Wheel Pants install - moving brakes to front?

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

I have never opened up the fairing, so you will need to ask Jeremy or Dave at w.a.t.
Talk to your IA/A&P about you doing the install and he inspecting it before it is closed up (under his supervision).
I think MOST owners do as good or better than many licenced mechanic's on job's like this. Because your BUTT is on the line and it is good to learn about these things.
If your mechanic says NO, you have the option to ask another.
I think you can change out the brake setup and R&R the tire and wheel, but the brake line and fairing need supervision or a licence. I am not 100% sure, without the book in front of me.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Aerobatix, all you need are the two brake lines from Maule or AK bushwheel and a couple of grommets from the hardware store.
I usually close the fairing with tiny bolts instead of reriveting for later access. It was standard lore to leave the fairings off when doing bushwork in AK to keep an eye on everything. Modern law probably say's that is not on the TC. There is a ring welded on the A frame which you can tiewrap the braided line to.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Oh, and bleed the brakes when your done :oops:

Aerobatix

Bought the brake lines....

Post by Aerobatix »

Well, I called Maule Air INc. and got a price of $166.40 each line for the stainless brake lines.

I then called AK Bushwheel and spoke with Wup! AK price was $100 each so I ordered them and they're on the way.

I did speak with Bryan at Maule Air and he is supposed to be emailing me the PDF file of the Maule drawings for the brake install on the fornt side as well as the drawing for the Wheel Spat install.

I'm thankful Jeremy mentioned calling AK Bushwheel as that phone call saved me about $130!! That will soften the blow to pay the A/P for the install.

Thanks and I'll post some pics when I'm done!!

Rob

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Don't forget to do a little something for the folks at Maule for kindly sending you those drawing's.
Hope all goes well with your project, you will be very happy when done.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

I was in a meeting with the faa today and I brought up your situation, they said tell him to install it and call an IA to sign it off.
This is off the record so, just do it and do it right, then call your IA to inspect it.
If you run into a snag, post it and one or all of us will help you. I,m sure you will do a good job and if you don't your IA will kick you in the bottom and charge you for it.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

When you get it done post a picture and we will give you a thumbs up or down before you call your IA.
What do you think about that?
While your waiting for your brake lines, order all new bolts and nuts for your axels, make sure they are correct length. I always replace bolts and nuts on any place in or on the landing gear when I remove or change something. I need to take a writing course.........
You could also get the nuts and bolts Jeremy spoke about for the fairing (use stainless). This will save you from buying bucking bars and rivets.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

You can do all the work except the brake line, as per part 43. Changing the line on the hydraulic system is clearly noted as a major alteration. If your plane had came with braided lines and you need to replace one you would be ok.
Changing the rivets to bolts in the fairing's is ???, Since it is not a major repair or MAJOR alteration (depends on the reader), I think it is ok. To be on the safe side, put it back as it is now and then " no problem"