HD Gear Fairings

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
erik van veenen
100+ Posts

Post by erik van veenen »

erik van veenen wrote:
Andy Young wrote:These are the regular-length gear legs, not the extended. Brake upgrade, in my mind, is linked to tire size, not gear strength. The single-puck brakes are fine with the 8.50 tires. I'll upgrade them if I go to larger tires. I upgraded the gear legs because I had them available, and doing so eliminated a possible failure area.

Andy
Nice solution & work on re-using the old Fairings. I am surprised how many Maule users leave their fairings off. The extra drag and performance degradation is much under estimated.
You have one major failure area in the gear set-up remaining: The Oleo !
Careful inspection of the 4 bolts in the upper Oleo Cylinder will show elongation in a high percentage.
A heavy pancake landing with the beefed-up gear makes that area even more critical. Here the result of a heavy landing with ABW Gear. Too much to handle for the poor old stock Oleo.
You can emagine what happened to the Prop, Crank, Fuselage tubing on this one. Major repairs, costs. A safety cable would have prevented a lot of grief here.Image

NZMaule

Post by NZMaule »

So presumably the new AK Bushwheels extended gear has heavier duty oleos as well given these are replaced as part of the HD extended gear????

erik van veenen
100+ Posts

NZMaule wrote:So presumably the new AK Bushwheels extended gear has heavier duty oleos as well given these are replaced as part of the HD extended gear????
I honestly do not know their construction of the extended Oleo for their extended Gear. They got their set-up approved by the FAA, so you,d have to ask Wup at ABW Sales.

Our BVR Oleo is made from scratch, with our own tooling.
We start with a 4130 Tube of much heavier wall, turn the lower section down to leave a substantial collar at the top , than Swage the lower section to the classical Maule Oleo shape . For the he lower tube we use is also heavier wall Tear-Drop profile, similar to the Wing Struts, which is cut to shape to be welded to the top cylinder. After welding the cylinder is honed to roundness & tolerance to take the stock inerts or our improved inerts.
The lower streamlined tube allows an optional safety cable to be internally installed, so as to not cause the drag like on a Cub. ( By itself the Streamlined tube should already give improved aerodynamics )
Additionally we will have a lighter weight Titanium Coil Spring to replace the heavy steel one. These are Ti springs on order, but have a rather long lead time ( 20 weeks )
The optional C185 type ( copy ) Titanium Axle will be available at the same time as the whole Gear set-up. ( standard axles are steel ) All parts are made in the USA with approved, traceable materials.

Our Oleo will not fit the AK BW extended Gear, but is fully interchangeable with the stock Maule Oleo., or to be used with our BVR Landing Gear. ( also here Landing Gear our design is substantially different from the AK BW Extended Gear )
In other words, a BVR heavy duty, extended gear is not required to use the improved BVR Oleo.Image

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Are your BVR oleas available for sale yet, or are you still working towards that? Do you have an STC approved yet? What is the cost?

Andy

chetharris
100+ Posts

Oleos

Post by chetharris »

How much stronger is this oleo? Why not make an extended oleo as well? Besides the changed spring, how is the new insert different/better? Will you sell just the titanium springs? In my experience the oleo is the weak link.

The pictures and more of them will help your cause much more than not posting because of trade secret concerns. The pictures are great. Nice to see new devlopments and ideas in the Maule world. I hope there is room in the certified marketplace for more such devlopments.

Regards,
Chet

erik van veenen
100+ Posts

BVR Oleo

I would say a lot stronger.

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Re: Oleos

Post by jmtgt »

chetharris wrote:
The pictures and more of them will help your cause much more than not posting because of trade secret concerns. The pictures are great.
There were supposed to be pics last year. There was supposed to be a mock up last year at the Airmen Show. I am sorry I am starting to think they do not and will not ever exist.

erik van veenen
100+ Posts

jmtgt wrote:
chetharris wrote:
The pictures and more of them will help your cause much more than not posting because of trade secret concerns. The pictures are great.
There were supposed to be pics last year. There was supposed to be a mock up last year at the Airmen Show. I am sorry I am starting to think they do not and will not ever exist.
Let your elf be surprised. It took ABW 2 years to get their approval.

