Maule MX-7-180 booster pump

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Carlos

Maule MX-7-180 booster pump

Post by Carlos »

Ihave a Maule MX-7-180 wich its booster pump has suddenly stoped working.
It is a Duke 1184-00-1 or 1184-00-3.
I have looked for a reasonable echange/repair quotation but found nothing less than over $1000
Any one has a better solution than paying such a high price?
Thanks
Carlos

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Cessna has rebuilt and new available. They do fine job of rebuilding and if you have good usable core, they were around $500 exchange. If pump not doing anything at all, I'd check that it's getting power prior to ordering a new pump as the MX7-180 pump is not used for much of anything except engine stoppage, or maybe engine driven pump failure?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Carlos

Maule MX-7-180 Booster Pump

Post by Carlos »

Thanks Jim for your information.
$500 for a repaired pump is a good price. The core I have is in good working order.
Yes we checked the power reaching the coil the pump and it was OK.
Carlos

CRAZEDpilot

Post by CRAZEDpilot »

I haven't sent our pump off yet but http://www.aeromotorsllc.com/aeromotorsllc/ shows they will overhaul the Duke for $450.

Other reviews online were positive, this will be my solution as long as they email back :)
-B

VH-MEU

Maule MX7-180 booster pump

Post by VH-MEU »

The Dukes electric boost pump (model: 1184-00-3) failed on my M5 recently. The pump was a refurbished unit installed 8yrs ago (@ $1,800AUS) after the seals went, it didn't fail but leaked fuel when turned on which I only discovered after landing. This time the pump stopped as the boost switch circuit breaker activated. On removal & sent away for assessment the problem was found to be a seized electric motor bearing, pump seals OK. Three weeks & $500AUS later pump reinstalled but what I've added to the dash is a red LED light that's on to warn me when the boost pump is switched on. If you get distracted (ie. when one doesn't do T/O or Lng checks correctly) it's easy to leave the pump on for long periods! The same issue with the Aux. fuel tank pump switches so I've also added a dash green LED indicator which is on when either L/R or both Aux. fuel pump switches are on. I recently vented most of an Aux tank by switching the pump on while taxiing to stop overflow but forgot to switch off after T/O. The pumped fuel had no were to go as main tank was almost full at T/O. I've been flying the M5 for the past 25yrs but there's a first time for everything! Paul

VH-MEU

Maule MX7-180 booster pump

Post by VH-MEU »

The Dukes electric boost pump (model: 1184-00-3) failed on my M5 recently. The pump was a refurbished unit installed 8yrs ago (@ $1,800AUS) after the seals went, it didn't fail but leaked fuel when turned on which I only discovered after landing. This time the pump stopped as the boost switch circuit breaker activated. On removal & sent away for assessment the problem was found to be a seized electric motor bearing, pump seals OK. Three weeks & $500AUS later pump reinstalled but what I've added to the dash is a red LED light that's on to warn me when the boost pump is switched on. If you get distracted (ie. when one doesn't do T/O or Lng checks correctly) it's easy to leave the pump on for long periods! The same issue with the Aux. fuel tank pump switches so I've also added a dash green LED indicator which is on when either L/R or both Aux. fuel pump switches are on. I recently vented most of an Aux tank by switching the pump on while taxiing to stop overflow but forgot to switch off after T/O. The pumped fuel had nowhere to go as the main tank was almost full at T/O. I've been flying the M5 for the past 25yrs but there's a first time for everything! Paul

VH-MEU

Post by VH-MEU »

Apologies, finger trouble. Paul
" few seconds in life are more releasing than those in which a plane acends to the sky"
-- Alain de Botton (2002) The Art of Travel--

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

My Dukes electric fuel pump just failed again after having it overhauled by CJ Aviation in Miami FL to the tune of $876 in June 2019. Fortunately, they have a 1 year/150 hour guarantee (whichever comes first) so I just got in under the wire on the 1 year. My A&P is talking to them but it makes me wonder if they are a good shop to do this kind of overhaul. Does anyone else have experience with them?
Andy
1986 MX7-180

TimB
100+ Posts

Post by TimB »

Have run their pumps for years with no problems on many aircraft since late 2002.
TimB

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Thanks TimB. My A&P said that the motor was running but no fuel was being pumped so something inside the pump failed. The symptom was that I got no increase in fuel pressure by switching it on during run-up. When the engine was shut down, I switched on the battery master and the fuel pump. There was no rise in fuel pressure on the fuel pressure gauge but you could hear the pump running faintly.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

CaseyM
100+ Posts

Post by CaseyM »

My dukes pump (1184-00-3) started to leak when the aircraft was sitting in the hangar with the fuel on. It would begin to drip out of the pump overflow line about 10-15 minutes after the engine was shut off. The pump worked normally and had no other issues.
I sent the pump off to AeroMotors llc in browntown, WI. in the middle of prime flying time (june) and they rebuilt the pump, had it back to me in less than 10 days from the time I sent it to them. The pump has been back on my Maule for almost a year and around 100hrs hobbs with no problems.
They charged $450 (include a check in the packaging) and that included return shipping.
Very easy process and seems like a good company.
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C

Njacko
100+ Posts

Post by Njacko »

andy wrote:Thanks TimB. My A&P said that the motor was running but no fuel was being pumped so something inside the pump failed. The symptom was that I got no increase in fuel pressure by switching it on during run-up. When the engine was shut down, I switched on the battery master and the fuel pump. There was no rise in fuel pressure on the fuel pressure gauge but you could hear the pump running faintly.
This sometimes happens on my MX-7-180. It seems due to an air lock, which I assume is precisely the condition which this pump is intended to alleviate or prevent...

Anyway, the checlist says to run it for a few seconds before start-up, so I do. :wink:
MX-7-180 N280SA

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I guess it could be vapor lock but my A&P looked at it and seems to think there's an internal problem with the pump. First time it's ever happened on my airplane in 22 years. Symptom that led me to overhaul the Dukes pump last year was fuel leaking out of the pump seals. I've never dissected one of these pumps but I've seen other types with nylon or plastic parts inside that didn't look like they would last.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Andy, I’m sure you know this, and it doesn’t sound like this is your problem, but for others out there researching a problem and coming across this someday:

It is critical that you bleed the boost pump before actuating it anytime the fuel system has been drained, or a part of it has been drained that would cause the boost pump to potentially empty. This most commonly happens when draining the gascolator to inspect at annual. The pump does not like to self-prime, and running it dry while trying to get it to prime can damage it. Priming is easy: Turn the fuel selector to a tank that has fuel, crack the fuel line connection on the outlet side of the pump, and leave it open until the air is pushed out and fuel flows. Retighten the fitting, then proceed as normal.
The usual safety precautions about working with flammable liquids apply.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Thanks Andy Y. No, I don't think this is my problem since the pump worked fine for almost a year after the overhaul and re-installation. The only thing unusual about this failure was that the airplane sat for about 45 days without being flown due to coronavirus stay-at-home restrictions. The fuel system wasn't run dry. My A&P is going to pull the pump today and inspect it. If it looks like something internal, then he will ship it back to CS Aviation for warranty repair. The airplane will probably be down for three weeks.
Andy
1986 MX7-180