Bushwheel vs Bushwheel

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
xwildcat
100+ Posts

Bushwheel vs Bushwheel

Post by xwildcat »

Everyone likes the 31" Bushwheel, but why is it better than the 29" ? What does it give that the 29s don't?.. and most importantly, is it worth the extra dough?

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

They are bigger, and softer and absorb bigger bumps? No I don't have either, way too much pavement flying here.

xwildcat
100+ Posts

Post by xwildcat »

Well, I'm told they wear fine as long as the toe in is correct on your plane. Otherwise, pavement scrubs them and causes the wear. I'll land on pavement a lot too, but everything's a compromise. So given their performance off airport, I hope to decide soon on either the 29s or 31s.

Two inches doesn't seem like a lot of difference to me. I wonder what gives?

Jeremy?...

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

If you land on pavement a lot, look at the 29x11-10's or blimp tires. At least that's my understanding anyway.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

i have the 29" bushwheels and love them. i found mine used, but if i ever need to replace them with new ones i will most likely buy the 31's.
M5-235

xwildcat
100+ Posts

Post by xwildcat »

How come?

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

When you speak of 29", there are two varieties.
The tubeless on 6" wheel, built in the same manner as the 31" or 26"......or
The 29"x 10, which mounts on a 10" wheel and has a tube. ABW builds this setup for those that don't need the super offroad performance of the tubeless 6" type and spend more time on blacktop. The extra un-needed tread rubber is removed to lighten them and to eliminate the deep grooves which can throw rock.
Large tyres all should have the double puck brakes to properly control the greater torque of longer radius, and to stop warpage from overheating the thinner single puck discs.
Each unit has it's own purpose, think of all these tyres as a landing system like ski's or floats rather than just replacement tyres.
Naturally it all comes at a price, just like Insurance......you don't need it till you need it.
As everything in aviation, '
"weight drag & money versus 'wants' or 'needs'.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I think it's more than 2 inches. I'm not sure, but there's more that 2" between a 6.00x6 and an 8.00x6 and more than .5" to an 8.50x6.
Give Wup a call or PM him. I'm sure he could tell you.
If it is only 2" then I don't see the value either. :?

xwildcat
100+ Posts

Post by xwildcat »

maules.com wrote:Each unit has it's own purpose, think of all these tyres as a landing system like ski's or floats rather than just replacement tyres.
Now there's some insight I can use. That's one of the most helpful things I've heard regarding the big footprint tires. Thanks, Jeremy!

So I'm ready (I think :shock:) to pull the trigger on some BWs on 6" Clevelands. Wup has told me the 31s are much better than the 29s, but I'm still not sure why this is.

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

Xwildcat, I had this talk over the summer with Wup. If I remember correctly the 31s have Kevlar belts, and are lighter. I think they are a newer design. Don't quote me. If I'm wrong Wup will correct me. Cheers...RB

Sam Rutherford
100+ Posts

real world experience

Post by Sam Rutherford »

Hi, new to the forum and new to Maules - it's going to be a good year!

I am in the process of buying an MX7 180, and plan on flying London-Cape Town at the end of the year.

I plan on doing some bush flying (Kenya, Kalahari desert etc.), but cannot avoid the big international airports for customs and immigration requirements. This must have been asked a million times, but is there a general good all-rounder tyre/wheel combination?

Out of longer term interest, what is the real penalty (payload, climb, cruise etc.) of the 31" compared to standard?

Thanks for any advice, Sam.
MX7 180-B

www.prepare2go.com
TV/Film & Rally-Raid Logistics

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

For the trip you are contemplating, the 8.50 x 6 Goodyear is the tyre you need. You will get better range through less drag than large tyres which you could ship down to Africa if you plan to do a lot of serious off runway landing. All the dirt strips I've seen in Africa are fairly dry and firm.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Sam Rutherford
100+ Posts

Post by Sam Rutherford »

Thanks Jeremy!

Sam.
MX7 180-B

www.prepare2go.com
TV/Film & Rally-Raid Logistics