $1790 each

Yes, there is a slightly less expensive tube available ($165), and I did round the numbers to the tune of +$22. Still, very close.

So am I missing something? Is the lower cost argument more of an "over time" thing, given that once you are all set up the replacement tires will be less expensive?

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

so you're in a quandary over 40 bucks??? with the 10 inch wheels you can also go 8:50 10's which are about the same as 26 6's.cost wasn't my deciding factor in going to the airhawks.. they are just fantastic on rough ground as well as pavement...
Iceman

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

iceman wrote:so you're in a quandary over 40 bucks???
No, not at all. Just surprised to find that the Airhawks are not actually less expensive, given that I'd always heard that they were. In fact, given that they are so close in price, it might convince me to go the other way, though I might have to wait longer than I'd planned to afford them (not for the $40 extra bucks, but for the thousands total). I do like the feel (softness) of Bushwheels, but there is still the wear issue.

By the way, is the speed loss about the same with one vs. the other? I would assume so, but only having ever used the Bushwheels (never the Airhawks) I don't know from experience.

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

Andy, Don't forget to add in the 8lb weight difference in favor of the Bushwheels. Also, based on my experience, the BW's are actually slightly faster in the air due to the reduce profile. (The Airhawks pretty much retain their shape loaded and unloaded whereas the BW's get narrower unloaded.) Unless you get the shaved tires, the Airhawks will also pick up rocks at touchdown and throw them backwards AND forwards. You don't get as much prop clearance (or AOA) with the 29's. And...they will be nowhere NEAR as soft even if you stake the tires and run lower pressures (7-8psi).

On the plus side, you can find them used and entirely servicable for 50% (or less) of new. I'd just add, though, that I used to be entirely paranoid about running BW's on pavement and, after 8yrs or so of ownership, have found that fear to be unfounded. I think you can expect a nice long service life by just observing a few general precautions.

Paul
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

The main thing I'd look at Andy would be your use of tires. The 29" or 31" ABW's are much softer in sidewalls especially at lower tire pressures, making everything easier on MLG. They are also tubeless, so you don't have to worry about spinning a tire on rim and pulling off a valve core, which is a possibility if not enough air in airhawks... You can't run the Airhawks or any tube type tire at near the lower pressures of the ABW's. On the flip side, you'll get better tire wear / milage out of the 10" Airhawks. They also have the large tire rolling diameter, so they do good in the gravel bars, dirt strips, sand, etc... I have found drag produced by ABW's, floats, and skis to be quite close as airspeeds don't vary by more then 5MPH in cruz...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

I know my thoughts don't count for much due to my lack of experience with the subject matter :wink:

I have flown them all a bit here and there... seeins' how I am no longer able to have them at a discounted rate and knowing I liked the 10" setup the 31's would and will still be a minimum set that I will put on any Maule I own. for reasons stated above. If you are on a 10 mile paved runway then a 10 mile paved taxi way that you have no way around then the 29x11x10 is a great way to get the flotation, otherwise just remember taxi time is the leading killer of fat tires... :lol:

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

thank you again Wup for your expertise... been more than happy with the 29's ... I got a ways to taxi at my home airport if I don't or can't use runway 35 and have to taxi to 27... so my 29's are perfect... and since I don't do volley ball size rocks at the dirt strips I frequent I'm more than happ'y...
Iceman

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

I would like to hear some pireps from those of you running 29's - and how about some pictures :o I am considering running the 29's due to a mix of pavement/grass/rocks and would like to know what pressures you guys are running and also if anyone staked the tires - the abw 10x10's don't appear to have bosses/holes drilled for hubcaps?

I have a set of 8.50's but I do go visit some friends that have some pretty rough pastures to land in - the larger tires just make more sense to me.
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

TimB
100+ Posts

Post by TimB »

Wup; I agree with you in using the Airhawks when based using long runways as on customer has over 300 plus hrs. Since we installed them and we just rotated the tires as they were showing a little wear and wanted to keep the wear even. PS I like that ABI 10" wheel, a little bit of a pain to install the brake pads though.
TimB

BudG
100+ Posts

29 x 11 x 10's

Post by BudG »

Hi,
Just thought I'd add my two senses....
I got my 29's from ABW when WUP and the gang were still in Joseph about 2007. I use them from May to October in the lowere 48, mostly in the NW on grass, dirt asphalt rough and manicured grass. I'm not a honcho when it comes to unimproved strips but I do like to get dirty.
That being said. I have had great experience with th air hawks. I got the shaved ones and haven't had any bad things happen to my prop or underside of my wings. I run them about 11-15 psi. The 10" wheels don't have any holes to attach wheel covers but that's ok.
I cruise at about 120mph at 11 Gph 21mp 2150rpm. I do push it up to about 130 but I use 13gph 23sq. All in all, I think I lost 5-7mph with the Hawks. Oh, I have exposed HD ABW gear legs too.
I fly off of pavement off and on and over the time I have owned them I haven't seen any extreme wear. Best thing is.....when I wear them out....I can put 35" r's on hahahahahah.
Take care
CAVU2U

BUDG

ddh

Post by ddh »

Are 26 inch Goodyears not an option for a Maule? I have them on my cub and like them a lot for the price. $1500 for a set. The larger diameter and lower pressure sure smooths out some of the places I land on the farm and the beach. They seem to me to not wear at all. I know they are not as soft and forgiving or as cool looking as a bushwheel, but if used quite a bit on pavement they might not be a bad choice. I still have 6.00's on the Maule cause it is my "fast traveling airplane", especially compared to the cub.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

ddh wrote:Are 26 inch Goodyears not an option for a Maule? I have them on my cub and like them a lot for the price. $1500 for a set. The larger diameter and lower pressure sure smooths out some of the places I land on the farm and the beach. They seem to me to not wear at all. I know they are not as soft and forgiving or as cool looking as a bushwheel, but if used quite a bit on pavement they might not be a bad choice. I still have 6.00's on the Maule cause it is my "fast traveling airplane", especially compared to the cub.
At this time there is no STC

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

ddh wrote:Are 26 inch Goodyears not an option for a Maule?
Surely somebody has 337'd a set?

TimB
100+ Posts

Post by TimB »

Yes we got few 337's for the Good Year 26" through the FAA a few years ago but not lately
TimB

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I'm figuring ill run the 8.50's till I need the softer tire save some gas and on the eased coast not all that much rough stuff anyway.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money