rudder tab

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
DonMc

rudder tab

Post by DonMc »

Hello folks!

Anyone got an idea how to legally disable the rudder tab? Plane sure flies and handles better without that thing.

Don

Strata Rocketeer

Post by Strata Rocketeer »

I'd like to turn that darn thing into an honest-to-goodness trim tab. I doubt that the FAA will cooperate.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The only Maule to not have the servo tab on the rudder was the 1994 M7 235. I think 6 were built but it had an interconnect via springs like some of the Cessnas and other manufacturers with big engines. The tab is definately better than the spring system.
What exact problems are showing up with the servo tab system?
The Maule can be landed in 100ft, and can be landed in 20mph crosswind. It also can be brought in very steeply on the edge of stall, or in one.
If we can define some safety issues with the tab, then maybe it can be changed??
Jeremy
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Strata Rocketeer

maules.com wrote:If we can define some safety issues with the tab, then maybe it can be changed??
Jeremy
I don't see any safety issue with it. I just think it's uneccessary. It would be more useful as a functioning trim tab.

I don't need the planes assistance when applying the rudder. This the only pet peeve I have about the Maule.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

My entry above should be corrected. 1984 NOT 1994 M7.
I believe the tab is a requirement of the FAA test pilot rather than B.D. to get the airplane to recover from certain manoevers within the parameters of FAA acceptance. As we know, the Maule is very stable and predictable, but this also means it can stay in certain manoevers without automatic recovery if left to it's own devices.
I'll look further into it for better definition.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

donknee
100+ Posts

Post by donknee »

I've seen some M5's with an extra tab on one of the ailerons, too. In "flymaule.org" there's a story about needing an autopilot, since the airplane doesn't want to fly straight. My M5 has no tab on the aileron and seems to trim out nicely. I think any real aberations come from the pilot. There is a lot to how the wings are "tuned". If you can find someone who knows how to get your airplane "dialed in" to a properly tuned configuration...then go from there. I have not disabled the rudder servo-tab to know how it works without it. I like the idea of being able to control your own rudder, but I'm still learning how to fly the airplane, too.

Strata Rocketeer

maules.com wrote:...I believe the tab is a requirement of the FAA test pilot rather than B.D. to get the airplane to recover from certain manoevers within the parameters of FAA acceptance...
I seem to recall someone at the factory telling me that it was there to help pick up the wing with the rudder for FAA certification, but I can't picture in my head how it could do that when the tab is actuated by movement of the ailerons with the resulting force applied to the rudder.

All I can picture is a chronically lazy FAA test pilot that needs a crutch to help him with the rudder... :?

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

I will check on Bills to see how it was done

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

A tab on the aileron, tells you that the wings are improperly rigged.
An auto pilot is not needed at all for VFR as a rigged airplane will fly by itself, however in IFR it does lighten the workload, BUT do not fully trust mechanical devices and have the ability to handfly in IFR.
Jeremy
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Mauler

Post by Mauler »

My understanding is that the tab was an FAA certification requirement to provide sufficient roll/yaw coupling in the event of losing rudder control. Particularly the drooped-wingtip models have very little roll/yaw stability.
M5-210TC