Boot Cowl/Kickpanel/Cheek Observation Windows

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Autorotate

Boot Cowl/Kickpanel/Cheek Observation Windows

Post by Autorotate »

Like these on N91AR....has anyone on the board any experience with these windows (installation/mod or flight experience)....Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Autorotate on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
If some is good, more must be better...

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I designed that 'kickpanel window' in the '90s when building up a US wildlife Maule. The factory later offered it as an option.
The bid called for competing with a tandem airplane for moose counts etc.
We were able to demonstrate the Maule could get 'on site' quicker and had a higher moose count than the tandems, Cub Husky Scout.
Pilot sits in left seat, biologist in centre of rear seat (centre seat belt) thus able to view both sides through patroller windows.
Co-pilot seat is removed leaving good legroom and place for tracking devices, cameras etc, plus biologist can use the co-pilot observer door to see what is coming up.
Meanwhile the pilot can look through the kickpanel window to anticipate next turn especially when following a tree line or river.
This allows for less yawing and rolling which can be hard on a backseater.
It also helps in taxiing on rough ground or skis or floats.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

chazdevil
100+ Posts

Cheeky windows

Post by chazdevil »

Thanks for the nice photos of, and description of, the new object of my desires.
Must have more windows. :)
Chaz
79 M5 235Turbo

Autorotate

Post by Autorotate »

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like there's different types/differences to the few images I can dig up...so I take it this a 337/field approval mod, (i.e. same as the patroller doors) not a standard STC type deal?

Any chance you have other pics of how the interior finished up on the ones your associated with Jeremy?

Here's what the one on N666PS looks like....

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The window on 666PS is factory fitted, the first one shown is customized and longer at the bottom but does not go as far down (reference the rudder pedal).
Buy the drawing from Maule and you can get the job done without STC or 337. It is an approved option like the plexiglass lower doors or swingout windows.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Autorotate

Post by Autorotate »

Boot Cowl Window
Drawing # 9167F

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

I called and talked to Bruce in tech support about this one today, and he said the "kit" is $148.50, but that might be an old price. He didn't say you couldn't do it on the left side, but said it would be a pain in the butt with the fuel valve stuff in the way.

He told me that when he rode in one with this modification, he was surprised at how much he could see through that tiny window.
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I originally designed the window in the right side for a US gov contract so the pilot could follow a river or treeline and make directional adjustment without need of yawing turns as the biologist or fish counter or animal spotter etc was happy in centre of the rear seat spotting both sides.
The right front seat was removed so backseater could see through right front patroller door and lots of room for legs, files, tracking devices etc.
A boot cowl window on left is of little use to the pilot as one can have the window open or can see down through patroller door being as the fuselage curves inward below midpoint.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

I remember reading about that in an earlier post. It's a cool addition you came up with. Not sure if it's something I'd consider, but it's cool nonetheless. If I end up recovering soon, I might work it into the mix.
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Agree, right side is great. Don’t think I could see much through the left.

Jeremy, I think I have one of the airplanes you designed it for.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

gbarrier, red on white M7 perhaps, but forgot the N offhand.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Jeremy, mine was an M-6 for Mountain Air Research, Idaho I think.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The original design was on an M7-235 for Fed AK Fish and Wildlife. Oakland FSDO in CA approved the 337 based on a sketch and statement that no controls or electrics were affected and it was non-structural. Years later Maule put it on the optional equipment with a drawing etc.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide