Super Skylight

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
gbarrier
100+ Posts

Super Skylight

Post by gbarrier »

Thinking about Super Skylight. has anyone done the install? How much of the much needed headroom does it actually give? I have been told that you need to pull off the wings to do the install. Is this true? How far back does it go?

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Done it. Like it. It does give more headroom. Probably about 3"... Unless you are tall and have the seat farther back. I still bang my head on one of the cross tube once in a while. However, I can now wear a hat and/or my headphone strap doesn't get pushed around by the headliner. Love the shade it comes with!

The wings do not have to come off but will you will need to remove the wing root fairings. There is welding to do. The new glass will go all the way back to the cross tube (whatever they are called) behind the pilot's head.

Call Brian at Maule. They sent me a DVD with images of the installation before I committed. Pretty helpful.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

crbnunit wrote:Done it. Like it. It does give more headroom. Probably about 3"... Unless you are tall and have the seat farther back. I still bang my head on one of the cross tube once in a while. However, I can now wear a hat and/or my headphone strap doesn't get pushed around by the headliner. Love the shade it comes with!

The wings do not have to come off but will you will need to remove the wing root fairings. There is welding to do. The new glass will go all the way back to the cross tube (whatever they are called) behind the pilot's head.

Call Brian at Maule. They sent me a DVD with images of the installation before I committed. Pretty helpful.
The next time I do one, I'll post progressive photos

Bruksflyg

Super skylight Maule M 7 #9187

Post by Bruksflyg »

crbnunit wrote:Done it. Like it. It does give more headroom. Probably about 3"... Unless you are tall and have the seat farther back. I still bang my head on one of the cross tube once in a while. However, I can now wear a hat and/or my headphone strap doesn't get pushed around by the headliner. Love the shade it comes with!

I received the DVD parts catalog from Bryan at Maule, I suppose it's the same.
Do you happens to have the measurements for the rear crossbar, where to weld it?
I'm doing the #9187 on a M 7, does anybody has pictures from start to finish to share
I would be grateful.
Filip
M 7 on floats/bushwheel
Sweden

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Don't be in a hurry. Ordered mine several years ago. Was contacted by Gary Wilson over a year ago and asked if I still wanted the kit. Assured him I did. Some months later touched based and asked how things were going, had a friend passing through and would like him pick it up. Was told the weldment part of the kit would be ready and he could pick it up so I paid up and he did. Asked Brian several months ago and said he would pass it along. Even noted it on the invoice for parts I ordered then. Don't have to have it myself but my son is tall above the waist and could really use it. He's pretty disappointed. Just glad I didn't tear the airplane apart. Love my Maule and enjoy talking to the folks down in Moultrie. Other parts come quickly and it's easy to talk to someone for advice.

Just saying, don't be in a hurry.

Bruksflyg

Post by Bruksflyg »

gbarrier wrote:Don't be in a hurry. Ordered mine several years ago. Was contacted by Gary Wilson over a year ago and asked if I still wanted the kit. Assured him I did. Some months later touched based and asked how things were going, had a friend passing through and would like him pick it up. Was told the weldment part of the kit would be ready and he could pick it up so I paid up and he did. Asked Brian several months ago and said he would pass it along. Even noted it on the invoice for parts I ordered then. Don't have to have it myself but my son is tall above the waist and could really use it. He's pretty disappointed. Just glad I didn't tear the airplane apart. Love my Maule and enjoy talking to the folks down in Moultrie. Other parts come quickly and it's easy to talk to someone for advice.

Just saying, don't be in a hurry.
Sad to hear, because we have brought our wonderful bird into atoms right now for refurbishment. Blaster the airframe new powder coating, new skin(polyfiber), new paint, fresh bolts/nuts all over etc etc.
We do not want to be delayed on delivery problems, we have already missed the float season and wait to fly the hunting season with bush wheels ........but I'm sure the Maule people catching up when reading. They are no money losers either (I hope)
Filip
M 7 on floats/bushwheel
Sweden

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Be careful with that powder coating rust can form underneath and go undetected until failure a high quality zinc fortified paint would be a better option.
The best Government, is less Government.

Bruksflyg

Post by Bruksflyg »

I'll discuss the powder coating with the painter. Thank's
Filip
M 7 on floats/bushwheel
Sweden