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

erik van veenen wrote:
Let your elf be surprised. It took ABW 2 years to get their approval.
Ah but they they never promised mach ups or photos over and over. When they did announce it they provided photos at that time.

Sowwy just calling it as I read it. :)

erik van veenen
100+ Posts

jmtgt wrote:
erik van veenen wrote:
Let your self be surprised. It only took ABW 2 years to get their approval.
Ah but they they never promised mach ups or photos over and over. When they did announce it they provided photos at that time.

Sowwy just calling it as I read it. :)
Well it was probably a mistake on my side, trying to push harder than circumstances allowed. Did I ever use the word "promise" ? I don't recall.

"Loose lips sink ships", I got to think after. Never the less, we are plugging away on it and just have finish the Drop Test etc.
Pictures of the Oleo you have seen.
Attached is a detail shot of the BVR Maule Gear welding jig for the rear attachment billet.
My BVR Gear does not have just welded on gear attach bushing on a squeezed tube, like others and stock Maule, rather CNC machined billets , front and back for greater strength and precision.

If you really doubt there ever will by any from me, go ahead and order a complete set, you will have it within a week. Put your money were your mouth is. Not approved mind you, do your ow 337. Otherwise go over to to Airglas in Anchorage and look at a set there they have to fit the new Hydr. Wheel Ski. ( which will not fit on the ABW Gear set-up ) Image

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Erik, you really need a PR person. You may be able to produce the part, but your sales/advertising technic at seriously lacking.

All good intentions I'm sure, but some people just are not meant to deal with the public as a representative.

flyer
100+ Posts

Gear

Post by flyer »

ERIK

What is the cost of your gear, oleos, etc.? How much money?

Dick
Flyer

UtahMaule
100+ Posts

Post by UtahMaule »

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

erik van veenen wrote:

If you really doubt there ever will by any from me, go ahead and order a complete set, you will have it within a week. Put your money were your mouth is.
Let me see buy a product never seen or tested? According to you the axles are 20 weeks out. Oh and no cost stated at this time. I am not sure where you went to business school but no thanks.
erik van veenen wrote:Not approved mind you, do your ow 337.
Hmmmm NOT I will just get the proven STCed Alaskan Bushwheel product thank you.
erik van veenen wrote: Otherwise go over to to Airglass in Anchorage and look at a set there they have to fit the new Hydr. Wheel Ski. ( which will not fit on the ABW Gear set-up )
Umm why should I have to travel to see your product? You need to make the product available to the customer. Oh and according to Chris at Airglass you are wrong. Alaskan Bushwheel gear will work on their product.

Oh Utah Maule you are to funny. See you at Austin! :D

erik van veenen
100+ Posts

Mog wrote:Erik, you really need a PR person. You may be able to produce the part, but your sales/advertising technic at seriously lacking.

All good intentions I'm sure, but some people just are not meant to deal with the public as a representative.
Comes with being Dutch perhaps. I just get tired of being needled and agitated by child like cynical remarks. " we don,t believe you...blah blah blah .. etc.."
I am doing something at least. Together with my than one time partner Jeremy Ainsworth we/I brought the first powder coated fuselage , the first full size Sky-Light, the first 3 Bladed Prop, the 86" 2 Bladed all adopted by the Maule factory.
Should have kept quiet from the beginning on this BVR Gear issue I guess to avoid the cynics. AK BW did approach it more professionaly I realize now by being more hush all along for the 2 years it took them to get their gear STC.

I still have big bag of tricks for the Maule STC,s I am working on, one by one in a timely mannner, but will keep hush until ripe for the market. I will develop them on the M5, MX7 & M7 planes I have just for this purpose.

I,ll come back on Barnstormers when all is done. I have more than enough of this being put down, especially by those cynics who do or have never done anything.