Odyssey battery

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
crbnunit
100+ Posts

Odyssey battery

Post by crbnunit »

Anyone want to share paperwork for a field approval on an Odyssey battery installation? The SBS J-16 appears to be the only one PMA'd. I know there are a few out there! Any issues or catches? These are completely sealed and shouldn't need an enclosure or vent? Thanks in advance!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Lawleraero

Post by Lawleraero »

I thought about putting in the Odessy battery in my M7-235, but after looking at the weight and balance issues decided it won't work unless I lose some weight off the nose. I have a 3 blade prop and original starter and alternator.

Tom

Stumpwater

Re: Odyssey battery

Post by Stumpwater »

crbnunit wrote:Anyone want to share paperwork for a field approval on an Odyssey battery installation? The SBS J-16 appears to be the only one PMA'd. I know there are a few out there! Any issues or catches? These are completely sealed and shouldn't need an enclosure or vent? Thanks in advance!
I am guessing you have resolved this issue by now, but I have a field approval for the Odyssey PC680MJ in my M-6-235 if you want it. It's an under seat installation. According to an Odyssey rep it is the same capacity as the J16. It is a little cheaper.

If you have already been running the Odyssey, I'd be curious to know how you like it. I just bought this airplane and the battery seems too weak. My battery is pretty old though (Like 15 years) so I will buy a new one and see what happens I guess. Seems like people have mixed results with the Odyssey and 540s.
Shiloh

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

15 years is a long time. I'm surprised that it will still run the lighter socket much less start an engine. Have been running a J16 for about four years and love it with the 540.

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

odyssey battery in IO-360. M5-210C

Post by HeavyLoad »

Yah I would be interested in paper work people have with putting a odyssey in a Maule. I know this is a pretty old thread. giving it a little revival.

I have a M5-210C. Wonder if anyone has done a odyssey with a continental.
===========
M5-210C
RV6

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

My present SBS J-16 has been starting the IO540 for 6 or 7 years now.
It is different to standard heavy batteries, in that it needs to be awakened at first morning start. At start key application, sometimes it does not spin the engine, just comes up to first or second compression and hesitates. Rest a moment, then it will start next application.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Maule988ms
100+ Posts

Post by Maule988ms »

I have paperwork if people are interested. Mx7-180. Went from under the passenger seat to firewall. Long road but happy ending. Pm me and we can go from there

Maule988ms
100+ Posts

Post by Maule988ms »

I have paperwork if people are interested. Mx7-180. Went from under the passenger seat to firewall. Long road but happy ending. Pm me and we can go from there

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Stumpwater wrote: I am guessing you have resolved this issue by now, but I have a field approval for the Odyssey PC680MJ in my M-6-235 if you want it. It's an under seat installation. According to an Odyssey rep it is the same capacity as the J16. It is a little cheaper.

If you have already been running the Odyssey, I'd be curious to know how you like it. I just bought this airplane and the battery seems too weak. My battery is pretty old though (Like 15 years) so I will buy a new one and see what happens I guess. Seems like people have mixed results with the Odyssey and 540s.
Yes, long resolved but thanks for keeping me in mind! Mounted on it's side under the passenger seat. It has been starting the IO-360 faithfully for 8yrs now. Never a hiccough or a shudder. I did buy one of the Earthx jump batteries because of it's age though. I have never successfully hand propped the IO-360...
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

My 10+ year old Concorde has served me well but isn't turning the engine over like it once did so here I am. Since I have to replace it I might as well look into lighter options. Just spent some time reading 10 years worth of battery threads and running W&B calculations and I would like to try out the Odyssey SBS J-16 under the front passenger seat that others are running.
I am going to ask my IA his thoughts about the 2014 thread (linked below) regarding the AK FAA's interpretation regarding lightweight batteries but if anyone would like to share a copy of their field approval to be safe I would greatly appreciate it. This will be going in an M5-235C if it makes a difference.

Thanks!
Andrew

And for anyone interested in going down the same path later down the road here were the most relevant posts I found:
Relocate Battery
Odyssey Battery
Gill G35 Or G35M
M5 Battery Location
Lightweight battery installations

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

It just so happens we are working on approval for the Oddesy battery. In fact, we are sending material to lasercut today to make some spacers so it will fit into the current battery box. I'm not sure how far along on the approval process we are, but I'll ask about it when I get to work.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

AndrewK wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:50 pm
My 10+ year old Concorde has served me well but isn't turning the engine over like it once did so here I am. Since I have to replace it I might as well look into lighter options. Just spent some time reading 10 years worth of battery threads and running W&B calculations and I would like to try out the Odyssey SBS J-16 under the front passenger seat that others are running.
I am going to ask my IA his thoughts about the 2014 thread (linked below) regarding the AK FAA's interpretation regarding lightweight batteries but if anyone would like to share a copy of their field approval to be safe I would greatly appreciate it. This will be going in an M5-235C if it makes a difference.

Thanks!
Andrew

Hey Andrew. The IA I was working with when I instilled mine did it as a logbook entry. A TSO'd battery in a stock Maul location. Just adjust the W&B. FYI, Earthx has a TSO'd battery that is about half the weight but about three times the price of an Odessy.

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Thanks Duane, keeps us updated reference model numbers as well.

Tim

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

Duane wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:02 pm
It just so happens we are working on approval for the Oddesy battery. In fact, we are sending material to lasercut today to make some spacers so it will fit into the current battery box. I'm not sure how far along on the approval process we are, but I'll ask about it when I get to work.
Duane - That's great! I did look over at the Maule website's REL/OEL lists before I posted to see if by chance it had been added since the last time I looked so glad to hear it is in the works. Do you know if this will apply to the M5 (and even the M4)? Thanks for the heads-up.
crbnunit wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:01 pm
Hey Andrew. The IA I was working with when I instilled mine did it as a logbook entry. A TSO'd battery in a stock Maul location. Just adjust the W&B. FYI, Earthx has a TSO'd battery that is about half the weight but about three times the price of an Odessy.
crbnunit - I would be ok with the stock location (in the tail) as long as the long cable runs don't affect starting too badly. I did see a reference to someone doing this in the threads I read so it sounds like it is an option. A logbook entry-only process also would be the fastest way to move forward for now.
The EarthX does sound tempting as well... Thanks!

Stumpwater

Re:

Post by Stumpwater »

gbarrier wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:49 am
15 years is a long time. I'm surprised that it will still run the lighter socket much less start an engine. Have been running a J16 for about four years and love it with the 540.
What starter do you have? I bought a new battery and the starter is still uncomfortably weak. I have to bump it every cold start. I have a magnaflite starter.
Shiloh