Fuel Flow gauge, MP/RPM gauges

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
senoiaslim

Fuel Flow gauge, MP/RPM gauges

Post by senoiaslim »

Does anyone have a FF gauge in their Maule? I have a M-5 O540 and want to add a FF gauge. Is that possible and if so, what would all-you-all recommend? I would even consider all 3 gauges in on digital or not...
Mark

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Hi Mark,
I just installed one in my Maule and I have them in my other airplanes.
I use E.I. , I've used others but, I like this one the best.
I could write a few paragraphs on this issue however, I will for now just say , put one in. You will be happy.
Make sure you get the STC for primary use then you can remove your wet system if you have one (also has fuel pressure built in).
A wet system brings a small copper line (with fuel inside) into your cockpit and that attaches to your gauge. CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS
While your at it toss out maule's fuel gauges and install E.I. fuel gauges.
You will be in heaven. The warning systems they employ are SUPER.
Go to my website and click on instruments, then click on each instrument and it will take you to E.I. info site.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I'm with David on this one. I too run the UBG-16 and added oil temp and fuel flow. The only bad thing is that it is not a totalizer that would give you amount burned, amount and time remaining etc. It will only give you fuel flow. It can be tied into another instrument for fuel management like a Garmin 430.
I think the JPI is a totalizer that will give you fuel burned, remaining etc.
If you want fuel flow only then Shadin makes an excellent one, but I would recommend you spend the money on an analyzer.

senoiaslim

Post by senoiaslim »

Do you use the FP5L?
Mark

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Yes, I do.
If I ever get her out of the hanger I'm going to have some real DATA to talk about.
I think based on the one I have in the rocket that I will burn less fuel.
Whenever I have good data I am more conservative.
I would bet money that i use at least 1 to 1.5 GPH less in the rocket, in one of my twin's closer to 5 GPH. When fuel is 4 bucks your eye's gravitate to that ff meter more than they should.
(update, I given some thought and conclude the twin is closer to 4GPH. I don't want to Bravo Sierra you)
Last edited by 210TC on Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

W.A.T.

Engine Monitor....

Post by W.A.T. »

J.P.I. is the way to go... :D

SWEET
Wright Aircraft Technology, LLC
151 D W Wright Road
Moultrie, GA 31788

Telephone: (229) 324-3163

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

I'm no expert. I just had a JPI 450 put in my M7. I like it, but have only flown with it 1 time. The EI looks great also. Regards...Rob

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

When in doubt wip it out (the facts)

http://www.buy-ei.com/EI%20FP-5L%20vs%2 ... FS-450.htm

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

However, I've never been a fan of name attack advertizing.
I have a plane in my hanger with EI but I order JPI on all my own planes.
Probe response is much quicker and more acurate and all the functions I can imagine using are there on the JPI plus readout is every 6 secs for 24hrs of flight and fully downloadable to a graphical /visual format for trouble shooting or learning accurately how I have been operating the engine, or, how others who are blaming engine problems on mechanical systems, mechanics, fuel, etc etc have been operating the engine.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

W.A.T.

Post by W.A.T. »

Both E.I. and J.P.I. instruments are excellent tools to have and the people and support behind them is great as well.

From a mechanic's standpoint, I would rather install (2) JPI 's to (1) E.I.

The JPI wiring is much lighter weight and can be easly cut to the correct length for a cleaner installation. E.I. wiring comes with the ends already installed, therefore you must cut off the installed ends and reinstall new ends if you want a clean install, or bundle all that excess wire under the panel like a big bird nest.

JPI for me...

PS: JPI is already on the approved "Maule Equipment List" no FAA 337 form required.
151 D W Wright Road
Moultrie, GA 31788

W.A.T.

Post by W.A.T. »

Thought I should clarify...

JPI E.G.T. 701 series including FF is approved on the Maule Equipment list.
151 D W Wright Road
Moultrie, GA 31788

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Had I not gotten the EI for a lot less than the JPI, I probably would have gotten the JPI. For me price is an issue. I'm just glad there is more than one choice. I kinda think it's a little of a Ford or Chevrolet thing, at least as far as a pilot is concerned.
While I want go as far as saying the factory gauges are junk, I will say that the EI and JPI gauges give you numbers that are accurate. The factory gauges are good only for spotting trends.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Mark asked "Does anyone have a FF gauge in their Maule?"
And if you have read about or used both stand alone fuel flow instruments , only a blind man can say that they are even in the same ball park ( this is not bashing).
I would love to know the weight diff on the elctrical. AWG 22 wire is about .08 oz's per foot. It is so light that manufacture's give weight in 5 lbs per 1000 ft. I do not like the connectors either.
I do see that if I was in the install biz I would make (above labor) apx $742.50 v. $225.00 JPI/EI on mark-up on the resale. However, the two unit's should under no circumstances be compaired. One is for fuel and the other is for EGT/CHT with add on's and only one will blink a red light if your fuel pressure goes above or below a certain limit, among other waring systems.
Idiot lights are the safest from of comunication between an instrument and a pilot. When that little red light pops on your eye pop on also.
Off road racer's perfected the idiot light and the horn. Example, VW race car, large red light would come on if oil pressure was lost and if you could not see the light a motorcycle horn was also installed so you could hear it. If the fan belt came off you would lose both your generator and air cooling of the engine. In this case a flasher switch would be installed and the light would blink/ horn would beep beep. Solid light or horn SHUT down engine, beep beep, I got a little time. If you really want to know about waring systems, I think the company is still called Murphy Gauges and Instruments. I wonder if this has anything to do with Murphy's Law?
Argument is good when it brings out facts that are beneficial to all.

senoiaslim

Post by senoiaslim »

Man great thread! I appreciate all the info! I really don't want anything but a FF gauge. I will use the Maule gauges along with the FF gauge for more accurate judging the amount of fuel left. I was leanig towards the Fp-5 or fpl-5. but I don't know the difference between the two? Any ideas?

I have a egt/cht gauge already

thanks
Mark

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Mark,

The FP-5L just adds GPS interface to allow fuel information on your GPS, if you have one with that capability.