HD Gear Fairings

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
erik van veenen
100+ Posts

Re: Oleos

Post by erik van veenen »

jmtgt wrote:
erik van veenen wrote:

If you really doubt there ever will by any from me, go ahead and order a complete set, you will have it within a week. Put your money were your mouth is.
Let me see buy a product never seen or tested? According to you the axles are 20 weeks out. Oh and no cost stated at this time. I am not sure where you went to business school but no thanks.
erik van veenen wrote:Not approved mind you, do your ow 337.
Hmmmm NOT I will just get the proven STCed Alaskan Bushwheel product thank you.
erik van veenen wrote: Otherwise go over to to Airglass in Anchorage and look at a set there they have to fit the new Hydr. Wheel Ski. ( which will not fit on the ABW Gear set-up )
Umm why should I have to travel to see your product? You need to make the product available to the customer. Oh and according to Chris at Airglass you are wrong. Alaskan Bushwheel gear will work on their product.

Oh Utah Maule you are to funny. See you at Austin! :D
Titanium axle is 20 weeks out, steel you can have tomorrow.

erik van veenen
100+ Posts

Re: Gear

flyer wrote:ERIK

What is the cost of your gear, oleos, etc.? How much money?

Dick
The AK.BW set-up is 4000,- ours, complete with Oleo & Gear & Steel Axles will be around the same once the STC has been issued.
For an experimental set its about a 1000.- less for the same set-up.
Pictures will be on Barnstormers in upcoming ads.

erik van veenen
100+ Posts

Re: Oleos

jmtgt wrote:
erik van veenen wrote:

If you really doubt there ever will by any from me, go ahead and order a complete set, you will have it within a week. Put your money were your mouth is.
Let me see buy a product never seen or tested? According to you the axles are 20 weeks out. Oh and no cost stated at this time. I am not sure where you went to business school but no thanks.
erik van veenen wrote:Not approved mind you, do your ow 337.
Hmmmm NOT I will just get the proven STCed Alaskan Bushwheel product thank you.
erik van veenen wrote: Otherwise go over to to Airglass in Anchorage and look at a set there they have to fit the new Hydr. Wheel Ski. ( which will not fit on the ABW Gear set-up )
Umm why should I have to travel to see your product? You need to make the product available to the customer. Oh and according to Chris at Airglass you are wrong. Alaskan Bushwheel gear will work on their product.

Oh Utah Maule you are to funny. See you at Austin! :D
They must have modified the Ski set up ??

Anyhow, I will not make any more "promises" or other statements on any Maule issue just to suit you.
I am just looking for another Lyc. O540-B4B5 or O360-C1F Crank if that does not offend you ?

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:shock:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erik van veenen
100+ Posts

MauleWacko wrote:I like Van Halen ( where have all the good times gone) I also like the looks and design of your oleo and the effort you Mr Van veenen are doing. I can see how you would feel having put out photos of what you time and cost are for a product. It is an open market and competitive. One good example is Tim's exhaust systems, been around a while. Now look at the one ABW is selling looks dam close except for ball joint . There are pictures of both here on the site. I myself would not post a photo of anything until I had it in the bag. I also would not pay 4K for landing gear. It will fly the same in the air and it will fly a hell of a lot farther on $4K of 100LL. :shock:
Thanks for the support, Image

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

Jeez people. I really don't think anyone needs to be bashing Erik here. He is right...he IS doing something. I appreciate his efforts and sure hope I am not alone. Yeah, maybe his gear is taking longer than he thought (or WE thought) but that is just about every project I tackle. Looking forward to seeing what you roll out the door whenever it rolls out the door, Erik.

Oh...and back to the thread topic...nice job on the gear fairings, Andy.

Paul
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

BatMaule wrote:Jeez people. I really don't think anyone needs to be bashing Erik here. He is right...he IS doing something. I appreciate his efforts and sure hope I am not alone. Yeah, maybe his gear is taking longer than he thought (or WE thought) but that is just about every project I tackle. Looking forward to seeing what you roll out the door whenever it rolls out the door, Erik.

Paul
I guess Mr Van told me!:shock:

My problem is the false info he has provided (his gear is the only gear that works with Airglass and that is false), the number of times HE told the group there would be photos, a stock length gear available (before his extended) and his mach up would be available to see last year.

He continues to make statements on how much better his design is over ABW but never backs it up. He can build what he wants I could care less what he does. I know enough about Mr Van Veenen and will never do business with him. I do not care how good his product is. I am entitled to my opinion and the right to choose who I do business with.

Now my Pathetic do nothing life has to get back into my machine shop and build my customers rifles.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Thanks for the compliment Paul :)

I do agree that everyone has a right to their opinion, and a right to do business with whom they please. That said, I think most of us enjoy these forums most when they are kept friendly, and free of vitriol. I think I understand something about the viewpoints and frustrations of both (all?) parties, though I also know that I don't know all the facts and perspectives, as I just came to this group last fall. Personally, I'd just like to focus on talking about the cool stuff we like about these planes, and helping each other out with answers to questions, etc.
If I've offended anyone with any of my comments/posts at any point, I sincerely apologize.

