Change droop tip to square

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
210TC
100+ Posts

Change droop tip to square

Post by 210TC »

Jeremy, Time to answer questions...........
What happens when you replace droop tips with square tips???
It appears maule did this after the M5? What was lost, what was gained??

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

To do a comparison, would be to look at the M5 180 and 235, versus the early (1984-2002) MX7 180 and 235.
The total wingspan is the same 30'10" however the M5 has a delta/droop tip with the measurement at the tip, thus the MX7 has more lifting surface.
The airfoil is the same, however the MX7 has chain and torquetube driven flaps which are superior to the pull cable system on the M5.
The MX7 flaps are larger but the aileron smaller.
The M5 droop appears to have the higher speed , you will find a very tight vortices pattern thus less drag if you compare to many other wings.
The M5 wing/aileron appear to give a faster roll rate than the MX7.
The MX7 flap system gives a slower stall and thus landing speed.
With the change in wing ends the larger tip tank is also incorporated.
Another change between these models was the elevator trim tab from aerodynamic balance to weight balance.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Would it be true to say that the change in tip was to enable a longer aileron to be fitted? I believe the square tip is shorter which would allow for a longer aileron without lengthing wingspan. If you increase the wingspan the FAA will make you pull (static test) the wings again.
My early M-6 has droop tips, I think the droop tips have less drag. I think the square tips allow for an increase in roll response without sacrificing flap length by allowing for a longer aileron, but you increase drag a little. Let me get low and slow in a gusty crosswind and I may have to use my feet to raise a low wing in My M-6 whereas an M-7 may not have to.
I want to see how much VG's will help with roll control when I'm low and slow.
I think the answer to what you were asking is that you gain a little in roll control because the square tip will allow a bigger aileron, but you loose a little with a small increase in drag. I would like to see an experimental certified Maule with the "universal" wing with droop tips, just to see how much difference there really is.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

You M6 has longer wingspan than M4, M5, Early MX7, but it's aileron and thus rudder also are too small and thus a handfull in dirty air. The M6 tips, wing and rudder were improved in 1986, which makes them very similar to all Maule wings from 1993 on. VG's would help alot, or there is a mod kit put out by Maule Air.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide