pop out windows

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
iceman
100+ Posts

pop out windows

Post by iceman »

I'm in the process of installing pop out windows in my M4 and have received the kits from Maule. Problem is the drawings look totally different from what they sent in the kit. I know there's a lot of fabrication involved in this but the drawings are a bit vague. I've talked to Jeremy already and gotten some tips but my mechanics say a few pictures of the inside windows installed in some maules would be a big help. Does anyone have pix of their pop out windows to share. We are also doing patroller doors which is a rather easy mod to do but the windows are a bit confusing so a picture is worth a thousand words in this case. Any help would be appreciated, if you could email them to me I'll forward them to my mechanics. PM me and I'll give you my email address. Thanks Iceman
Iceman

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

I'm not too sure of what you have in mind but the rear seat/door window on my M-4 has a latch at the top and will completly come out leaving a great spot for the rear seat passenger to photo or flour bomb! I have not seen this on any other Maules.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

I'm not that concerned with the Patroller doors as they are pretty easy to do. It's the pop out windows from Maule that are a bit vague in the drawings. They send the kit in parts and all has to be welded and pre assembled, pre painted and all that. THe drawings don't show much of what is required, and I'm sure there are some tips that maule didn't include such as they did for me in a phone conversation when I did my Gap seals. THey advised using a spray bottle with some soapy water before applying the gap seals so as to be able to position them with out them sticking to everything they came in contact with. I'm sure the pictures will help, and a couple of the guys have said they will try too send some. Have you thawed out up there yet Yellowmaule? I'm headed for JC on the 27th of June for 10 days. Iceman
Iceman

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Iceman I sent some mediochre pictures to Jim.
Jeremy
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

maules.com wrote:Iceman I sent some mediochre pictures to Jim.
Jeremy
Yeah he called me and said he talked to you. Evidently Maule only sent half the parts needed for the pop out windows. I realize they are in Georgia and all but it seems they are a little slow on the uptake with their own products. Are they like the Maytag repairman, sitting around all day waiting for something to do? :(
Iceman

Aerobatix

Post by Aerobatix »

Iceman,

I had the "new" style swing out windows and patroller door kits installed on my Maule last year. Iwas actually one of the first to install the "new" swing out kit with the piston arm to hold the window open.

My A/P did the install and did a FANTASTIC job but said it took him way longer than he expected because the Maule drawings and instructions were vague and had chnaged before final relelase. Anyhow, I do have the pics he sent me during the project showing how he had to cut and trim and clamp everything before welding. I can also take as many photos as you need of the completed kits and send them.

I will need your email address. Let me know if this would help. And, BTW my AP said he do the install for anyone needing it. Just ship your doors to him in Lakeland. Just a thought for anyone else considering it.

Thanks!

Rob

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

I would like to turn my M7 doors into patroller doors as well. In addition I want to make the right seat door a swing out window patroller door. I also could use some help finding someone in or near the SF Bay area that has performed the modification and any already has the drawings , pictures, etc.
If anyone knows anybody it is appreciated in advance.
Thanks
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

The nice thing about the "old" style swing out windows with the friction knob is that you can open them only the amount you want. I think the "new" style is either open or closed.

Aerobatix

Post by Aerobatix »

a64pilot wrote:The nice thing about the "old" style swing out windows with the friction knob is that you can open them only the amount you want. I think the "new" style is either open or closed.
While that is true about the old style it also seems like it would require both hands to open/close; one hand to hold the window at whatever position you like, the other to tighten the locking knob to hold the window.

The new style is either full open, or full closed. Also, you can open and close the window with one hand.

I am in Florida so I can't imagine a scenario where I would want the window only partially opened. I do REALLY REALLY like having the windows open. It is one of the nicest mods I've ever had done. The Patroller door bottom windows is a close second!

FWIW....

Rob

Sam Rutherford
100+ Posts

options for the rear window!

Post by Sam Rutherford »

Hi,

Can someone shed a light on the options for rear windows (on the rear right (door) of a MX7)?

I was thinking of a pop-out system - but is there a fully opening window possible like on the front doors?

Thanks for any help with this!

Sam.
MX7 180-B

www.prepare2go.com
TV/Film & Rally-Raid Logistics

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I did LH and RH new style pop open windows for a customer. Rather then use the gas cartridge to hold open all the way, we installed the old style slotted arms with the knobs as customer wanted in between options on opening for up here in cold country. Yes, took several shipments from Maule before we got all the prints, parts, and misc components, and some of the stuff was new style not shown on prints. Caused much confusion with maule on trying to order missing pieces for lack of part numbers. Also suggest doing the new style door latches at same time as that is much much better system that works very well. Would also suggest don't start any work on conversion until you verify you've got all the parts to do mod unless you don't care how long your doors are apart? Took us about 4 months to receive everything!!!
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Sam,

I would not recommend installing swingout window in the rear door as it would interfere with the flaps.

N9657

Post by N9657 »

I installed swing out windows about two years ago on my M5. I had to make detaild drawings of the installation as the provided info was woefully inadiquate. I sent copies to Bryan at Maule but if you want me to e-mail them to you let me know and I will when I get to my office on Monday

Sam Rutherford
100+ Posts

Post by Sam Rutherford »

Thanks Duane - that sounds good advice.

Does anyone have a photo of the 'pop-out' window system? How big is it, and roughly how much does it cost?

Thanks again!

Sam.
MX7 180-B

www.prepare2go.com
TV/Film & Rally-Raid Logistics

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Are you talking about removable windows?