Aileron and Flap Rivets

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
n1264d

Aileron and Flap Rivets

Post by n1264d »

I am rebuilding a 1971 M4 210 and am working on the flaps and ailerons. It will be experimental when I am done as there are no mechanics up here and I am not a mechanic. What are the type of rivets used to hold the skin to the ribs in the ailerons and flaps? They appear to be aluminum pop rivets. Are they really cherry max rivets or am I really confusing myself on something really simple? I don't see how the all aluminum pop rivets could be approved but I guess as always I could be wrong.

Thanks!

beaver

Post by beaver »

they are SS pop rivets, no approval will exist unless you buy them from Maule, I've re-skinned both and purchased the rivets from Maule both times

n1264d

Post by n1264d »

I am going experimental with the aircraft as I will be changing a few other things. Do they appear to be standard ss rivets or do they have a special lock mechanism? If standard hardware store I would be very tempted to purchase them locally as I am not going certified. Any ideas would be helpful.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

Just got through with annual and My A&P found a cracked flap spar on the right flap. He ordered the spar an d rivets from maule. Apparently not just any rivet will do. He also beefed up the doubler in the spar to be stronger as per a suggestion from WUP.
Iceman

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

If I were going experimental, I would think real hard about the SS rivets. There is a disimilar metals corrosion issue with them.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I believe aluminium rivets would be too soft and wear. Steel would also be dissimilar metals and will eventually rust. The rivets that Maule uses only ever show dissimilar metal contamination if the aircraft is used around saltwater. If the wings and control surfaces are annually fogged with anti corrosion liquid then corrosion at salt is quite containable. No salt, no problems.
On a Maule, the first signs of an untreated, near salt aircraft, show up with blistering paint at the rivets on the bottom of the leading edge skin of the flap.
There are only 8 pop rivets in a Maule wing and they are non structural.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

maule367x

Post by maule367x »

I think they are hardware store steel rivits. newer Maules use SS.
RT

n1264d

Post by n1264d »

Thanks for all the info. I think I will be ordering from Maule and just do it they way they did. I will keep everyone updated if I change things around a bit.

beaver

Post by beaver »

you made the correct decision