C201 337 approval for Franklin

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
n2020u

Post by n2020u »

Just ran across this post.. I have the 82" Mac on mine; didn't see any limit on the approval and it was field approved in Moultrie at MauleFlight( need to double check that) with 7.00 x 6's as it had the wheel fairings. BUT I do pull it back to 25 squared by the end of the field; it's the neighborly thing to do as there are no obstacles in San Jose! She is noisy though; here's a vid taken by a friend.

Take care,
Garrett

http://youtube.com/watch?v=s4XTwEA3IT0
Garrett

gulf200

Post by gulf200 »

Does anyone have the angle the 82" prop should be set to?

I am only getting around 2500rpm on the ground and want to send the prop off to a shop to get the low pitch stops adjusted.

1 shop said about 1 degree per 100 rpm. The other shop wanted to know what degree I wanted it set to and if I could find that for them.

Just curious what others have done. 220 franklin with 82" McCauley

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

They're all a little different based on how fresh / tired the engine is... Flatten it out about another 2-3 degrees should do it for you... Also verify that governor is backed off all the way to allow prop to contact stops... If you're a little high on RPM adjust governor to catch it, but I'd try to keep it within 10% of redline in case governor fails you don't get a run away prop. I'd also check your tach calibration with a tach checker to make sure that your tach is accurate as they are quite often off a hundred RPM or so at top of range? It's somewhat normal not to make redline statically, within 100 RPM would be good as it'll make redline during takeoff roll...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

gulf200

Post by gulf200 »

Thanks Jim.

From talking to the first shop I was thinking 3 degrees, but haven't checked the calibration yet.

I'm excited to get this prop doing what it is supposed to.

vaughans

Post by vaughans »

Just had an 82" Mac done by Northwest Propeller Service to go on my M4220C Maule. Set low pitch to 9.5 degrees from 13, .310 spacer was changed out to .175 to acheive the change. Have not installed prop yet, waiting to paint before installation. They have done quite a few these for installation on the 220 Franklin. Hope this helps as this question seems to come up from time to time.

Vaughans

gulf200

Post by gulf200 »

vaughans wrote:Just had an 82" Mac done by Northwest Propeller Service to go on my M4220C Maule. Set low pitch to 9.5 degrees from 13, .310 spacer was changed out to .175 to acheive the change. Have not installed prop yet, waiting to paint before installation. They have done quite a few these for installation on the 220 Franklin. Hope this helps as this question seems to come up from time to time.

Vaughans
Thanks for the numbers. That helps a lot.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Ok, so how big of a difference is the 82â€￾ Mac on the franklin in all honesty. I get the impression it’s a big difference, but can anyone quantify that?

1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Post by 1:1 Scale »

Would anyone be willing to share a copy of their 337 for the 82"? I plan on replacing my 78" C201 with an 82". I've got 8.50's and will be installing the extended gear, so clearance shouldn't be a problem, but would like the least restrictive approval I can have, if possible.

Thanks!

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Just reposting the below question. As I have the option for a new or used/rebuilt C201 available to me at the moment. I have had to many times where I have bought expensive items with the promise of great things only to be disappointed. So how great is the C201 on the Franklin.

Ok, so how big of a difference is the 82â€￾ Mac on the franklin in all honesty. I get the impression it’s a big difference, but can anyone quantify that?

firstmaule4

Post by firstmaule4 »

Come down to Uvalde Texas and fly my M4 with a 201 prop then make up your mind

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Appreciate the offer. Not sure when I can fly that far south. But I will let you know. Did you fly yours with the C22 first?

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

Mog, when I swapped the 22 for the 201 I wasn’t overly impressed with the Takeoff performance however it is better. I was hoping for some drastic changes. The biggest thing you will notice is pulling the engine to idle on final. Your airspeed will bleed off so much faster. It really is like using a speed brake if you have ever used one in a different airplane. This allows for very steep approaches which for me significantly shortened my landings. I would recommend the 201 and would do it agin knowing what I know now. I used Vaughn’s stop setting numbers above and make rpm just fine. Hopefully this is somewhat helpful. Oh and it’s loud very loud at 2800rpm.

stick_rudder
100+ Posts

Post by stick_rudder »

Mog,

If your on wheels, and extracting every ounce of performance out of your plane isn’t a hard requirement, then sticking with the C22 is a good option to save $$. I flew my plane for 2 years with the C22 on floats and wheels then upgraded to the C201. Biggest difference is on floats, would hate to go back to the C22 for floats. For wheels, much harder to discern the same performance improvement though I know I did gain performance. Good advice would be to fly a plane with the bigger prop.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I have tons of drag from tires gear and shock struts, so I have far more drag than most people. If it doesn’t turn it into a rocket otherwise then I may need to reassess. Guess I need to get in someone’s plane to figure it out. Hate to spend a bunch of money on a “ Meh feelingâ€￾.

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

Sticks-Rudder, I don’t know anything about float ops but I’m curious what the 201 affected positively in your float ops and why you lose the benefits or at least not feeling them when going to wheels? I figured it would be about the same. Thanks