VG's on MXT-180

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
cj8vet

VG's on MXT-180

Post by cj8vet »

Are they available for my plane? if so,can someone point me to a site where I can find out about the availability,installation and performance changes they make. Or just tell me some real world results.
Thanks
Mark
cj8vet
mark richardson
MXT-180
N234PP

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

Call Jeremy at Maule Worldwide...he can get them for you. 707-942-5934

You can also get them here: http://www.microaero.com/pages/k_maule.html

Definitely worth the money...they will give you better aileron authority as well as increased elevator effectiveness in the slow flight arena. They keep the tail from getting soft in slow flight and help keep you from running out of elevator.
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

Also now that I have some flight time with the gap seals I can definitely see and feel the difference. Gap seals at 56 dollars are definitely worth the money. If you don't have them get them. They will be a great compliment to your VG's which I also have. Iceman
Iceman

Sam Rutherford
100+ Posts

diy installation

Post by Sam Rutherford »

Hi, are the VGs easy to install? Do they need any sign-off?

Thanks, Sam.
MX7 180-B

www.prepare2go.com
TV/Film & Rally-Raid Logistics

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

It takes an IA for VG's as there is a 337 involved. Expect to spend at least a half a day after you paint them. They are easy to paint. Gap seals if you don't have them are easier, cheaper and have more effect. Do the gapseals for sure.

Mr. Ed

vg

Post by Mr. Ed »

I installed my VG's and had the IA come over and inspect/sign off. Took the better part of two days but I'm kind of annal about how things look and exact placement. I installed micro's VG and their kit is very complete. Instructions are also good. One thing I figured out that the instructions don't detail is: Once you start to glue the VG's on, after every 3rd or 4th VG stop gluing and peal the template off and clean up the excess glue. If you try to clean the glue with the template still in place around the VG you're going to miss some and the template is going to get glued down around the VG. Also, I ordered paint to match what the log said matched color and type for my plane. I sprayed the VG's in my shop and then took them out to the plane only to find that the colors didn't match. :x I had to take an inspection cover down to a local paint shop and have them match the color and then repaint. Spray some piece of scrap, let it dry and then take it out to the airport and compare to your plane OUT IN THE SUNLIGHT. Will save you doing it twice. The glue turns brown after it dries out so you want to get all the excess off. I looked at one Maule that looked like the guy used a roller to put on the glue, it was everywhere. :shock: Not the look you want.

Flyin'Dutch'

Post by Flyin'Dutch' »

Microaero sells them for about $700

It takes about 5 hours for 2 people to stick them on. Very easy.
Previously M5-235C GBVFT
FAA CPL/IR AME CAA PPL

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

Guys,
I have a torn gap seal on the right aileron. do I need an IA to sign off on the removal and replacement or can I remove and replace as preventative maintenance?
Thanks,
Tom K.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I think you mis-speak, I don't think your ailerons are gap sealed are they?
For the elevator, it will take an A&P.

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

VG"S and GAP Seals, GOOOD! :D Paint the VG's first! I had the same mismatch problem with paint and it took 2 days!
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

TomD
100+ Posts

Here is the site

Post by TomD »

TomD
100+ Posts

Gap seal

Post by TomD »

Guys,
I have a torn gap seal on the right aileron. do I need an IA to sign off on the removal and replacement or can I remove and replace as preventative maintenance?
Thanks,
Getting the gap seal off without peeling up the paint is the biggest issue. Also clean hands is a must since the clear plastic grabs everything it touches.

If you have a good relation w/ an IA have him sign it off, but it already is in the book somewhere so.......

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Your maintaining the aircraft IAW it's type certificate, replacing the gap seal is a minor repair, so just an A&P, not IA should be required. At least that is how I interpret it. But something like this is NOT preventative maintenance. Yes of course your capable, but it's not legal and improperly documented or undocumentated maintenance if nothing else seriously devalues an airplane.