Wheel Pants install - moving brakes to front?

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Aerobatix

Wheel Pants install - moving brakes to front?

Post by Aerobatix »

Hello,

I have a set of standard Maule wheel pants (the half pants that cover area behind tires). I called Maule a while back about installing them and they gave me some direction but I want to see if anyone here either has them installed from the factory, or has added them after the fact.

The mounting is pretty simple using the tube sleeve facing rearward you simply slide the mounting arm into the sleeve on the landing gear and put the bolt in. The issue is that I have 7x6 tires so I need to use a Dremel and remove some of the fiber glass to allow enough space between the tire and the pant. This is not a problem.

Another thing the tech at Maule highly recommended is that I move the calipers to the FRONT of the tires. He said this is to reduce the chance of the tire getting cut on the sidewall if you have a hard landing during which the tire could "bulge" on the lower rear area and make contact with the caliper and brake pad, cutting the tire.

He said to simply remove the caliper mounting bracket and rotate 180* to move the assembly to the front. I asked about the "hard" brake line and he said they simply "carefully" bend it as needed for the new front location.

Has anyone done this? Any trouble with the brake line breaking or kinking? I was also wondering if you could simply cut the brake line where it exits the landing gear fairing and then install the correct fitting to allow you to connect a flexible brake line from that point to the caliper.

Looking for suggestions.... Jeremy??

Thanks!!

Rob
La Belle, FL

donknee
100+ Posts

Post by donknee »

I have the flexible brake lines...replaced the badly kinked ones. The connection is concealed in the fairing of the "A" frame. I think it is a good upgrade and can prevent future brake line problems.
1976 M5-235-C

Aerobatix

Post by Aerobatix »

donknee wrote:I have the flexible brake lines...replaced the badly kinked ones. The connection is concealed in the fairing of the "A" frame. I think it is a good upgrade and can prevent future brake line problems.
Did your Maule come with the flex brake line installed, or did you have it installed as an upgrade? Did you get the parts from Maule as a "kit" or did your A/P simply do the job himself?

Any chance of getting a picture?

Thanks for the reply!

Rob

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

i tried to move my calipers with the hard aluminum lines and they cracked.
so i took the skins off the gear legs and fabricated new brake lines with flex lines on the lower 18" or so. works great.
i believe maule also sells a stainless flex line for this area.
M5-235

donknee
100+ Posts

Post by donknee »

In the pre-purchase inspection there were some badly kinked but functioning brake lines. We required they be replaced and an A/P did the repair with stainless braid hose and fittings. I know I have some photos...somewhere :roll: Before and after. There is a thread about this and the kit cost...seems less expensive to just have your A/P make them.
1976 M5-235-C

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

mine are factory installed. If you would like a picture I can post it later (after trip to the hanger)
I will also look for some info on a half wheel pant (spat) on a Maule I saw up north, it was the best install I have ever seen. It was custom.

Aerobatix

Post by Aerobatix »

210TC wrote:mine are factory installed. If you would like a picture I can post it later (after trip to the hanger)
I will also look for some info on a half wheel pant (spat) on a Maule I saw up north, it was the best install I have ever seen. It was custom.
David,

I'd really appreciate any pics you can get me of both your setup and the Maule pants you mention on another plane. As you know, a picture is worth a thousand words!

Thanks for the help!!!

Rob

mike davis

brake line

Post by mike davis »

Rob this is a very simple mod drill out rivets on trailing edege of the wheel leg fairing start at bottom as you may not have to remove all of them .Install new braided line from maule the line is attached to a bulkhead fitting you will see it near top of leg. The exit hole for the line may need to be inlarged as hose is larger than the tube and there is a rubber gromet that goes around it.This is a mod that should be done as it will fail when needed most.Also mx7 160 N9232G sister ship to yours is now mx180b and performance is awwwsomm. go luck

Aerobatix

Re: brake line

Post by Aerobatix »

mike davis wrote:Rob this is a very simple mod drill out rivets on trailing edege of the wheel leg fairing start at bottom as you may not have to remove all of them .Install new braided line from maule the line is attached to a bulkhead fitting you will see it near top of leg. The exit hole for the line may need to be inlarged as hose is larger than the tube and there is a rubber gromet that goes around it.This is a mod that should be done as it will fail when needed most.Also mx7 160 N9232G sister ship to yours is now mx180b and performance is awwwsomm. go luck
Hi Mike,

I'd like to hear more about your completed conversion to the 180. I am building a house and hangar at an airpark in Florida. After I'm done I will be recovering the Maule and I'd REALLY like to do the 180hp upgrade.

Would you did again if you had the chance? Others have said to sell this Maule and buy a 180 as it would be cheaper in the long run. My plane only has 1200 hours total so I have a good bird, just want some more power!

TELL ME MORE!!!!!!

THanks,

Rob
sarlan@comcast.net

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

To all I would advise changing the ridgid brake lines for steel braided flex lines as absolutely quickly as you can. The age of those old lines, the wear point as they exit the fairing and the constant vibration has rendered them brittle and unsafe by now. Cheap insurance from an inadvertant excursion as many can tell you.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Add me to the list of people that advise you to sell your airplane and buy a 180 hp. instead of converting it.

Aerobatix

Post by Aerobatix »

maules.com wrote:To all I would advise changing the ridgid brake lines for steel braided flex lines as absolutely quickly as you can. The age of those old lines, the wear point as they exit the fairing and the constant vibration has rendered them brittle and unsafe by now. Cheap insurance from an inadvertant excursion as many can tell you.
Jeremy,

Is there a kit for this from Maule, or is it something that I would simply have an A/P do for me? Would the new flex hose still route through the interior of the gear fairing, exiting an enlarged hole with a grommet to prevent wear?

I'm ready to have this done, I just want to be as clear as possible with the A/P about exactly what to do.

Thanks!!

Rob

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

I know it needs cleaning and paint.
The spats don't fit 850's.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

I would call Johan at Maulemods, he has done many engine upgrades

Aerobatix

Post by Aerobatix »

David,

Thanks for the pics. Is the new flex brake line attached at the fuse inside the gear fairing? Or, is there a splice made inside the fairing to install a connector for connecting the new flex line to the original metal line?

THis seems like a very simple mod. I wish I could just do this myself instead of having to go to an A/P. I am fairly mechanical and as I have read elsewhere, I am competent and capable of doing much more to my airplane that I am legally allowed.

Thanks again!

Rob