Holy Airbrakes Batman!!

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Holy Airbrakes Batman!!

Post by Lowflybye »

It is our understanding that our 1994 MX-7-180B is one of only (2) B models that left the factory without the 48 degree flap setting. In laymens terms that means that I have only had access to -7, 0, 24, & 40 degrees...until today! Our "flap handle notch thingy" (that is the official part name) got worn out and needed replaced so we ordered a replacement that had the 48 degree notch as well. Today on final approach I had my power set and my airspeed at 60...set up as I normally did for a no wind, 40 degree flap landing and all was going great. I decided to see how the 48 degrees would work out and HOLY $@%&...add power quick to maintain airspeed. I did not realize that we had ordered a replacement anchor for the USS Ronald Reagan. If the Maule had airbags installed I am sure they would have deployed. I guess it is just that I was so used to the feel and speeds of the previous "full flap" setting that I was not expecting the drastic change that 8 degrees will make.

Correct me if I am wrong Jeremy, but It seems as though the additional 8 degrees adds little to no lift, but greatly increases drag which helps with airspeed control in the high approach / short field landing scenario. It seems to behave more like a speed brake at the 48 degree setting.

The good news is that I can be down and stopped even shorter now and cannot wait to get out and "play" with the new possibilities a little more. I just have to remember to carry more power than before until I get used to managing the airspeed in the new setting since she slows down greatly in the flair. It seems to handle more like a M5 in the flair with the full 48 degrees.

-Chris
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I'm not Jeremy, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night :D Most aircraft have three "notches" of flap. Generally the first provides lift with only a little drag increase, second, a little more lift and a lot more drag and third mostly drag. Maule breaks with tradition with their forth which of course is almost all drag. I still think of it as three just because My mind just won't accept 0deg. flap as first notch. I think with a 180 your shortest takeoff distance is with the first "real" notch of flap. It would appear to me that with my 235 if I'm light and the DA is low that I can get off a little quicker with the second notch.
Instead of carrying more power in the approach, try a steeper approach angle, but things will happen rather quicker at the bottom with that 48 deg. Don't get too slow on final or you won't have any elevator authority in the flair either. I got too slow once and it cost me a lot of money and I was without my airplane for the better part of a year :oops:

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Chris--

Aint' it great, mine has the 48* flap as well and it works well for sure. 8)

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

a64pilot wrote: Instead of carrying more power in the approach, try a steeper approach angle, but things will happen rather quicker at the bottom with that 48 deg. Don't get too slow on final or you won't have any elevator authority in the flair either.
I experimented a bit with the steep approach and 48 degrees yesterday as well. The wind was light and variable and I was about 1/2 mile final and 65 mph at pattern altitude (1500 ft.) when I pulled full flaps and put her into a hard slip and held 55 - 60 mph down to the #'s. I have a few landings in a M5-235 so I was ready with the throttle in the flair in the event that my elevator went soft. I had to add power to taxi to the first turn-off at 800 feet. Needless to say the local flight school students in the Diamond DA-20's had to pick their jaws up off the floor.

I played with different settings at altitude and slowed her WAAYYY down. I had the IAS below 40 and wings level while seeing a 300 fpm decent. She stayed steady and I rode down like an elevator. I am sure I could get a better VS rate once I learn the power management a little better, but still an interesting discovery. I cannot wait to play around with the flap settings a bit more.

It was definately a good decision on Maule's part to add the 48 degree option.

-Chris
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

rick

48degree flaps

Post by rick »

Hey guys, I seem to remember reading in one of the avaition mags that I receive that the 48 degree flap does not come in untill you are 55 mph or slower in the Maule. I do know for sure that if you put in the 48 be really carefull and ready with the power. My M-7 would turn into an elevator and it was a swallow your heart experience the first time I did it. Get with some one who has a lot of experience in the Maule (and there is a lot out there of you guys) before you try it yourself. There would be some landing reconfiguration real quick in some situtiions. Well got to go to Sun and Fun friday. you noticed I said got to go :lol: It is only an hour and half from here where I live driving. Any one in the area that needs a ride to Sun & Fun from here I do have room if you don't mind riding in a Rubicon. Have a fun day flying.
Rick(tumbleweed).

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Rick,
I'm leaving this afternoon for sun-n-fun. I'll be in general aircraft camping. N107JB maroon and beige. Not many Maules show up I've been disappointed with that.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

For the sake of your flap mechanism think 90, 80, 70mph max speeds for lowering 24, 40, 48deg flaps. The 48deg will reach full down at 55mph if adjusted correctly and if not too much elevater trim is applied, will still provide a flare. The approach will be steeper which is what you want, you just have to get used to a different view.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

rick

Sun&Fun

Post by rick »

A-64
I was at Sun & Fun Friday and my wife and I walked the line looking for your plane but did not locate you or the plane. I sure it was because our dogs were so tired after 4 hrs of Sun&Fun we decided to call it quits for the day. You were probably located just a little further down the line. Well it was fun anyway. Aviation is not having a good week. My daughter just called from Beaufort SC and told me she was leaving the air show there and one of the Navy Blue Angels crashed(fatal). Well are you going to Oshkosh? I might or Alaska to fish don't know yet. Have fun.

Rick(Tumbleweed).

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Here's Jeremy's April 21, 2007 post on the subject of flap speeds. If you go faster than these, the flaps will likely retract some.
maules.com wrote:For the sake of your flap mechanism think 90, 80, 70mph max speeds for lowering 24, 40, 48deg flaps. The 48deg will reach full down at 55mph if adjusted correctly and if not too much elevater trim is applied, will still provide a flare. The approach will be steeper which is what you want, you just have to get used to a different view.
I slow to 60 mph before starting my descent and apply 24 degrees on downwind, 40 degrees on base and 48 degrees on final. Normally, I keep the airspeed at 60 mph for the entire landing but if I want to land shorter, I use a final approach speed of 55 mph. Obviously, this only applies to a normal pattern, not a back country airstrip.

This doesn't answer your question about how to adjust the flaps, but even if you adjust them, the settings may not hold if you exceed these airspeeds.
Andy
1986 MX7-180