Fuel Flow gauge, MP/RPM gauges

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

akloon, sounds like your transducer IS in the right place. but like jeremy said, make sure there are no 90 degree AN fittings attatched to the transducer itself. also, i seem to remember JPI wanting their transducers to set a certain way. they have a top and bottom. the same is not true of the EI transducers as far as i know. not sure about the shadin stuff.

i just had an EI transducer on a beaver go T.U. and the company was great to work with as far as troubleshooting and product support.
M5-235

akloon
100+ Posts

Post by akloon »

Thanks for all the feedback. The engine driven pump is back in and hooked up, runs fine. I haven't had the throttle much more than 1000 rpm, so the effect on the Shadin is still not fully tested, but it registered a 0.0 at that rpm, which isn't right, obviously. When it was working it was around 2 gpm or less depending upon the mixture setting. I'll have to trouble shoot that one more before I can tell you if it's working properly.
One thing I did learn that is a good passdown was putting the engine driven pump back in was a LOT more difficult than pulling it out. The drive arm fits back in under a small piston that's attached to the crankshaft, apparently. We moved the prop until the piston could be held up and out of the way to allow the drive arm of the pump to fit back into place. The piston free falls down into the way when not held up. You have to put the drive arm in below the piston and push it up as you raise the pump into place, then have someone else fiddle with the mounting bolts until you can get them started. We almost gave up on it, it took some trial and error! Jamming the drive arm in and bending that piston would have been disastrous had my mechanic not been familiar with the procedure.
1995 M-7-235B

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

believe it or not, the fuel pump on an old small block Chevy installs exactly the same way

akloon
100+ Posts

Post by akloon »

That's what the mechanic said also. Have you seen any specifications in the Lycoming manual as to a fuel pressure required for a given rpm?
1995 M-7-235B

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

No, I haven't. But that doesn't mean that there isn't one. I think that I remember a volume measurment though. I keep wondering if the boost pump would keep the engine running in the event of a mechanical pump failure. On some aircraft I believe it will.
You have a IO don't you? The fuel flow gauge half of the MP gauge is really only a fuel pressure gauge. I think a failing pump may show itself initally, by not reading full flow at T/O. That of course is when max flow is demanded and a weak pump may not be delivering full flow. Pressure should remain constant redardless of flow until flow demanded exceeds the pumps ability to deliver. Then pressure would drop and since the fuel flow gauge is really a pressure gauge, it should show up there.
All of this is theory, but I do check for fuel flow rate at T/O.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

FloScan makes nearly all of the flow sensor's that are placed in the fuel line.
The wire's need to be on the top for the unit to work properly.
I think??? E.I. is now building their own unit, if so they would have to be consulted to see if the unit has up/or down.
All of the flow gauges I have are attached to floScan transmitters.
A rule of thumb is to have 6" of strait fuel line in and out of the Flow transmitter.

senoiaslim

Post by senoiaslim »

Jermey,

I have moved some radios around and now have room to install the JP5-L in one of 2 places.
1. Upper right of the radio stack where the old ADF guage sat. To the right would be the MP guage
2. The lower left of the panel on the bottom part. There is a EGT/CHT guage that would be to the right of the JP5-L. I like having the FF up a little higher, but You have me wondering about the idiot lights being on at night. I should be in Molltrie for the flyin. Maybe someone could give me some ideas? Also, I guess I can one extra guage attached to it. I am thinking of the CHT which would be nice to have up higher if I put the guage in the upper right of the radio stack.

thanks
Mark

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Maule always install the egt and ff in the bottom two holes unless specially requested elsewhere.
The JPI ff lights bother me at night so I use the bottom also. If the low fuel warning is utilized it gets my attention.
When installing, leave enough wire in the harness and it will only take a very short time to re-install elsewhere, though you will have to change the blanking plate.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide