Vernier Throttle vs Friction Throttle mod

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Vernier Throttle vs Friction Throttle mod

Post by Green Hornet »

I am considering replacing the Vernier throttle with a friction. Has anybody done this modification? Any inputs would be appreciated.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

donknee
100+ Posts

Post by donknee »

I did it when I replaced the worn out prop control. It is more positive and enables a quicker response, for me. I think it is just as easy to set your manifold pressure. I think it is a plus...but if you are used to vernier you would probably favor that.
1976 M5-235-C

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Donknee,
Thanks, I have tried for over year to make the adjustment but on flare I really would like the quicker response.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

Donknee - do you recall the lenght from under the panel nut to end of threaded shaft with knob pushed in? does this change require an STC?
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

There is a way to hold the vernier throttle (NOT thumb on button and two fingures at back of button) that makes it just as responsive and still have the advantage of vernier for fine adjustment.
The ball/heel/root (fat bit) end of the thumb holds the button in, the topside of 2nd fingure grips behind the throttle knob, and the index fingure tip rests against the ferule nut at the panel. Takes a couple landings to get used to it but it might work for you.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Re: Vernier Throttle vs Friction Throttle mod

Post by RobBurson »

sojorrn wrote:I am considering replacing the Vernier throttle with a friction. Has anybody done this modification? Any inputs would be appreciated.
Hello Bill, IMO the Vernier works better for me. I learned in 172s so I have used both types. I drive Fire Engines and farm machinery with Vernier throttles. I'll second what Jeremy says, if you hold it right it work good. I like the light response of the Vernier, not having to work against friction.

Bottom line do what works for you. Regards...Rob

mike davis

Post by mike davis »

Bill I change my throttle cable to the friction lock I HATED the vernier set up would never go back call the nice people at Maule parts were 80.00 just make log book entry by a/p,cheap try buying one for cessna.The best thing about Maules we have the best factory support without a bunch of corp. greed heads marking the prices up 100%

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Re: Vernier Throttle vs Friction Throttle mod

Post by Hottshot »

RobBurson wrote:
sojorrn wrote:I am considering replacing the Vernier throttle with a friction. Has anybody done this modification? Any inputs would be appreciated.
Hello Bill, IMO the Vernier works better for me. I learned in 172s so I have used both types. I drive Fire Engines and farm machinery with Vernier throttles. I'll second what Jeremy says, if you hold it right it work good. I like the light response of the Vernier, not having to work against friction.

Bottom line do what works for you. Regards...Rob
I'm with you!!

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

I tried the grip Jeremy suggested today. I will continue to use Vernier for a while to see if this grip works for me in all conditions. Today is California paradise flying weather unlimited visibility, blue skies, winds varlible @ 5 knots. My 3 pt and wheel landings made my day. I want to try it out on a windy day when I might need a burst of power. That is my main issue with the Vernier because I have a tendency to take my hand of the throttle something I am correcting. I appreciate all the inputs.
Happy Flying
Bill
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

"California Paradise" Oh how I miss the weather, mountains, beach and the pilots. The word paradise just does not do it justice.

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

With all the foreclosures it is a good time to come back :wink:
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT