problem finding room for 2nd CDI

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
cj8vet

problem finding room for 2nd CDI

Post by cj8vet »

We are having a 430W installed.currently 1 and only nav cdi is in the top hole, we wanted to move it down to the bottom hole and put the new garmin CDI 1 in the top hole BUT avionics shop called today and said there is "aircraft structure" in the way of the lower CDI. HUH?????I know there are lots of mauls w/ 2 cdi's, what could be going on?
comments
thanks
mark
mxt-180
N234PP
cj8vet
mark richardson
MXT-180
N234PP

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The # 2 CDI goes in the hole to the top right of the radio stack and engine guages are moved right one hole.
Or if using an HSI then that goes in place of the DG.
Or you can mess up the primary 6 instruments and place one of the shallower ones in the bottom hole left of stack and put #2 CDI in the hole left over.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

I ran into the same problem with the install on my KLN-94. We ended up putting the #2 CDI to the right of the radio stack as Jeremy suggested. I hate that location and it is not compliant with AC90-100A which a new installation might need to comply with... ask your avionics shop about that.

The Mid-Continent MD-40 might fit in there though, especially for Garmin since no converter is required. It is a 2 1/4" indicator and is available for most any nav system.

Let me know if your avionics shop can make the MD-40 work in that location. I would like to move mine but haven't pitched the bucks for a new indicator.

Kirk

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I did Jeremy's #3 option. HSI is way out of my price range, but would be the way to go if price wasn't an issue.

cj8vet

Post by cj8vet »

Thanks everyone, anybody know how deep a MP gauge is? we are thinking move CDI 2 to rt side of stack and instead of messing with 6pack, move MP to the bottom left hole, comments?
mark
cj8vet
mark richardson
MXT-180
N234PP

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

MP guage is not very deep and my 'guess' is it will fit in that hole at bottom left of stack.
With flashlight it's easy to see up under the panel.
Lay a sleeping bag on floor between pedals and seat and lay on seat backwards, use a headlamp and working under/behind the panel is easy and painless.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Jeremy,
You and I have a different idea of "painless". I think it may have something to do with your body size and mass as compared to mine :lol:

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

No pain no gain.
Actually it takes enough sleeping bags etc to get a level from the seat front to the pedals plus a cushioning over the pedal tops for the head to nap on. Knees bent over the seat backs tops. All tools laid out on the pilots seat for right handed folk. Flap lever on the floor, -7deg pos'n.
OK.....a tiny bit of pain.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

For the WAAS installation I believe you'd need the MidContinent MD-222 instead of the 40. It has glideslope etc. Ask your avionics shop though.

MD-222 is a 2" indicator that is 3.6" deep plus connector. Her is the link to the installation manual which has specs: http://www.midcontinentinstruments.com/ ... 22-406.pdf

Good Luck,

Kirk

cj8vet

Post by cj8vet »

thanks everyone, the avionics guys say the garmin cdi will fit in the lower left hole and only protrude a little,<1/4inch-sounds like it will not be too unsightly
mark
cj8vet
mark richardson
MXT-180
N234PP

taildragger
100+ Posts

Happy with mine.

Post by taildragger »

It all fits and it all works!! The Narco Nav122 with GS on the left side and another CDI coupled to secondary Nav and an MD 40 coupled to the GPS on the right. Just to give you a look at that kind of layout.

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Mark,

Glad your guy found a way to do it... I talked to my avionics shop about doing that on my install, but he wasn't too thrilled about doing more panel cutting and adel clamps. My indicator is a King.

You'll like having that indicator close by, it's really a pain to me to have an approach indicator to the right of the radios. Makes your instrument scan a lot more difficult.

Does the Garmin indicator need an Adel clamp to mount it that way or can it just be surface mounted?

Kirk

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

I took my ADF out.
Does anyone else think these things are boat anchors???

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Absolutely, I took out the Loran, ADF and #2VOR (Narco Nav12) along with all the old wiring. shaved 13lbs after installing the GPS and can go more places. Well worth it.

While we had the stack torn apart I had them rearrange it for better ergonomics and industry standard layout with the most used items at the top and the least at the bottom. Scatter shot panels being a pet peeve of mine.

From top down I now have
audio panel
#1 NAVCOM
GPS (IFR appch certified)
#2 COM
XPDR

I like the flow of that a lot and doesn't cost much to do while the whole stack is being worked on. I'll post a pic sometime when I'm home.

Kirk

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

There are still some approaches that require an ADF or have lower minimums with one, but I certainly wouldn't buy one. My Loran is out now, I finally got around to removing it. I have an ADF in the 210, it will stay for a while.