Andy

Christine
Site Admin

hijacked thread

Post by Christine »

Andy, I like your fairings. Will do the same with my gear.

Yes, guys, please keep it friendly.
This thread had been hijacked and I may split the topics into two different threads or merge the extended gear thread into another extended gear thread.
If anyone decides to remove the posts which are better said in a private conversation rather than in a public forum, please delete your posts or ask me to delete it. Also here is a reminder, if someone feels offended by posts, just let me know.
Thank you all for keeping this an informative and fun forum for everyone.
Christine
06WN '88 MX7-180 MaulePilots.org Founder
ck "at" maulepilots "dot" org

erik van veenen
100+ Posts

jmtgt wrote:
BatMaule wrote:Jeez people. I really don't think anyone needs to be bashing Erik here. He is right...he IS doing something. I appreciate his efforts and sure hope I am not alone. Yeah, maybe his gear is taking longer than he thought (or WE thought) but that is just about every project I tackle. Looking forward to seeing what you roll out the door whenever it rolls out the door, Erik.

Paul
I guess Mr Van told me!:shock:

My problem is the false info he has provided (his gear is the only gear that works with Airglass and that is false), the number of times HE told the group there would be photos, a stock length gear available (before his extended) and his mach up would be available to see last year.

He continues to make statements on how much better his design is over ABW but never backs it up. He can build what he wants I could care less what he does. I know enough about Mr Van Veenen and will never do business with him. I do not care how good his product is. I am entitled to my opinion and the right to choose who I do business with.

Now my Pathetic do nothing life has to get back into my machine shop and build my customers rifles.[/quote
It is the only gear that will work without modification for Hydr. Wheel Skis. ( welding on the tab to fit the Airglas Ski arm, as is the case with the ABW Gear & stock Maule Gear ) that is a fact. The only gear that can be properly aligned without a 10 ft. long pipe. Yes, it is innovative in design, not neccessarily better than ABW,s gear. "Better" is a very subjective notion. Why did you not take the time to go over to Airglas to look at the gear ? I simply do not understand your hostility ? I am sure you make pretty nice Rifles, which even If I did not like them, I would never offend any one ( or you ) with hostile comments. Especially if I had never even seen one.
PS. my favorite rifle is the Mauser 66 in 30-06 with German Claw Mounts for the Zeiss scope and a classical oiled stock.

NZMaule

Post by NZMaule »

So back on topic...... has anyone else put fairings on the extended HD gear similar to what TimB posted a while back - which looked good. Any reports on what the new AK Bushwheels extended gear may lose in terms of speed compared with the faired standard legs??
While my Maule is not a speed machine every little bit helps :)

erik van veenen
100+ Posts

NZMaule wrote:So back on topic...... has anyone else put fairings on the extended HD gear similar to what TimB posted a while back - which looked good. Any reports on what the new AK Bushwheels extended gear may lose in terms of speed compared with the faired standard legs??
While my Maule is not a speed machine every little bit helps :)
I know for a fact that unfaired gear legs will cost you considerable in speed/fuel, opposite the faired legs. ( based on Std. Gears )
I used to fly the same 300 mile 2 or 3 x a day 4 or 5 x a week (600 m/rt ) in my M5, and on occasion had my fairings of the stock gear for repair reasons. I kept pretty close track of the fuel and noticed the increase clearly.
Don't have the figures here, but at today's fuel prices it would really add up.
The increased moment , sticking further out, of the extended gear drag should be even worse than on the shorter stock gear. I am sure it can be calculated. A fine textbook example of efficient Fairings are to be seen on the WW2 Westland Lysander.

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/1 ... sander.htm
Might not look sexy or macho, but sure paid off.

Making a clean Fairing set-up for the ABW without spending too much money should should be relatively easy, and a good investment, I would think.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

how hard would it be to just cut the step off and grind the weld off of the heavy duty gear. I would think you could then just cut the bottom of the fairing off higher to pass the gusset and then not have to cut the slot hole for the step . I don't have a step now on my stock gear and I can stand on my 29's and put gas in without a ladder if there isn't one...or maybe Wup will make a set without the step if you want,,, I'd have to ask him,,
Iceman

erik van veenen
100+ Posts

iceman wrote:how hard would it be to just cut the step off and grind the weld off of the heavy duty gear. I would think you could then just cut the bottom of the fairing off higher to pass the gusset and then not have to cut the slot hole for the step . I don't have a step now on my stock gear and I can stand on my 29's and put gas in without a ladder if there isn't one...or maybe Wup will make a set without the step if you want,,, I'd have to ask him,,
If I remember the FAR,s it is not permitted to grind a weld down or flush, on a structural part on the tubular fuselage.
Correct me if I am wrong.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

but this isn't the fuselage per se.... and the step is just a tack on thing.. or maybe it would just be another of those HUH. things. you do that no one ever asks about or knows about....or for that matter even gives a rats ass over...
Iceman