Odyssey battery

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
vern

Re: Odyssey battery

Post by vern »

Odyssey battery in OEM Maule location, M4-210c

StepOnTheBall

Post by StepOnTheBall »

Has the Odyssey battery been approved for the M-7 yet? Looks like Duane said paperwork was submitted last August.

Thanks!

Brandon

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I didn't realize that the Odyssey battery is installed in the tail cone. That's a really long run of 4 AWG battery cable to the starter. Better make sure the terminal lug contacts are clean, free of corrosion and tight or you'll have a lot less than 12 volts driving the starter.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

Andy,

I have the SBS-16 Hawker battery Mounted under the seat. I'm on my 2nd battery. The 1st one now powers my kabota HST 7100. They just don't die and I saved around 15 pounds If I remember correctly.

The hawker is pretty much an exact copy of the Odyssey battery except it is faa approved. It has never let me down as apposed to the Gill lead acid, Which I had to hand prop for about a month until I got the approval for the hawker.

The Odyssey will be a great improvement at much less cost and its powering many, if not all, of the RV Lycoming one eighties.

I look forward to Duane's work.
Tom K.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

SBS-16 Hawker / Odyssey same thing.

You're right. just don't die. Replaced after five years just because I thought I should. I felt good about the 16AH battery because I had installed G5s which have several hours of backup internal battery but have been thinking lately. The G5s GAD20B and GMU11 are still powered by ships battery so what happens when ship's power fail to them. Bet we don't have an HSI any more and certainly no navigators.

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

One potential downside to the Hawker/Odyssey is that it’s not load rated for the Lycoming electronic ignition. Was looking at Lycoming website and found that it requires a 20 amp hour ships battery. The SBSJ-15 is only 15 amp hour. That is for continued flight after an alternator failure.

It turns my O540-J1A5D pretty well despite the long cable run. Overall I am satisfied with the SBS-J15, though it places the cg very far forward on a 540 powered Maule. As far as I know, all 540 powered Maule have the battery in the tail.

I am headed for an engine overhaul soon and was shopping factory exchange. Light weight starter and alternator will help cg. Right now, I am equipped with old original starter and alternator.

Good justification for a composite prop while I’m at it $$$.

Kirk

smurfsky101

Post by smurfsky101 »

What alternator are you looking at / did you order for your 540?

jsperin

Post by jsperin »

Bumping this thread back up. Need to get a new battery and am looking at Odyssey JB-16 or and earthx. Would like to move it under seat or to the fire wall. Any recent thoughts or new mounts come approved?

Jeff
1986 M5-235C
4AK6

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Jeff,
With the M5-235C, I think you will find switching to the Odyssey AND moving it forward will place your CG too far forward. Might get away with it if you have a 2 blade composite prop, light weight starter AND alternator.

Do some W&B calculations just based on switching the Odyssey in the existing aft location first. After that, you will see if any forward movement is desirable.

Kirk

netconn

Post by netconn »

I think your you're going to have a legal problem installing a non approved battery and/or moving the battery.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Bunch of 337s out there on the installation of the Odyssey and since Maules have them up front and out back depending on model so just need a de4scent fed.

jsperin

Post by jsperin »

Weight and balance issue may be resolved as I damaged the lower cowling beyond repair (another story for another time) decided to go with the carbon concept cowl which should net a weight savings of ? 10-18 pounds according to carbon concepts. That should shift my cg sufficiently enough to move the battery forward.
1986 M5-235C
4AK6

Curtis
100+ Posts

Post by Curtis »

Dang, my Odyssey battery is way over 5 years. I may need to replace it. Its been cranking my Franklin since 2012 with no problems. I do have a Zero Turn mower that needs a battery replaced. I will buy a new Odyssey for the M4 and put the old one in the mower.
Curtis