Swing up window w/gas strut

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Hottshot
100+ Posts

Swing up window w/gas strut

Post by Hottshot »

Howdy yall

Looking to see what it will take to get the gas strut put in the swing up window verses the twist friction lock that I have now..

I have an Idea or two but I figured I 'd check first

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Wup, the one advantage of the friction slide is you can set it at any position. The gas strut is either fully open or fully closed. Maule has a retrofit kit but I don't know it's price.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Most likely It will end up with the sea plane doors anyway but I was looking for the one had operation of the strut type. either way I LIKE IT!!! 8)

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

I finally go it and got it put in WOW what a difference!! in the temps we have seen in the last little bit it is nice to with one hane reach out and trip the latch on role out and have fresh air in the cabin I will post pictures shortly.

FYI $50.00 (+/-) 8)

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

why not just fly with the window open? i prefer that.
but i have been known to pop the window open when entering the pattern. good to give the back seat passenger a warning first tho.

lets see some pics........
M5-235

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

UP-M5 wrote:why not just fly with the window open? i prefer that.
but i have been known to pop the window open when entering the pattern. good to give the back seat passenger a warning first tho.

I think he is. I think what he did was to replace the slide and knob on his swing out window with a gas strut. I believe this is the way Maule does it on the new airplanes. The advantage is I believe it only takes one hand to open the window, but as Jeremy pointed out the window is either open or closed, you can't open it just a little like you can with the slide arrangement. I started to do it on my airplane, mostly because of the cool factor, but had someone point out that you can't do partially open anymore, so I left it alone.
I did have an idiot try to close the passenger window without looseining the knob first, so I will either have to replace the slide or go with the struts. I'm thinking about having new slides laser cut from stainless steel. Of course if I had the struts, I wouldn't have to replace anything.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

a64pilot wrote:
UP-M5 wrote:why not just fly with the window open? i prefer that.

I think he is. I think what he did was to replace the slide and knob on his swing out window with a gas strut. I believe this is the way Maule does it on the new airplanes. The advantage is I believe it only takes one hand to open the window, but as Jeremy pointed out the window is either open or closed, you can't open it just a little like you can with the slide arrangement. I started to do it on my airplane, mostly because of the cool factor, but had someone point out that you can't do partially open anymore, so I left it alone.
I did have an idiot try to close the passenger window without looseining the knob first, so I will either have to replace the slide or go with the struts. I'm thinking about having new slides laser cut from stainless steel. Of course if I had the struts, I wouldn't have to replace anything.

Ryan-

For the most part in the pattern the window is open but depending on what I am doing. The half open window thing don't do me much good, it's all or nothin'!!! :wink:

A64--

The largist reason for this was to have one hand operation *Saftey* :P

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

As we're on the subject, remember that if landing in any sidewind, if both windows are open, the air will flow through the cabin and the ventral effect of the fuselage is compromised. Also the root ends of both wing for about 3 feet have badly disturbed air. Not a problem in normal landings but a detriment if approaching slowly.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

donknee
100+ Posts

Post by donknee »

Will the slow flight characteristics be radically different with the doors off? I really like fresh air!
:roll:
1976 M5-235-C

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

along those lines...... i was asked to haul some jumpers. is there a preferred method for this? front door off? rear door or both rear doors off?
M5-235

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Both Rear doors off is the way I have seen it done.... won't catch me doin' it. :shock:

Aerobatix

Post by Aerobatix »

maules.com wrote:As we're on the subject, remember that if landing in any sidewind, if both windows are open, the air will flow through the cabin and the ventral effect of the fuselage is compromised. Also the root ends of both wing for about 3 feet have badly disturbed air. Not a problem in normal landings but a detriment if approaching slowly.
I am still learning my maule with about 100 hours time so far. I have the new piston swing out windows and I have not closed them yet (it's HOT in Florida).

How would I know of the adverse effect of landing slow with the windows open? We've done some s l o w landings with full flaps and it seems very stable always. I do have VGs and elevator gap seals.

I just want to know what to look for so we are remiaing SAFE.

Thanks!

Rob
MX-7-160

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Rob,
I'll try an answer. The normal stall begins inboard and moves outboard. That's because the wings are washed out. That is there is a twist in the wings so that there is less angle of attack outboard. Disturbing the airflow at the wing root may cause a stall at a lower angle of attack. Which means that your lift will begin to lessen at a higher airspeed than normal, but it's not really unsafe because the rest of the wings are still "flying"and the tips where the ailerons are, are the last to stall. In level flight anyway. It would be much more noticable if you mucked up the airflow on the top of the wing.
Having both windows open would decrease the effectiveness of a slip because some air could flow through the fuselage.
I guess the moral is if you are trying to squeeze every drop of performance out of a short landing or T/O, close the windows.
Sorry if this is short, but I'm using a tablet, no keyboard and one letter at a time.

Aerobatix

Post by Aerobatix »

I understand the concept of the disturbed air I guess I just haven't noticed any unusual flying issues. Also, I wonder if having the flaps down minimizes the disturbed air issue.

I've also done slips with flaps and both windows open and again I really did not notice any adverse effects.

Again, I am still a low time Maule pilot and I want to learn everything I can so I can be as safe as possible while flying!

Thanks for sharing!

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I haven't noticed much difference either, but I'm sure it's there. I think it's a matter of just barely getting in and not getting in. I honestly don't fly that close to the edge. I believe Jeremy's point was there IS a difference and if you are after all of the performance there is, shut the windows on final.
A good point as I'm for getting all of the free performance there is to be had.
I have honestly noticed only a little difference in stall speed with full flaps with the VG's as opposed to without. So in my opinion VG's only help a little in the short field dept. I think there greatest benefit is in slow speed manuevering, not a reduction in stall speed FWIW