mx 160 to mx180b

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
mike davis

mx 160 to mx180b

Post by mike davis »

Rob this is for you other 160 owners may find this helpful.To convert from a 160 to 180 you will need a few things but not many. Parts needed airspeed indicator remarked ,manafold pressure/fuel pressure gauge,control cable for prop,prop, The prop is no big problem as they are the same as used on huskys and some of these guys are converting to MT's, engine here is the problem Lycoming 0360 c1f are like finding hens teeth as only used in Maules but if you are at TBO you could possibly convert your 0320 to 0360 both shoud be wide decks to do this you will need new crank ,cylinders pistons, carb rework and make sure all numbers match. Check local fisdo before attempting . I was thinking of going this route but found a c1f . Engine mount will need the tab welded on for prop gov. cable .All of this info is in mod kit 30 from Maule. Now is it worth it ,flying it now it takes off in half the distance 7 mhp faster 200lbs more gross wt. it seems to be better ballanced for landing as it addes about 30 lbs to the nose I love it it is the most vesital airplane ever built. I wander why and Jeremy going to hate me for this why didn't buid a 160 constant speed?

Aerobatix

Post by Aerobatix »

Mike,

Thanks for starting this thread. What is your estimate of total costs in dollars and man hours to do the conversion.

Also, tell me about how you found the correct 360 engine. Was it overhauled or did it already have some time on it? How much did the engine cost you and were you able to resale the O-320 to offset the new engine cost?If so what did you get for the O-320. I have about 1200 hours on my engine.

I'm not at the point to upgrade yet, but when I get my home/hangar project done it will one of the first large scale projects that I will tackle, along with a recover.

Again, give me some idea of dollars and hours as well as how you ultimately found the correct O-360 engine. Also, did you go with the MT prop? I hear REALLY good things about them from my buddys who fly aerobatics (Pitts and Yaks).

Looking forward to hearing more about the details of your experience on this upgrade!!

Thanks,

Rob

mike davis

Post by mike davis »

Rob the engine I found came out of a maule that crashed in alaska it had a light prop strike 1200hrs. preformed total rebuild with new clyinders,mags,carb,bearings,magnafux all steel parts work performed by me total cost with core 12,000 Prop the only prop cert. at this time is the hartzell but maule told me they were looking into a composite made by hartzell so this maybe an option later any way 5500 . Prop spinner 450.00 manifold pressure gauge 400.00 thanks Dave wright prop cable with hardware I believe was 100.00 thanks maule parts remark / rebuild airspeed 250.00 so total around 18500.00. Time to complete would I am thinking around 60 hrs another thing is the paper work you will have to change your airworthiness cert. FAA will come by to bless it no big deal. My old engine and prop is for sale 292 hr. I will probably have to change model desigation to sell ,maule uses an oddball engine model as this is why the 0360 is hard to find. Here is an option I was thinking but didn,t peruse call MT or maule see what take to cert. a constant speed for your 160 you have a gov. pad on the 0320 I think this would be a good setup. check spec for mx180A to mx180B it is the prop that makes it kick ASS!!