Alaska Bush Wheels

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
tworude

Alaska Bush Wheels

Post by tworude »

I'm finally getting ABW's next month at the Alaska Airmans show. I had my mind made up on 31's based on Mike W's recommendation and he has owned both but someone else told me to go with 29" or keep an extra set of gear in the shop (I have those now unfortunately!)

Suggesitons please 29 or 31's?

Thanks
Stephen Rude
77 M5-235C N12BE

Lov2fly

AK Bushwheels

Post by Lov2fly »

I have 31's on mine and am very happy with them.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I have the 31"s and like them. Why would you need an extra set of gear?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I've never flown 29's but you've seen my 31's. No complaints. They are sweet off airport and even make pavement soft and cushy. My IA was a little itchy doing wheel landings with them as he had "heard" somewhere the extra spin up force at touchdown could make you nose over. I can't say I've ever noticed much of an issue myself. Makes taxiing a little more of a challenge but I'm tall enough for it not to make much of a difference.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

chetharris
100+ Posts

Go Big or regret it later.

Post by chetharris »

I have never heard anyone who flies the 31's say, "I wish I had the 29's." Everyone I have ever known that flew the smaller tires started wishing for the bigger tires. The more off airport work, the greater desire for the larger tire. The real question is would 35" make even more sense?

Scott

Bush wheels

Post by Scott »

Thanks for the info, I would like to know if there is any more info about wheel landing with the bigger tires since I prefer wheel over 3 point landings and I am also considering changing my 8.50 to the 31's
Thanks
Scott

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

The 31's are actually easier to wheel land then your 8.50's!! You do get just a slight pitching moment when they touch on asphalt, but it's not bad at all.... Easier to wheel land as you can carry more AOA (slower airspeed) prior to nailing the mains...
Jim

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

I can tell you that the big tires are more forgiving and will make any landing easier. As far as wheel landing vs three point, because your three point attitude is now higher that before, the airplane will need to be totally stalled before touching down, otherwise a little bounce will occur. It takes a little getting used to but if you come in slow let your mains hit and then make an agressive pitch forward with the elevator to bring the tail up about two feet off the ground, once you push forward don't look back, commit to pinning the main wheels. Don't relax the elevator, even if there is a little bounce. The big tires will cushion your wheel landings WAY more that the little tires did. This is a technique that works well with the big wheels. At first, stay off the brakes until you lower the tail with aft elevator. After you get used to this style of landing, you can start coming up on brakes while the tail is still up. The way to start this without going up on the nose is once you have pinned the mains, pull some aft elevator to get the tail started down and then as the tail starts to sink apply a little brake to keep the tail up, again, about 24 inches off the ground. If the tail comes up a little too much, relax brakes, if the tail is a little low you can apply a little more brake. Practice this over and over and after a while it will become second nature. Hope this helps

MikeW

tworude

Post by tworude »

Thanks guys, I bought 31's, new cleveland double puck brakes/wheels, HD gear. Damn, now I don't have enough money left for gas!
Stephen Rude
77 M5-235C N12BE

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

A question ! Did you guys with the 31's get a larger bush Tail wheel as well?
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Green Hornet,

It's personal preference depending on what your landing on. The tailwheel is the weak link the system so treat it gently. I have the old Scott 3200 and it does fine. If I'm on soft beaches it digs a little trench behind me when taxing but otherwise it does ok. I like the additional angle of attack with the smaller tail wheel. Also I put a tailwheel ski on in the winter that fits the 3200 and I dont' want to change my tailwheel every winter. The big tailwheel is a little heavier and you lose a little AOA but it really floats nice on soft sand.

MikeW

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

MikeW wrote:Green Hornet,

It's personal preference depending on what your landing on. The tailwheel is the weak link the system so treat it gently. I have the old Scott 3200 and it does fine. If I'm on soft beaches it digs a little trench behind me when taxing but otherwise it does ok. I like the additional angle of attack with the smaller tail wheel. Also I put a tailwheel ski on in the winter that fits the 3200 and I dont' want to change my tailwheel every winter. The big tailwheel is a little heavier and you lose a little AOA but it really floats nice on soft sand.

MikeW
Thanks Mike I recently got the ABW Maule tail Spring to accmodate the ABW 3224.
The ABW 3224 with the ABW Spring is a great modification. I don't even notice I have a tailwheel on landing.
Thanks Again
Bill
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Bill,

Sounds like you have a nice set up there. Enjoy!

Mike

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I knocked a few chips out of my Scott 3200 tail wheel landing in rocks. The big ABW fixed the problem and I love the way it works in soft stuff.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

The 3200 also does much better in snow and on ice if you've got the big tires up front. Last time I tried ABW on snow packed runway had to turn acft about 20 degrees to right of rwy ctr line to counter act torque / p-factor until enough airspeed on rudder for directional control. :oops: Also found it very difficult to control direction just taxiing on ice, with slick large footprint, it would just slide along and differential braking little help.... They sure work nice in most other conditions though! :twisted:
Jim