Sportsman STOL on Maule Wing

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
aero101
100+ Posts

Sportsman STOL on Maule Wing

Post by aero101 »

Just finished up doing a Sportman LE Cuff on a Cessna and got to looking at the very minor difference of the USA35B Mod Airfoil which is on the Maule, and the Cessna NACA 2411. After plotting them both out, looks to me like this might be an interesting mod? Has anyone ever toyed with this mod or known anyone who tried it?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

I would be interested to hear your results if you decide to play with that little project! :D

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

That cuff made a dramatic difference to a C170 I saw recently and I wondered if it had been tried on a Maule wing. Hope someone tries it.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

chazdevil
100+ Posts

Cuff

Post by chazdevil »

I'll throw my hat in as an interested party.
79 M5 235Turbo

chazdevil
100+ Posts

Cuff

Post by chazdevil »

I was just curious if you've had any time to progress on this?
Chaz
79 M5 235Turbo

Flybrian1950
100+ Posts

sportsman cuff on Maule wing

Post by Flybrian1950 »

I spoke to the folks at Stene Aviation in Polson MT a month or so ago and they were interested.

They were replacing a Horton STOL cuff with a Sportsman on a Cessna 182C. A little disappointing since I just acquired a 182D with the Horton.

I'm curious how a set of the double fowler flaps and sportsman cuff would work on a early MX7 30' 9" wing. It could still be a fast flyer, and have improved STOL characteristics with out the cost of a Universal or Long Wing conversion.

I just happen to have a set of those wings in the hangar, hummm what to do do, go certified or experimental with that project?
SN 8020C, The first M6-180 land plane.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

geez my m4 stalls at 45, can't imagine what it would be with the sportsman cuff....
Iceman

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Do it man. DO IT!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Flybrian1950
100+ Posts

Post by Flybrian1950 »

Chaz are you interested in a sportsman cuff on early mx7 wings?
Understand you are thinking about a change over to M6/MX7/M7 wings, with the flap mods to your 5er.
Early MX7 wings would get flaps and keep the speed.
Then add the Sportsman afterwards.
Just a thought. Early MX7 wings could be available now that I have another set of universal wings coming.
SN 8020C, The first M6-180 land plane.

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

Everything that I have read about the sportsman's cuff is impressive. If you do this, please keep us in the loop. I've got a really bad case of the "want too's". I only have three things keeping me from building an experimental Maule with this cuff, Money, Time, and Know-How.
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living" Author unknown.